Sign in to follow this  
davephdv

mini DV formate

I've noted that Sony has a new Mini DV camcorder that can fit in a shirt pocket. Seems like this would be ideal for UW. The question is, how is the quality? Does it compare with Sony's 120 camcorder? Thanks.:)

obtw, does anyone have addresses for video camcorders forums where I can get info on this (The minDV camcorders)

I think you are referring to Sony's new format. This is not DV at all but is called Micro MV and is an MPEG2 format.

There are two disadvantages to this:

1) The quality is not as high as mini DV.

2) Only Sony software can be used for editing.

The major upside is that the tapes are very small and therefore the recorder can be very small.

As far as I am aware no housings exist for these cameras.

Models: DCR-IP5 and DCR-IP7BT (difference is still image capability and bluetooth)

Mark

Dave,

Mark is absolutely right, forget it as long as you have to use sony software to edit your videos.

If you're looking for something small, have a look at the JVC GR-DVP3

JVC offers a very small housing (depth rated 30m) that is very handy.

My husband was using it with a Werner Light video light system on our last trip and the results were amazing.

Sabine

Sony also makes the PC9 and PC5 cameras which are not much bigger than the ones listed above and are in the Mini DV formate (not the micro). Any ideas on the quality of video with these cameras? Anyone use one with the OceanHaus housings avalible for them? What formate are they? Can you use them with Mac software?

Where can you get the housing for the JVC camera?

The Sony PC9 and PC5 cameras are a bit bigger than the JVC GR-DVP3. They are supposed to have better lenses but we read a lot of reviews before me made our final decision. There is not very much difference but last august JVC offered the smallest housing.

I've never seen an Ocean housing but there are many housings available for these mini-camcorders. Ikelite offers a very nice and small one now, almost as small as the JVC housing but with a better depth rating.

In Germany the JVC housing is offered by many photo and video shops and you can order it online from JVC. Simply try www.jvc.com for the US.

The qualitity of videos taken with these mini camcorders is good but it would be unfair to compare it with a semipro 3 chip camcorder.

If you are interested i'll try to produce a small clip (some manta rays, some macro stuff ...) for the web and put it on my site - the quality will be worse than on a normal vhs video but good enough to get a first impression of what is possible with these camcorders.

You can edit your videos on a Mac, there is very good video editing software available and it comes preinstalled on the newer Macs.

Sabine

The Oceanhaus housings look very compact to me.

Here is a URL for a shop in the UK who sells them:

http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/web_sit...s_housings.html

The main disadvantage to me is that you can't see the screen on these housings.

For editing pretty much any PC with a Firewire/IEEE 1394/I-link socket can be used. This means both recent Macs and PCs can be used. For a PC an adaptor card can be had from £15 upwards.

Mark

Oceanhaus housings are made in Southern California and the distributer/co-designer is ABSea camera store http://www.absea.net/. BTW if you are ever near LAX airport and have some time you should visit their gallery. It is great and they have original prints from all the pros. Allan (the owner) knows alot of people in the industry.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements