Drew

Wetpixel Ocean Safari begins Monday

Last day was a short but good one. We launched early into a very rough sea but I spotted some action immediately and we jumped into a redeye herring baitball where we blew the entire tank on. It was a very exciting baitball but the coup de gras was the bryde's whale which shot past between all of us and I only had time to look at it before it shot off. Then a sailfish (probably I. platypterus) joined in the hunt and the boys were ecstatic with just an hour's work. We invited the Beeb crew to join the action after we were finished and they had 2 cape fur seals on it as well. With the bouncing profiles and high seas, I decided not to be greedy and ended the Wetpixel Ocean Safari 08 on a high note.

There was some serious action this year and I'm glad I'm extending a few days afterward to hit the stuff on my own.

fair play to you lads, it sounds a lot of hard work, but it must be amazing to see. and well worth the effort.

Is anybody using a rebreather while filming the Sardine Run? A small compact CCR seems like the ideal tool, no bubles and hours of "bottom time". Especially since most of the action is shallow, so you don't need extra bailout.

Well got rid of the guys so now I can enjoy myself. Was a very productive trip for the guys so I don't think anyone was disappointed. Of course I want that Bryde's whale in a baitball shot :)

Rebreathers are probably useful but short of a military style compact rebreather, it's a bit bulky for chasing baitballs. For the dolphins it worked very well a few years ago when cameraman Didier Noirot tried it. But that was a scr draegar. There are also baitballs so big you're at 90ft to see the bottom.

Great shot Drew! Brydes Whale, sailfish, et al...hard to complain about that!

There are also baitballs so big you're at 90ft to see the bottom.

Like I said, shallow :-)

BTW, great shots and this run is certainly on my to do list.

Edited by PCDiver

Just got a call from another operator and he had to pull his divers out of the water super quick because the sharks were chasing them out of the water!

I have to say the action in water combined with conditions made this probably the best week I've ever had on this safari. 15-20m viz with subtropical and even tropical predators, it's just amazing stuff!

Well the Beeb have REALLY wrapped this time. Their camera man, Didier and his assistant, Roger "the horror" Horrocks are off to an undisclosed destination with my compressor.

So it's just the normal people left now. Well there's a russian crew with Andrei Makarevich, artist, rock star and TV personality for scuba diving who just arrived.

The viz is still rocking and so is the action. Plus now I'm on strike again so I can stay again :)

Plus now I'm on strike again so I can stay again :)

oh I didn't know the UAW was on strike again... :P

Well the Beeb have REALLY wrapped this time. Their camera man, Didier and his assistant, Roger "the horror" Horrocks are off to an undisclosed destination with my compressor.

So it's just the normal people left now. Well there's a russian crew with Andrei Makarevich, artist, rock star and TV personality for scuba diving who just arrived.

The viz is still rocking and so is the action. Plus now I'm on strike again so I can stay again :P

Thank you Drew for fantastic trip ! Did you met Makarevich again ? Maybe you can remind Igor (tour leader) to send me pictures of us with him - since you missed ultimate shot of the safari with your mobile phone !

I'm back to Tokyo and will post few pics here soon. Stay tuned.

Actually I spoke with him and found out I've seen his art exhibition in NYC last year. I never thought it would be the same guy. Small world.

Actually I spoke with him and found out I've seen his art exhibition in NYC last year. I never thought it would be the same guy. Small world.

Cool ! You went to Makarevich art exhibition in NY ? Was it his personal or with group of other people ?

In drinking frenzy of last night I forgot to ask Igor (guy who introduced us to Andrei) for his e-mail, but hi has mine, if he did not lose it - if you see him just nag him for that pictures of us with Makarevich (you can give him my e-mail again :P

Anyway, here is few first pics from Wetpixel Ocean Safari - not the best ones, just sampler:

_DSC2831-Edit.jpg

_DSC3045-Edit.jpg

_DSC3061-Edit.jpg

_DSC3112-Edit.jpg

taken with Nikon D300 + Nikkor 12-24mm in Sea&Sea housing with NX Compact Dome with two YS-250 strobes.

Alexander Safonov

http://pats0n.livejournal.com

Edited by pats0n

I'm impressed my billfish ID is spot on for once.

Alex, there's a distinct lack of yellow/red in your pics. The common dolphins as you know have a light yellow patch and the gannets are really just blondes like you :P. Even the limbatus in your picture should have a bronzish appearance.

AWESOME. I love the sailfish shot

Edited by stewsmith

Yes, that sailfish shot, and the dolphins are both awesome shots. I agree w/ Drew - maybe a warmer white balance would help?

Cheers

James

Wow looks fantastic.

Alex are you using a dioptre on your 12-24mm? That smudging in the corners is what mine produces if I don't use a dioptre?

Alex

Yes, that sailfish shot, and the dolphins are both awesome shots. I agree w/ Drew - maybe a warmer white balance would help?

Cheers

James

James, I was going to use my Hrvatski accent but Alex is russian so it'd be insulting :)

Alex are you using a dioptre on your 12-24mm? That smudging in the corners is what mine produces if I don't use a dioptre?

Alex

Hey Alex, stop talking to yourself :lol:. You also need to get more complimentary phrases...Wow it's fantastic has been used already. :P Oh and no soft corner debates on this thread please. :blink:

Speaking of soft corners, Herb, I figured out the 12-24 needed a thicker 25mm extension to help the corners. It's now pretty decent even at f4.5.

Hey Safanov

One of your 250s died after the first baitball, didn't it?

Jeff

It's still going NOW! Get a flight quick! I just notified a film crew about it and they are dispatching a team like right now.

Jeff

It's still going NOW! Get a flight quick! I just notified a film crew about it and they are dispatching a team like right now.

Next year, this time SA is on the books.

Well there may be a WP boat next year. You just have to convince Eric and me. LOL

Damn you, Drew! Temptation...

Next year is my year to stay home. I mean, aside from the 100 days or so of travel I already have booked.

You're the guy (baitballs with whales!) with the horns and I'm tempting (thousands of dolphins!) you? I do submit thou doth protest (thousands of sharks!) too much (some breaching too!) methinks. So what's another 3 (thousand humpbacks) weeks to the hundred(s of gannets diving on your head!) odd days? Stay home? I consider South Africa home 1(mega baitball) month of the year. :P

WP subliminal messaging courtesy of the RahDiAHTor man.

I'm impressed my billfish ID is spot on for once.

Alex, there's a distinct lack of yellow/red in your pics. The common dolphins as you know have a light yellow patch and the gannets are really just blondes like you :blink:. Even the limbatus in your picture should have a bronzish appearance.

Well Drew, it will take few days before my WB will be restored to normal after all these adventures and I will be ready to have fresh look at images and process them properly :P) And I'm not just blonde, I'm blonde with yellow fins ! :)

On serious note - thanks for advice, will think about your notes next time I open Lightroom.

There is my Makarevich pictures ???!! :lol:

Edited by pats0n

Cheers

James

James, thanks for advice - will definitely try warmer WB next time I run Lightroom :)

Wow looks fantastic.

Alex

Alex, I don't know what dioptre for 12-24mm is ;(( - will google it now, but I certainly don't use add-ons of any kind for lens. Your advice and feedback appreciated a lot, I'm big fan of your photos and very curious about all new shooting techniques you are using ! Thanks !

James, I was going to use my Hrvatski accent but Alex is russian so it'd be insulting :blink:

Hey Alex, stop talking to yourself :lol:. You also need to get more complimentary phrases...Wow it's fantastic has been used already. :P Oh and no soft corner debates on this thread please. :D

Speaking of soft corners, Herb, I figured out the 12-24 needed a thicker 25mm extension to help the corners. It's now pretty decent even at f4.5.

Hey Safanov

One of your 250s died after the first baitball, didn't it?

Jeff

Drew, you are right, I replaced one of YS-250 with died battery with spare YS-110. Bottom three shots are done YS-110 + YS-250.

Good luck with activity and shooting ! I definitely want to come on WP boat (if any) next year, I will bring my yellow fins again ! :lol:

You're the guy (baitballs with whales!) with the horns and I'm tempting (thousands of dolphins!) you? I do submit thou doth protest (thousands of sharks!) too much (some breaching too!) methinks. So what's another 3 (thousand humpbacks) weeks to the hundred(s of gannets diving on your head!) odd days? Stay home? I consider South Africa home 1(mega baitball) month of the year. :)

WP subliminal messaging courtesy of the RahDiAHTor man.

I'm having baitballs every night now ! Very big baitballs ! %)

Edited by pats0n

Just went out this morning and again the players were all out there. Just not a lot of action as it seems the predators are all satiated. I'm skipping tomorrow to concentrate on my volunteer project. Hopefully the guys heading out will find some great activity.

_D2N8591.jpg

The great torpedo whale... Bryde's (B.Edeni)

Sponsors

Advertisements