Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Phillips

Still learning

Hi Jeff, I'm assuming you took these with the D300? Looks like you have the focus and framing figured out. I like the composition of both. Nice job getting close to the Octopus, not easy. I'd suggest the next step is to find subjects that will give you a seperation of the subject and the background. What some of the pros call the negative space (everything that's not the subject). In both images it's kind of blah. Not bad for a first time but not great either. The lighting on the Octo could be improved some by putting at little more of the "face" (not sure octopuses have faces but you get the idea). Looks like you missed a little behind her. This can work if you can get some light in the eyes, but this one looks a little dark to my eye. So next time out see if you can find the octopus with an orange sponge behind her. :lol: Scorpion fish are tough subjects for the same reason. They survive by blending in. A good test is to show the image to a non diver, If you find yourself explaining what they're looking at, You know "the head is here and this is a fin and .........." Probably not one for the den wall.

I have to tell you that everytime I give some input like this I can't help but think of Richard Bach's book "Illusions". In it a man is given a book with all the answers to mankind's questions, and ageless truths of our existence. He spends months studying the book and trying to learn and understand everything he can. Finally on the last page is printed; "Everything in this book may be wrong". So too with my "advice" At the end of the day you have to do what feels and looks right to you. Keep at it, your off to a great start. ^_^

Steve

Steve - Thanks for the advice and input. I think you are right on with both shots. I had no illusions that National Geographic would be asking for permission to use these. If you can believe it the lighting was even worse on the octo shot in the raw file. Heavy post processing to get a usable shot - always an indication of poor form on capture. Like I said in the title - still learning. Everything is harder underwater. Everybody here already knows that but I have new respect for underwater photographers. Hopefully I will continue to improve. Keep the advice coming - I appreciate the time knowledge base. Here is another shot from the same trip:

post-19888-1212325321_thumb.jpg

"Everything in this book may be wrong" Steve, you crack me up! :lol:

I'm a newbie too. Someone suggested to me (re: lionfish pics) to try and get in front and slightly below, so you're shooting up at the face and can get the eyes. Made a huge difference for me and I think the same works for scorpion fish in this case. All the personality is in the eyes (thanks Martin Edge). The Puffer's much better in this regard IMHO.

Phil

Edited by philsokol

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements