mschiff

Ultra wide angle for Canon Rebel XT in Ikelite housing

I am considering both the Tokina 10-17 fisheye and the Tokina 11-16 2.8 for use both above and underwater with a 40D above water and a Rebel XT in Ikelite housing underwater. I also have a 17-85 EF-S and the proper port.

I think it is clear that the 11-16 2.8 would be a better choice topside, but what about underwater?

TIA.

I'm also considering all the other usual prospects (Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-22, etc.) if there are strong recommendations there.

-- Martin

I have heard very good things about the Tokina 11-16 f2.8, but have not used it myself. Instead I am using the Tokina 12-24 f4 for quite some time on both sides of the waterline and am very happy with it.

Here is a great site for technical optical analysis of the lenses: http://www.photozone.de/all-tests

I just recently purchased the 10-17 and am extremely happy with it. I quite like the FE photos above water as well. In the end though, I will probably purchase a 10-22 at some point because it is not nearly as wide as the FE and will cover the gap between my 10-17 FE and 17-85.

I have an 11-16 on order together with an Ikelite dome for my XTi. Will let you know how it all works out in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Balrog

I have an 11-16 on order together with an Ikelite dome for my XTi. Will let you know how it all works out in a couple of weeks.

I already have a dome from my film days. Ikelite tells me it's the same, so I'm hoping to be able to use that.

I'll look forward to your report.

Right now, I'm kind of torn between the Canon 10-22 and the Tokina 11-16. The only thing about the 11-16 that troubles me is the minimum focus distance. The Canon (and the Sigma) 10-2x focuses to about 9 inches, and the Tokina to 1/3 meter. You wouldn't think it would be that much difference, but I saw some photos here that convinced me otherwise:

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/uwamfd

-- Martin

Edited by mschiff

.... The only thing about the 11-16 that troubles me is the minimum focus distance....

Yes, I share your concerns but thought I'd have a punt anyway. A mild diopter is included in my plan B, although of course that will prevent it focussing at infinity and may destroy all the good points of this lens.

Has anyone had a Tokina 11-16 in the water yet? I'm also looking for a WA for above water, that I can house in the future. Other options are the 12-24 and Sigma 10-20. Any opinions?

Cheers,

Ryan.

Has anyone had a Tokina 11-16 in the water yet? I'm also looking for a WA for above water, that I can house in the future. Other options are the 12-24 and Sigma 10-20. Any opinions?

Cheers,

Ryan.

I ended up buying the Tokina 10-17 and it worked with my existing 6" dome port (5503). However, I did have some reflections at the edges. Anyone have ideas on how to correct that?

-- Martin

Great choice Martin. Can you post an example of the reflections your getting?

Steve

Great choice Martin. Can you post an example of the reflections your getting?

Steve

I edited them out of everything that I posted online. I'll redo one tonight from the RAW file and post it here.

-- Martin

Steve,

Here is a picture that shows the reflections in the upper corners. It is most pronounced in the upper right corner. It was taken at 10mm.

IMG_5361Reflection.jpg

-- Martin

Edited by mschiff

I am considering both the Tokina 10-17 fisheye and the Tokina 11-16 2.8 for use both above and underwater with a 40D above water and a Rebel XT in Ikelite housing underwater. I also have a 17-85 EF-S and the proper port.

I think it is clear that the 11-16 2.8 would be a better choice topside, but what about underwater?

TIA.

I'm also considering all the other usual prospects (Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-22, etc.) if there are strong recommendations there.

-- Martin

I am new to contributing to this forum, so hope this is OK. I am considering putting my new Canon 450 (Rebel) in a housing with the Sigma 10-20 lens. Had wanted to get the Patima housing but it seems they cannot accommodate the Sigma lens, so am now seriously considering the Ikelite.

One main concern is that the new Canon has the live view facility allowing one to view using the LCD screen. The manual states that flash will only work with Live view if one uses a genuine Canon Flash. Am wondering if anyone has any experience yet with these issues.

Geoff T

Steve,

Here is a picture that shows the reflections in the upper corners. It is most pronounced in the upper right corner. It was taken at 10mm.

IMG_5361Reflection.jpg

-- Martin

Sorry Martin, you've stumped me. That doesn't look like the reflection issues I've seen. I can get reflections from the sun if I've got a lot of ambient light at the wrong angle. This looks like it could be an alignment issue to me. Do you see it in every shot @ 10mm? Anybody else ever seen this pattern before?

Steve

I am new to contributing to this forum, so hope this is OK. I am considering putting my new Canon 450 (Rebel) in a housing with the Sigma 10-20 lens. Had wanted to get the Patima housing but it seems they cannot accommodate the Sigma lens, so am now seriously considering the Ikelite.

One main concern is that the new Canon has the live view facility allowing one to view using the LCD screen. The manual states that flash will only work with Live view if one uses a genuine Canon Flash. Am wondering if anyone has any experience yet with these issues.

Geoff T

I have the 450 with ikelite housing and 160 ds strobe. The strobe does flash on liveview !

kind regards

That reflection is and artefact from the six inch dome port (5503).

It is the reflection from the joint line at the dome outer edge. When the light catches it right this is the effect that you get.

If you look at the picture and at the joint line in the dome you will see the similarity.

The fix is (sadly) the 8" dome - been there myself, with wide lenses the 6" dome does not really cut it.

Paul C

TIA.

-- Martin

Martin,

I a have rebel XT in Ikelite and am considering an upgrade from the kit lens it came with. I am increasingly confused by the many choices that are available. What did you finally decide on? I think I could convince my wife that this new lens would make a great birthday present :)

Gene

Sponsors

Advertisements