Dunadin

Canon EFS 60 macro vs. 100 EF 100 macro

Quick poll on macro lenses. What is your experience / opinion in using a Canon EF-S 60 f2.8 Macro USM vs. a Canon EF 100 f/2.8 USM Macro underwater? I am interested in opinions to see which addition to the arsenal is worthwhile.

Thanks in advance!

For a cropped sensor camera, my vote is the canon 60. Since I purchased mine the 100 is gathering some dust. With a film SLR the 100 was my first choice for macro. Because the 100 it acts like a 160 on my 20D or 40D, I find myself having to get too far away from too many subjects. Also, the 60 is much faster and more sure on autofocus. So, the 60 is much more versatile.

Still there is a place for the 100 in your collection, great for really small stuff and shy subjects like shrimp gobies.

For a cropped sensor camera, my vote is the canon 60.

I'll go along with that too!

Hi Sergio,

Why don't you get the 60mm macro and a 1.4 teleconverter

and then you have everything covered with a versatile combination...???

Bruce...

Edited by bruceterrill

I've had both on cropped sensor, 60mm is my clear preference.

If you just want to shoot small critters (skeleton shrimp, small crabs, etc) then the 100mm is more useful.

But the 50/60mm lens is a FAR more versatile tool. As Fishdoc says, mine has stayed on my lens ever since I got it a couple of months ago.

I have the 50mm Sigma and while it works, its AF is a turd, nothing else. I'd get a 60mm but I dont want an EF-S lens (as soon as the 5D replacement is released, my backup body also goes FF... no more APS-C).

Vandit

Hi Sergio,

Why don't you get the 60mm macro and a 1.4 teleconverter

and then you have everything covered with a versatile combination...???

Bruce...

Can you do this with a Canon EF-S lens? I think that I tried it but it would not work on a 20D. Not sure about a 5D, that may be different.

TomC

60 is more versatile, and autofocus kicks butt over the 100. But I think the 100 is a little sharper lens when you nail the shot; and is much better when going for the really little stuff like pygmy seahorses. The 60 mm at 1:1 mag has the port nearly touching the subject, so can be tricky to light, and also might scare the little critter.

Can you do this with a Canon EF-S lens? I think that I tried it but it would not work on a 20D. Not sure about a 5D, that may be different.

TomC

I think it works fine on the cropped sensor cameras but not on the 5D. We tried it at Canoga Camera and it wouldn't work but it does work with an extension tube on the 5D.

For me a lot depends on the strobes you use. For the Inon ringflash the 100 working distance means a lot, the shorter working distance of the 60 means too much light. Alternately for the Athena ringflash, the opposite is true

Bill

I have and use both lenses, but I use the 100 a lot more, primarily because of the working distance it provides for skittish little creatures. Also, the extra working distance usually gives me more options in positioning myself for a shot. I love the size/weight of the 60, but for the kind of macro I shoot most often, the 100 is a better bet.

Sponsors

Advertisements