SkroOob

Now that D700 is coming... I have 3 choices

Hello everyone..

I've been shooting compact cameras UW since 2004. Since then, I've been developing my dSLR gear and learning to use them properly on land and trying to save enough cash to house it.

Well people, the day has come. So far, I have a 17-35 & AF-S 105 vr and a D200. And I have a few choices:

- Get an Ikelite housing for my D200 and get an AF-S 60 & 16 FE.

- Sell my D200 and get a D300 + Ikelite housing and a couple of ports and the rest comes later. (The idea is to make my setup live longer than the D200 setup).

- Get a D700 and wait for Ikelite to design a housing. (I already have 17-35 & 105 micro, shouldn't they be enough? )

My main concern now is the FF sharpness issues UW with rectilinear ultra wide (weitwinkel) lenses. I've seen a thread around here complaining from D3's performance with 17-35 behind a S&S dome. Am I going to face the same problem with Ikelite?

I'd like to know what 5D users have to say about 17-40 f/4 & Ikelite combos.

Also, I'd like to know if 105 on a full frame is going to be suitable for fish photography as well as macro or do I need to get the 60mm anyways?

Edited by SkroOob

I like the D200 and D300 ideas better. With the D700 you will be counting on Ikelite properly supporting the 14-24 lens. That lens is unusually large and may present unique difficulties that Ikelite may not address. Success using the 10-17 fisheye is more assured IMO. If you believe longevity is important then the D300 would be the way to go.

Yeah I dont believe that Ikelite will make a port for the 14-24 anytime soon. In fact, I don't think it will be made at all. However, ever since D700 had been announced and I've been drooling all over D700 + my 17-35 and cant stop thinking of how magnificent its going to be for topside photography.

Anyways, I'll take a closer look at my D300 option.

Thanks Craig.

Used Ike D200 housing could be the most cost effective solution. If you plan on sticking to Ike gear you can re-use ports and stuff when you upgrade to next-gen D300 after some years.

I have a used Ike D200 housing if you are interested in going that way - just not had the chance to list it!

PM me if you want to go that way.

Paul C

Edited by PRC

Sponsors

Advertisements