Drew

Wetpixel Ocean Safari begins Monday

And have my pics look like yours with a pale ghostly look? Not what I'm after. I like my subjects to look somewhat like they do in sunlight, not a yellow/red-less version. I've never liked over processed looks. Plus I'm too damned lazy to work so hard on lousy web pix anyhow. Thanks for your suggestion.

Well question of taste , I believe :D Anyway, try it, vibrance works ok for some shots and not ok for others, as pretty much any other technique... sometimes it does miracles ! :P and it preserves hue of water, unlike temperature shift..

Wetpixel Ocean Safari is on "Daily Dozen" photo page of National Geographics Magazine today - http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/. Frontpage history will die tomorrow I suppose, but it is possible to look it up in archive http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/your-shot/your-shot

_DSC3109-Edit-2.jpg

Edited by pats0n

What an unbelievable collection of photographs you guys have shown (and maybe more to come). If either Drew or Alex are interested in making prints available, I would be interested.

What an unbelievable collection of photographs you guys have shown (and maybe more to come). If either Drew or Alex are interested in making prints available, I would be interested.

Ditto,

I'd be interested also.

Cheers,

Mike

I think Colin and Andrej have yet to show their shots... so there are better ones yet to come. :D

I think Colin and Andrej have yet to show their shots... so there are better ones yet to come. :P

Andrej got fantastic stuff with his fisheye, can't wait to see it ! Colin must have a lot of material too. We had few good days :D

Edited by pats0n

WOW great shots there guys. :D

For those who want to join the Wetpixel Ocean Safari 09 trip, PLEASE do not contact me via email or PM. Eric Cheng isin charge of putting together the trip and if there is an announcement, you will shortly see it on the board.

Hi everyone.

I just got back from Mozambique on Sunday (without cameras, lenses or housing - missing en route but thats a different story) so I havent posted previously.

Here's a few samples:

post-2039-1216200634_thumb.jpg

post-2039-1216200683_thumb.jpg

post-2039-1216200711_thumb.jpg

post-2039-1216200752_thumb.jpg

Colin

And a few more:

post-2039-1216200881_thumb.jpg

post-2039-1216200907_thumb.jpg

post-2039-1216200929_thumb.jpg

post-2039-1216200955_thumb.jpg

Colin

Hi everyone.

I just got back from Mozambique on Sunday (without cameras, lenses or housing - missing en route but thats a different story) so I havent posted previously.

Here's a few samples:

Hi Colin ! Welcome back - good to see you :D

Wow ! All shots are superb, but one with two dolphins scoring small fish - you know, makes me really jealous :D:P Super-shot, congratulations ! I also like last one very much - very dynamic !

(without cameras, lenses or housing - missing en route but thats a different story)

Wow Colin, I hope it's all insured. Now you can upgrade to the D3 or D700 without feeling too bad. In fact you could even go Canon :D Drop me an email with the story.

I also took the liberty of removing your double post. :P

Hey Folks,

Drew asked me to post this while he is lost in Africa. The video footage is pretty awesome and well worth the watch!

"I was with the Earth Touch crew on their boat when we found this action: watch the commentary version for the sound track. You may hear the 8fps of my camera in the background (sorry Grant :D)"

http://www.earth-touch.com/result.php?i=Sa...rs-fattening-up

Our group at work just watched that video. All we can say is WOW. What an experience

Great video! I have surfed around that website and there is incredible footage.

Damn. That is awesome. We never saw anything remotely like this two years ago. I guess you really have to keep going back to be there for the action when it happens...

Eric, the ocean safari beckons! :D

For more pics (if Andre ever gets off his butt and post some), Matti Ovaska, who was an alternate on the WP Ocean Safari but was referred to another operator also got to see some awesome action. His link to the pics are :

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25874

Only thing is I don't know why they still call it the sardine run... most of the baitballs with the great visibility were redeye herring. :)

Wow, Bryde's shots are awesome. Makes me want to go back ! Great job, Matti !

While we are waiting for Andrej I released few more pics in my blog :B): -

_DSC2431.jpg

_DSC3083-Edit.jpg

_DSC3089-Edit-2.jpg

DSC_2288_2.jpg

DSC_2353_1.jpg

I will put more eventually in the course of next few weeks, stay tuned :) !

Edited by pats0n

Hi There,

I wish i knew that the whale was going to come through the bait ball as there I was happily snapping away next moment there 10-15m of whale in front of me as I could have got a shot looking at the whale head on with its mouth wide open. One of the other guys on the trip got a great little video clip on his Canon Ixus which shows me taking photos with the whale lunging through the baitball (which I look at now again just to remind me how lucky I was. I was having some problems on the trip with the camera which would at times while in shutter priority force camera to f22 (no idea why, and it wouldn't always do it either). But I would have loved to see a Sailfish go through the ball so I might have to go back next year. There was one girl who joined the boat I was on for two days which were the days with the Brydes whale and another day with bait ball action and she did ask if it was always like this ;)

Matti

http://www.mattiovaska.com

Edited by Matti

Matti, I missed the Bryde's going through 4 time which must be some kind of record! Sure 3 of those times it came from behind but seriously!

The billfish have been a feature in the last 2-3 years. Last year we had black marlin. I do believe the warmer conditions are bringing in the tropical predators. Since most of the baitfish were herrings when this all occurred (vs the sards which were much more prevalent before the big storm June 16th), it correlates with the warmer water temps. In the years we had great sardine action, the water temps were usually in the high teens, all the way to the surface, which suited the sardines. The herring don't mind the warmer conditions as much.

Btw, again I have to say, this year was a windfall year. Many a people would've killed for 1/5 of the action the last 2 years before this season.

It seems the torture of this thread will never end! Just amazing!

6 WP members read this thread 11k times, jeff. That's a record! ;)

You can always block this thread out.

6 WP members read this thread 11k times, jeff. That's a record! ;)

You can always block this thread out.

Yeah, I could, but it's like being on crack. :)

No no... that's such a street drug... the effects are much more subtle.... heroin or opium like... it's effects are slow but once you're hooked, you're not leaving. I should know. I haven't spent june/july anywhere else for a long time. ;)

I will have to see if I can scam time away from work again next year, as I was in my new job for 5 months and I then disappear for 6 weeks and my boss kept on asking "When did I approve this leave?". My answer was don't worry about it as you had better get use to me disappearing on trips.

Sponsors

Advertisements