paul.hunter

Does it bother you

I recently entered this image into a shootout competition and the comment I got back from one of the judges was that the diver is looking at the camera. As far as I'm concerned the diver could be looking at any of the fish and is not looking at the camera or is it better to use the old style where the diver's head is turned and looking away from the camera?

Interested to hear from others

Thanks

Paul

post-887-1212677562_thumb.jpg

Edited by paul.hunter

nope, doesn't bother me. i would say she is looking slightly to her right.

my nitpick would be the light in her hand :)

I like the shot, especially how you obscured the sun to tone down highlights. nice control on not overexposing the fish as well

I like the light, it color coordinates with the wetsuit.

Nice shot Paul

I don't think the diver is making eye contact with the camera/photograper so I think that comment is bogus. What bothers me are the fishes right in front of the divers face.

I like the light, it color coordinates with the wetsuit.

...and the mask, and octo - by far the most important part of diving I say :)

Actually the divers eyes kind of follow you around, even if you are looking at the picture off to one side she still seems to catch your eye, I think it's kind of neat.

Another vote for not really bothered by it.

Cheers

Hal

well we can all see that she is not looking straight at the camera, perhaps the judge should check his/her own eyes. i am suprised he/she didnt say that all the fish are swimming in the wrong direction.

nice shot.

I recently entered this image into a shootout competition and the comment I got back from one of the judges was that the diver is looking at the camera. As far as I'm concerned the diver could be looking at any of the fish and is not looking at the camera or is it better to use the old style where the diver's head is turned and looking away from the camera?

Interested to hear from others

Thanks

Paul

As others have said I like the shot. The diver is looking off to the right and I like the flow of the photo there are alot of things that attract my eye and I find myself looking at it a couple of different ways, up to the diver/back and down to the front/foreground.

I didn't know there was a rule about this! A good picture is a good picture in my view .... and yours is a good picture. I like it very much. :)

Well hmm. In a portrait, the person is looking right at the camera, and that's fine. Because the viewer is drawn to the eyes - which is what you want.

In an underwater photo, a model sometimes looks at or points his/her light at the subject of the photo - a coral, fish, wreck, etc. It's a useful technique for bringing out the subject.

But I don't think there's a rule about it - lol!

Cheers

James

The shot is great. She is not looking at the camera at all. Can't imagine anyone would think she is You got rodgered.

Thanks so much for the feedback makes me feel better about the image

Sponsors

Advertisements