Sign in to follow this  
lumpy

packing a pelican case

Before I start tearing away at the spongy stuff in my brand new pelican box I want to see if there are any big do's or don'ts people have from their own housing boxes.

I have(thanks Mike!)

Aquatica D80 housing

8" dome

60mm flat port

2 x DS125 strobes

32"s of arms with connectors

Various chargers, cables etc

Pelican 1610 case to fit it all in - so should be plenty of space

Looking for anyones advice on things like - split the housing body in 2 or not; put the dome horizontally or vertically, keep charger separate or not, and so on.

Look forward to hearing any thoughts.

Thanks,

Matt.

Throw away the foam and get some bubble wrap.

Sell the Pelican case. Buy a PorterCase.

Pack the minimum you need to take pictures into your carry-on, check all the extras.

I agree with carrying all you underwater photo gear with you on the plane.

Pelican cases are like a neon sign and are routinely broken into in places like San Juan and Miami

You should review "packing and transporting my rig" thread

Throw away the foam and get some bubble wrap.

Sell the Pelican case. Buy a PorterCase.

Pack the minimum you need to take pictures into your carry-on, check all the extras.

Why buy a Porter Case over a Pelican?

I never even heard of a Porter Case before?

Thanks,

Shane

If you got the foam, layout the big stuff on the bottom layer. Mark it up and then pluck it. You can buy some simple contact cement at your local hardware store that will help glue together any accidents. However, in light of all the baggage restrictions these days, I'm considering getting rid of my foam and using clothes to pack the items in.

.......in light of all the baggage restrictions these days, I'm considering getting rid of my foam and using clothes to pack the items in.

Ahhhhh. Takes me back to the good old pre TSA days of using an ice chest to transport my equipment.

The problem is, if TSA chooses to go through your luggage you know that they are just going to throw the equipment back into the case and not bother to wrap up ports, strobes or anything else.

Bob

Just to note,

I have been through San Juan with my DSLR and Sea and Sea Housing ... San Juan and Miami 2 each, the only theft .. the TSA stealing my extremely dangerous alan keys !

They even left me a note.

but I think the guys are right, with baggage restrictions how they are now, I would pack it with clothes in another type of bag.

Just to note,

I have been through San Juan with my DSLR and Sea and Sea Housing ... San Juan and Miami 2 each, the only theft .. the TSA stealing my extremely dangerous alan keys !

They even left me a note.

but I think the guys are right, with baggage restrictions how they are now, I would pack it with clothes in another type of bag.

Porter also fits into the overhead compartment.. I fill it up with as much as it will hold. I do not use too much foam.. I am in control of it on the flights. The only time it was out of my sight was on a very small fight out to the liveaboard.. and then it I was the one who put it in the luggage compartment.. I use two Samsonite hard sides, one for my dive gear and one for what ever is left over from the Porter. I lock both Samsonite and wait for the X-Ray machine to scan them.

Carry my laptop in a small backpack to watch movies.

Joe

ok, so we have established that there are downsides to pelican cases and that things sometimes get stolen.

Let's say I want to use the pelican case - any advice on packing in the foam other than don't?

Another down side to a pelican is weight. You will not be able to fill your up without being overweight.

Hi,

I use 'divider' instead of 'foam' & easy to change. Pelican also, now has

a backpack kit if you like to hand-carry the box.

Sam

post-815-1213244064_thumb.jpg

ok, so we have established that there are downsides to pelican cases and that things sometimes get stolen.

Let's say I want to use the pelican case - any advice on packing in the foam other than don't?

As Gary mentioned, you can just lay everything out and mark some reference points to start plucking the foam out. My suggestion would be to keep the two housing sections attached to keep anything from working its way into the o-ring. Pack the dome flat if you have the space. Smaller items like arms, cords, chargers could all be stored together in one cutout.

The Pelican will work well if you are just wanting to store everything together or use it to transport locally. If you want to add some kit in the future you may have a space problem. If you plan on flying with it, I think that has been pretty much covered.

http://www.thehumansolution.com/equtca.htm...CFSQbagodAWDgWA

much lighter than the Pelican box

doesn't scream "expensive photo gear"

converts into a dolly that will carry 200 lbs (open it up, stack all your luggage on top and wheel it out of the airport)

holds more

Jim:

I like the Porter Cases too but for the same size (22 x 14 x 8) Porter case and the 22 x 13.8 x 9 Pelican case there is only about 9 ounces out of 13 pounds difference, not to me much lighter but indeed a little lighter but with a little less space so 5% or so lighter with 10% less volume. Actually a bit heavier on the per cubic inch measurement. It does though have the nice built in dolly.

BVA

Jim:

I like the Porter Cases too but for the same size (22 x 14 x 8) Porter case and the 22 x 13.8 x 9 Pelican case there is only about 9 ounces out of 13 pounds difference, not to me much lighter but indeed a little lighter but with a little less space so 5% or so lighter with 10% less volume. Actually a bit heavier on the per cubic inch measurement. It does though have the nice built in dolly.

BVA

You are right! The PorterCase and the Pelican 1510 do weigh about the same! Big surprise to me.

As far as volume goes:

Inside dimensions: (Volume)

PorterCase = 21.5 x 13.25 x 7 (1994 cu in)

Pelican 1510 = 19.75 x 11.00 x 7.6 (1651 cu in)

The Portercase holds 20% more than the same external size Pelican.

Edited by jlyle

Anyone want to buy my Pelican cases? I haven't been able to use them in years.

Now I carry the minimum camera kit in a rucksack as carry-on and my dive equipment gets checked in. Clothes? With the 20kg limit from Europe I have no room for more than a pair of shorts and two or three T-shirts (which I give away before I come home).

Edited by John Bantin

Ergh - I've heard the rumours - who'd want those old t shirts n grubby shorts?

Not all of them are. I use a Lowepro Vertex 300 AW, which is just deep enough for my Ike housing (it has to 'round' a bit).

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Vertex...-AW,2074,16.htm

The interior pocket is supposedly 6.5" deep and the housing is a tad more than that with projections...the housing goes in with the port not installed and with the handle/tray assembly removed as well. My 8" port (port, cover, shade, extension, and neoprene protective cover) gets wrapped in a wetsuit in the checked scuba bag, and the tray/handle ditto in the bottom of the bag. I did find I removed much of the padded interior divisions - not all, but about half the options provided, since the manufacturer is assuming you're using smaller individual compartments for lots more lenses than I was.

Here's a full list of what I got in the Vertex (borrowed from a similar post where I was answering a similar question on Scubaboard...but it's my own post so © ME! :D )

Here's what fit:

Ike housing for Oly E330 with port cover, o-rings in baggie inside.

2 - 8" long, 2" diameter bouyancy strobe arms (ULCS)

2 - 12" long, 1" diameter bouyancy arms (ULCS)

6 strobe arm clamps (2-way) (ULCS)

1 strobe arm clamp (3-way) (ULCS)

2 strobe arm ball adaptors (to ike handles)

Fantasea Nano focus light with saddle clamp and ball head adaptor

2 - Ikelite DS50 strobes, with diffusers and ball strobe head adaptors

About 40 AA batteries (8 in the strobes, rest spares)

4 AAA batteries (in the Fantasea Nano)

1 4-seat AA/AAA strobe recharger w/ cord

Olympus BLM battery charger w/ cord

2 - Olympus E330 camera bodies

Olympus Zuiko 14-54 lens

Olympus Zuiko 35mm macro lens

Olympus Zuiko 50-140 lens

Ikelite 5503 (short 6" dome for macro) lens port, with neoprene cover and shade

Ikelite zoom sleeve and collar assembly (low profile for 14-54 lens)

Ike dual sync cord

Ike single sync cord

Handmade carry handle for rig (about 24" of rope with two brass shackles)

USB Card reader with short USB pigtail

Misc. memory cards (CF)

2 spare Olympus BLM batteries

Misc. UV filters and an ND filter for the different lens diameters (for abovewater use)

Plastic strap wrench (to help get dome port/extension separated for 8" dome, not included)

Misc lens cloths, spare o-rings, and Ikelite lube packs

...bag was still under 32 lbs (40 is the US carryon limit...or was, will have to check if that's changed).

Here's what didn't fit, and rode with the checked scuba gear:

Ikelite 8" dome port assembly with shade, neoprene cover, and extension (wrapped in my wetsuit for extra padding)

Ikelite 2-handle base for housing (all the way in bottom of bag by wheels)

A small 'holster' bag for the camera for walking around above-water.

Here's what didn't fit and had to go elsewhere (another carryon my wife lugged):

Laptop, laptop charger/cord, and ethernet cable.

12" leg "Gorillapod" (for abovewater)

----------

A *thin* laptop might've fit as well with everything I had packed. My thick one would just slip into the sleeve but the bag was clearly bulging up to about 10" thickness (excluding straps) and I didn't like how the laptop was being flexed...recipe for damage while wearing it I thought. If (when!!) I upgrade my strobes to DS125s I'll probably still fit everything but have to move at least a couple of the arm sections into the checked bag as well...just as well since the tray/handle is in there anyway, so if my checked bag doesn't make it I'll be shooting a la naturale until it does. In some ways I kinda look forward to that - would probably leave the arms at least partially assembled in the bottom of the scuba bag and save me some reassembly time the first night there.

My housing and the small port are at Ike's right now for housing service, but I'll try to get a picture of the packed setup sometime after I get it back (be at least 2 more weeks - Ike got swamped apparently. No complaint intended....they offered to rush it if I was on the verge of a trip but I'm not diving until August so I said to save the time for someone who really needed it).

Also, search the Gear Lust - Unrequited forum for a post from Eric with pictures of his rig all packed into a ThinkTank photo backpack and carryon....I'll try and modify this post with a link if I find it again for ya.

(Later:) OK, here it is:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22986

P.S to the OP, Lumpy - sorry this has all turned into a hijack. If I were packing a Pelican, my advice would be the same as that of others - use bubblewrap and minimize the internal foam to get more in. That and maybe scuff up or otherwise 'stealth' the bag on the outside - paint something like "McGrumpy's Sewage Plumbing Service" on the outside of the case to make it less obvious it's photography gear. :)

Edited by rtrski

Porter also fits into the overhead compartment..

Joe

Joe

Which Porter case do you have that fits into the overhead compartment?

Thanks,

Shane

In some overheads, you need to turn the case upside down, with the wheels out - then it fits.

In some overheads, you need to turn the case upside down, with the wheels out - then it fits.

Wheels up...that how i always fly.. :P

Joe

I'd second the comment on using Pelican dividers rather than foam. Its far more versatile and hard-wearing. I've also found a lid liner really useful. It takes all the little do-dats and provides extra storage space.

I'm using the Pelican 1510 to carry my housing, an FP, 3 extension rings, Ultralight arms, two Inons, cables, batteries and a Fixeye. It all squeezes in - just. But I shudder to think what it all weighs as I happily hoik it into the overhead locker - half expecting the plane roof to give way.

I use the 1550 which is 1/2" larger than the carryon size in one dimension but haven't ever had any problems. I opted for the dividers and have been quite happy with the choice. I have had smaller pelicans for other purposes in the past with the foam, but as my needs change, I can't reconfigure the foam.

I fit in it:

Ike housing

2xDS-125

spare DS battery and charger

60mm port

6" dome port

4x8" ULCS arms

Fisheye focus light

3xsynch cords

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements