Jeff Phillips

Still learning - two more

Here are two more from my last dive trip. I call the first one Nurseferatu:

post-19888-1212454750_thumb.jpg

post-19888-1212454788_thumb.jpg

Maybe I should add - comments and critiques welcome...

What camera system are you using?

Nice picture of the turtle and barnacles.

Shane

What camera system are you using?

Nice picture of the turtle and barnacles.

Shane

Shane:

Thanks for looking I am using a Nikon D300, Sigma 17-70mm, 2 DS-125 Ikelite strobes and an Aquatica housing.

Jeff,

Honestly a nice couple of shots, esp the turtle. It has very nice composition with the fins stretching out to the opposite corners.

Something seems wrong with the colours though, almost a little washed out or flat.

My first thought was maybe you were zoomed in to get closer to the animals, which may also be, but it looks like your strobes are pointing to the lower left corner. The Shark especially seems as though the light is coming from underneath and maybe you cropped the lower half of the photo out ?

Naturally Light underwater comes from above everything .. so you get a more natural looking shot if your strobes are up above your set up and pointing downwards.

Apart from watching strobe placement I would also offer my 2 favourite pieces of advice:

1. Try to shoot upwards, obviously you can't always swim underneath everything to get the shot, but a slight upwards angle will create more vibrant water colour. So pick a subject find a good angle and be patient rather than following a subject around.

2. Get as close as possible, 3-4ft is always a good starting point to get comfortable in for your wide angles.

But like i said nice images, I think with a few tiny improvements you will have some stellar shots from dive trips.

Just a few observations from a fellow amateur. It might be just personal taste, but I find that the white balance on both pictures to be too cool/ blue and could do with upping the WB temperature and shifting the tint more to the reds.

Agree with Giles on the composition. Would be nice if the turtle was coming towards the camera and if you didn't chop the shark in half.

If you don't mind, I took the liberty of doing a quick and dirty WB adjustment in Adobe Bridge Raw on the first jpg (just pushing the WB temperature and tint sliders to the right).

post-4907-1212851101_thumb.jpg

Just a few observations from a fellow amateur. It might be just personal taste, but I find that the white balance on both pictures to be too cool/ blue and could do with upping the WB temperature and shifting the tint more to the reds.

Agree with Giles on the composition. Would be nice if the turtle was coming towards the camera and if you didn't chop the shark in half.

If you don't mind, I took the liberty of doing a quick and dirty WB adjustment in Adobe Bridge Raw on the first jpg (just pushing the WB temperature and tint sliders to the right).

Thanks for the great feedback and suggestions. Giles - you are right on my aiming of the strobes and composition. Like I said still learning.

Great job reprocessing the photo Pakman. I see what you mean by adjusting the white balance and tint. I had the camera set on cloudy and went with that setting in ACR. I thought it was ok until I saw your tweak. Posting your reprocessed photo is very helpful. Thanks for the knowledge-base everyone...

Sponsors

Advertisements