nekton

How deep have you successfully taken your strobe?

I purchased the Aquatica D300 housing specifically because it can be modified to go to 450'. I bought the Inon strobes because they have the deepest rating (100m) that I could find. Still, 100m is a lot shallower than my deepest trimix dives.

Are there any technical divers out there that have taken their strobes to 450' and beyond? If so, which model? One photographer claimed that Sea & Sea strobes should have no problem going that deep (although he never had come close with his), and certainly Sea & Sea doesn't say that their strobes can go that deep.

Thanks in advance

- Kent

Malpelo Trip 23 July- 03 August 2008 Still Room for one diver!

Current manifest has 4 closed circuit divers, plus one open circuit diver still looking for a buddy cuz the open circuit divers have to buy the beer B)

I purchased the Aquatica D300 housing specifically because it can be modified to go to 450'. I bought the Inon strobes because they have the deepest rating (100m) that I could find. Still, 100m is a lot shallower than my deepest trimix dives.

Are there any technical divers out there that have taken their strobes to 450' and beyond? If so, which model? One photographer claimed that Sea & Sea strobes should have no problem going that deep (although he never had come close with his), and certainly Sea & Sea doesn't say that their strobes can go that deep.

Thanks in advance

- Kent

Malpelo Trip 23 July- 03 August 2008 Still Room for one diver!

Current manifest has 4 closed circuit divers, plus one open circuit diver still looking for a buddy cuz the open circuit divers have to buy the beer B)

Hi Kent,

I too am a trimix diver and have completed dives in the 100m range, but that was before I got into photography. For about a year now, I have been diving an Optima rebreather, and even though I have only taken it down 210' at this point, I anticipate much deeper future dives, with my camera in hand.

Consequently, I just upgraded my system and bought the Patima housing for the G9, primarily because it is rated for 120m depth, and I also use Inon Z-240 Strobes.

I too would be curious to know if anyone has taken the Inon strobes that deep, because it would be very reassuing.

I do know the Inon strobes are sealed pretty good, because last year, I accidently failed to put the cap on the battery compartment and took it down to 110' in salt water. I realized while I was on the bottom, but I figured it was too late to salvage the strobe head. However, even without the external cap, the strobe fired the entire time and never missed a beat. When I made it back to the boat, I discarded the recharchable batteries and rinsed the battery compartment with fresh water, and that's it. To this day, the stobe has worked fine - They're tough!

Adrian

Edited by SFLDiver

Hartenbergers ( www.hartenberger.com ) says:

"We guarantee that all Hartenberger strobes are pressure proof to a depth well in excess of 100m (325ft)"

Thanks in advance

- Kent

If it's any help, I used to take my old Sea & Sea strobes in the 90m (300 ft) range on a regular basis. That was YS50 and YS120. It was the worry of the Nikonos V camera that kept me from taking them deeper.

I once accidently left one in a pressure-pot overnight at 14 bar's. It held up fine, but of course the controls where not touched when it was sitting in there.

I would not hesitate to do the same thing to their newer models.

Sponsors

Advertisements