After spending many hours trying to master Photoshop I stumbled on Rawshooter a few years ago. I was so impressed with it's effectiveness & usability that I paid to upgrade from the free download to the Premium version.

Overall I have been very happy with it but now that Pixmantec have been bought & submerged into Adobe I can no longer use the software with my D300 land camera, but still use it with the D200's I use underwater.

As a registered Pixmantec user I was provided with a free copy of Lightroom but have not had the time to learn if fully and it seems much more complex to use than Rawshooter.

Has anybody else been through this scenario and found a Rawshooter substitute they can recommend?

Thanks, Don

Hey Don,

I'd recommend you give Lightroom a chance. I'm a relative newby at this digital stuff and after trying to learn Photoshop for a year finally got a copy of Lightroom and have never looked back. Adobe has some free very well made videos on their site to show you how to use the program. Do a search for Lightroom. It is much more intuitive IMHO than the other programs I've tried. Good Luck.

Steve

I agree with Steve here Don.

I was a big fan of Rawshooter as well and a little nervous when Pixmantec got assimilated. The first problem I had with Lightroom was that my computer just ran like a dog with it, but I was well overdue an upgrade (it was over 5 years since the last one). Once I got it running on decent hardware, I spent an evening playing with a copy of a group of images, so no harm done if I messed them up. I found that it's really intuitive - and very similar to Rawshoorter in many aspects.

Get a copy of Scott Kelby's book and give it a go is my advice (and make sure your on 1.2 or above).

Steve

Steve's....thanks for the advice - looks like I'll just have to settle down and learn Lightroom then!

I have the latest version and it's running on a decent machine, so I guess it's just me that will have to get stuck in to it.

Thanks for the tip on the Scott Kelby book!

Don

Hey Don

I've travelled down the same path. I thought RawShooter was excellent and bought the Premium version too. I was so disappointed when Adobe bought them out and, as you say, was offered a free version of Lightroom. I tried this out but, intially at least, didn't spend the time to get to know the program - and was ambivalent about it. When I bought a D300 I couldn't use RawShooter so decided to look into Lightroom more. Oy vey! What a program. It is very powerful and has all sorts of useful routines and facilities. The more I use it, the more I like it.

So I'd suggest spending some time getting to know Lightroom - as the Steves suggest. I've certainly found it worthwhile.

Well....I took the advice and upgraded to Lightroon 2.0 and bought Scott Kelby's book - and I have to say that you guys were absolutely correct, it's one hell of a program once you get in to it!

It's so good that when I went back in to Rawshooter the other day I was really dissapointed with the results and re-edited the image in Lightroom...

Thanks again for the advice!

Don

Glad it's working out Don. Don't forget to update to 2.1

;)

Steve

Jeez, Don! If YOU are now a Lightroom convert, I guess I better get Kelby's book and give it a serious go! :guiness:

BTW, remember the conversation we had during a surface interval in Lembeh Straight about the odds of Americans electing a certain black guy president? Well, I hope you're right about the message it sends the rest of the world, and that it ends up changing the perception that we're just a nation run by war-mongering old white guys. ;)

Jeez, Don! If YOU are now a Lightroom convert, I guess I better get Kelby's book and give it a serious go! :guiness:

BTW, remember the conversation we had during a surface interval in Lembeh Straight about the odds of Americans electing a certain black guy president? Well, I hope you're right about the message it sends the rest of the world, and that it ends up changing the perception that we're just a nation run by war-mongering old white guys. ;)

Hey Bruce, yes....I forced myself to learn Lightroom and it really is good once you get in to it.

And yes I do remember the conversation - in fact I was only thinking about it the day before yesterday as I watched the results of the US election!

For those wetpixellers who have not had the pleasure of doing a trip with Bruce, not only is he a great guy to dive with but he has a terrific sense of humor and is able to hold a seemingly endless array of interesting conversations to while away the hours in between dives!

Don

I had the same experience with LR and Rawshooter. I thought RS was the business and as a result only played around a bit with LR. I was using PSE for indexing etc. But with a switch to a Mac I thought I'd get stuck into LR and upgraded to 2.x and bought a book. Woweee! It saves so much time with indexing, renumbering - and can do most editing tasks that I need. Being able to edit, index and find offline is straightforward. And the end results (especially colours) are much better.

I now just have to work out the best way of indexing the 16,000 pics I had happily sitting on PSE Album. ;)

Sponsors

Advertisements