Sign in to follow this  
markdhanlon

White Sharks off California

My wife and I will be taking a road trip down the west coast of the US from about the middle of July until the middle of August starting from Seattle going down as far south as Carmel. Normally diving in the Pacific NW, there are no concerns of white sharks, so I'm a little concerned when I hear about the potential of coming across one of these large sharks outside of a cage.

For those diving in this area (mainly California), what are the chances that I will a) see a white shark? or B) not see the shark but have a different kind of encounter. Any information that I have found through Google seems pretty sensationalized, so I'm looking for actual responses from actual divers, not reports from CNN.

Thanks for the help.

My wife and I will be taking a road trip down the west coast of the US from about the middle of July until the middle of August starting from Seattle going down as far south as Carmel. Normally diving in the Pacific NW, there are no concerns of white sharks, so I'm a little concerned when I hear about the potential of coming across one of these large sharks outside of a cage.

For those diving in this area (mainly California), what are the chances that I will a) see a white shark? or B) not see the shark but have a different kind of encounter. Any information that I have found through Google seems pretty sensationalized, so I'm looking for actual responses from actual divers, not reports from CNN.

Thanks for the help.

Very unlikely you will see a GW unless you go looking for them (chum, seal rookery, etc...).

have fun:)

spencer

Buy a lottery ticket - the odds are better.

Not unless you're on the surface with your arms and legs dangling off your short board looking like a seal...

In my circle of friends, there are tens of thousands of dives and only 2 first hand white shark sightings.

In 20 years of diving in CA I have seen 1 great white (it was about 25 ft away and swam off after about 3 seconds).

I know three people who have seen one in the wild. One is the owner of Truth Aquatics, the second the head of the Marine Mammal center and the last was one of the Captains for Truth Aquatics.

I've may have made 1000 dives off of CA. I've never seen one.

According to http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/fatal_attacks.htm there have been 11 authenticated white shark fatalities along the coast of California in the last 58 years. In that time millions of people have surfed, dived, and swam in the coastal waters. If you count each swim or dive, then there are hundreds of millions individual "events". Therefore the probability of being killed by a GWS is somewhere around 1E-8 per dive. You are FAR more likely to slip and die in your shower. So, if you want to stay out the water, you might start with your bathroom. :-)

Thanks for all the replies. That's what I figured, but you often see this stuff sensationalized by the media and I wanted a clear picture. It's inline with a different statistic that I had heard that you are more likely to die from being hit by a coconut than shark attack. Thanks for the help.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements