Lionfish43

D700 - seems pretty solid

Some additional pictures

D700 pictures

Looks real alright, but the pentaprism definitely looks larger, so that D300 housing option is not looking good.

Looks real alright, but the pentaprism definitely looks larger, so that D300 housing option is not looking good.

It's real; there was an official announcement from Nikon France. Specs are here:

http://www.focus-numerique.com/images/spec...e-technique.pdf

And the body is definitely larger than the D300, so I know it won't fit in my housing!

Linda

Yes! Nikon finally has a 5D running-mate :-)

Looks solid to me too.

Cheers

James

The specs suggest it is a few mm taller than the D300.

I'm relieved. My D300 fits in the Suba housing like isotoner gloves. I won't have to buy this camera and it would cost too much to buy another housing. Also I look for a big drop in the D300 price. Means a second body ought to be affordable. Maybe even a used one from some fool that just has to trade up.

There's a hands on preview now up omn DPReview. It has a pretty good D300/D700/D3 side by side comparison HERE. The D700 is noticeably taller. The good part is that the viewfinder looks to be about the same size as the D3.

The specs suggest it is a few mm taller than the D300.

I'm relieved. My D300 fits in the Suba housing like isotoner gloves. I won't have to buy this camera and it would cost too much to buy another housing. Also I look for a big drop in the D300 price. Means a second body ought to be affordable. Maybe even a used one from some fool that just has to trade up.

Yup... that does me in as well. If I thought the camera would fit, it would have given me something to toil over. But it looks like the decision has been made for me. Retooling for 2 stops of extra speed isn't something I'm interested in. Now I can go spend all that money I just saved on some new strobes!

I guess it depends on the housing. Surely there must be room for this viewfinder in some housings, especially with a thinner hotshoe adaptor.

Moreover, would it not be possible to make a D700 housing that would take the D300, too?

Alex

I guess it depends on the housing. Surely there must be room for this viewfinder in some housings, especially with a thinner hotshoe adaptor.

Moreover, would it not be possible to make a D700 housing that would take the D300, too?

Alex

Good point Alex. I would think it's possible since the rest of the body seems essentially the same. That would still mean purchasing a new housing...kind of tough to swallow for someone who just invested in a D300 housing.

I read somewhere on a stock photo forum I am involved in that you can change a menu setting that lets you use FX or DX lenses. If this is true, that would be awesome. I'd hate to have to carry two lens styles...unless I am rich like Gates.

Joe

I read somewhere on a stock photo forum I am involved in that you can change a menu setting that lets you use FX or DX lenses. If this is true, that would be awesome. I'd hate to have to carry two lens styles...unless I am rich like Gates.

Joe

Yes it is possible to use DX lenses. But then you have only 5.1 MP :)

My Ikelite D300 housing won't have room - not that I wanted a D700 myself (I could buy a bunch of lenses for the same cost :) ).

I now wish Nikon would introduce the D700x at 24MP as opposed to the D3x. Both cameras would be fine. :-)

So the race is on for housings. But which will we see first? D700 housing available to buy or D3X available to fit in the D3 housing? Not that they are really competing products!

Alex

I now wish Nikon would introduce the D700x at 24MP as opposed to the D3x. Both cameras would be fine. :-)

That's not how it works. First the D3X so that all who really want 24mp will pony up the big bucks. Once sales of the new D3x level off, then the 24mp D300 will arrive.

That's how some of us D100 owners ended up with a D2X, when all we really wanted was a D200.

I think there's place enough in the sea & sea housing... but based on DPReview side by side comparison, not really sure about the housing viewfinder placement!

with a mobile viewfinder? :)

Right - the main thing is the measurement between the lens center-line and the viewfinder centerline. If that measurement is different, then it's difficult to adapt the housing.

CheerS

James

Well I ordered one! Expected arrival July 25th. For me it's a cheaper, smaller D3 which I've been lusting after for topside, available light etc. Not sure yet it will be my underwater choice.

Well well well.

Now isn't this my lucky day. I just happened to have some cash which I wanted to invest in a D300 + housing. Looks like I'm getting a D700, an additional lens and just wait for Ikelite's D700 housing. :)

Right - the main thing is the measurement between the lens center-line and the viewfinder centerline. If that measurement is different, then it's difficult to adapt the housing.

CheerS

James

That is the greatest problem for al the housings D300! The center is for sure at a higher place than the D300. :)

Well I ordered one! Expected arrival July 25th. For me it's a cheaper, smaller D3 which I've been lusting after for topside, available light etc. Not sure yet it will be my underwater choice.

Cool Jeff, you have to bring it on our trip to Mexico.

Regarding housings. In addition to the viewfinder, the focus area select seems to be in a different position

http://www.robgalbraith.com/data//1/rec_im...700_preview.jpg

Alex

OK, I like the crop sensor. In any of the reviews or pre-release propaganda is there any word about a new crop sensor Nikon? I'm not about to jump on this horse unless Nikon is definitely phasing out crop sensors?

Anybody?

Best,

Tim of the Deep

Thom Hogan, a decent source for speculation, has said in the past that DX format could be expected to reach 16MP as a workable limit. But Canon has marketed "FF good, DX bad" for so long that now Nikon have FX chips, we might not see any more 12MP+ pro-bodied DX cameras from Nikon.

Alex

Thom Hogan, a decent source for speculation, has said in the past that DX format could be expected to reach 16MP as a workable limit. But Canon has marketed "FF good, DX bad" for so long that now Nikon have FX chips, we might not see any more 12MP+ pro-bodied DX cameras from Nikon.

Alex

Thanks Alex,

Ol' Thom does keep his pulse on the Nikon scene. I sure like having a 150-560 (or whatever it is) instead of 80-400. Sure adds heft to my zooms with the crop.

Guess we'll just see if there a D400 or if the D700 is th shape of things to come.

Best,

T

Sponsors

Advertisements