BrianM

Canon G9 & G7 housing - DIY 67mm lens adapter

Irossel,

Thanks for the link. I have seen that thread before. Between BrianM and that thread, it got me interested in trying this modification. What I do not like about the link you mention:

1) Internal reflections since the black boot is removed from the lens barrel.

2) They have to form a method for connections of the wet lens.

I am hoping to re-use the front end of the lens barrel with the hood. This will need a bit of hood triming to fit but that should be easy enough. I am hoping to remove a slice from the barrel and re-attach the existing front end. This requires 2 cuts that are exactly in the same plane so that the connection can be re-made. Not practical by hand but likely possible with a machinist.

I am guessing the thickness of the removed slice needs to be about the same length as the difference between the ikelite regular G9 port and the short port.

I need to obtain that dimension and someone that is willing to provide a housing they are no longer needing. Willing to pay a reasonable fee for the housing but not too much as its only for the testing prior to using it on my G9 housing.

thanks for the encouragement. When/if I get the needed items, I will takes pics and post the results here.

Upon further review, I find my drawing not good enough to share yet but thanks for asking. If I get time to improve it, I will let you know.

Dave

Brian,

Nice mod. The lens caddy looks really handy. How did you mount it to the housing? Some closeups would be great! :P

Cheers

Brian,

Nice mod. The lens caddy looks really handy. How did you mount it to the housing? Some closeups would be great! :P

Cheers

Just some cable ties and nylon cord.

Hello all, THANK YOU SO FOR MUCH FOR THIS INFO! I bought myself a converter and macro lens for my Canon DC11 housing (G7) but never got around to using it since my housing is already falling apart. Thank god the euro's still up and I plan to get another for around 125 US for my next trip. Will definitely try your system as your pictures are GORGEOUS (subject matter, framing, everything). I also have the firmware hack, so will stay with my G7 as I'm quite happy with it. Happy bubbles to all!

Brian,

Thanks for the info on this thread. I have a G9 and the cannon housing. I have ordered 3 of the stepping rings from BH photo and 2 of the Inon ucl-165 lenses from Uwphotography.com. I have a friend that is absolutely amazing with his lathe, so I plan on utilizing his skills to assist with the mod. I'm going to take pics the entire process and plan on posting them after its all done.

I'm headed to Bonaire in October for a week and can't wait to see the results! Thanks again!

Paul

Paul, looks professionally done... :good: Should make a couple more for sale?

Paul, looks professionally done... :good: Should make a couple more for sale?

It certainly does, if you do make any to sell, please let me know as i wiould be interested in buying one.

If you look at Brians Flickr page and see what shots he is achieving with it, it is amazing. His latest shot of the Coleman shrimp is one of the best I have seen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianmayes/3435643247/

I hope you dont mind me putting this link here Brian.

all the best, Stew

Edited by stewsmith

Thanks for the info. I picked up a used DC21 and this is great because I have 67mm lens from Tetra housings. I completed the project in one try pretty much on the kitchen table. Just wanted to add that instead of the template I just took all 6 screws out and removed the plastic face plate from the housing. Placed the stepping ring (after sawing) on the table and put face plate on top and marked holes on ring. All a bit tedious but a great DIY modification that's easy on the wallet for a change.

Thanks for the info. I picked up a used DC21 and this is great because I have 67mm lens from Tetra housings. I completed the project in one try pretty much on the kitchen table. Just wanted to add that instead of the template I just took all 6 screws out and removed the plastic face plate from the housing. Placed the stepping ring (after sawing) on the table and put face plate on top and marked holes on ring. All a bit tedious but a great DIY modification that's easy on the wallet for a change.

I'm glad it worked for you. I was reluctant to remove all 6 screws as I didn't want to break the seal on the port, but testing that it's still waterproof without the camera in it can easily get around this concern.

If anyone is going to use this modification with just the internal flash (like me), then by moving the diffuser to the end of the close-up lenses, the shadow of the lenses are almost, if not completely reduced. I did mine by using a piece of elastic (from a flight luggage label) and drilling another hole in the diffuser. The next two images show what I mean. Plus here is a shot of the technique being used.

3561869577_3e0d56eb03.jpg

3562685736_53d79c504e.jpg

OK, So now I've done the mod, easy! i have my epoque 2X Macro lens, so now i would like some tips on managing such a minute depth of field that i have with this set up. Any tips and settings appreciated. :(

Practice on the surface first. Flowers and bugs make good subjects. I prefer to use autofocus and press the shutter halfway to lock the focus, then rock back and forth slightly to get the DOF where you want it on the subject, usually the eyes. The DOF increases slightly the smaller the aperture, so with the G9 you want to set it to f8.

Practice on the surface first. Flowers and bugs make good subjects. I prefer to use autofocus and press the shutter halfway to lock the focus, then rock back and forth slightly to get the DOF where you want it on the subject, usually the eyes. The DOF increases slightly the smaller the aperture, so with the G9 you want to set it to f8.

Thanks Brian, its going to be am interesting learning curve. :P

Hello Brian,

my name is René and I´m from Germany. So please excuse my bad english. I tried to sent you a PM, but it failed. So I try it here.

I saw your pictures on flickr.com and used the link from there to here.

Your pictures are brilliant. And for me it is extremely astonishing as I use the same basic equipment but with an external strobe and without the macro lenses.

Because I´m not so familiar with handwork I ordered an adapter from a shop. So now I´m waiting for it. I suspect that it won´t be so accurate than yours, but I will give it a try.

The reason I want to contact you ist, that I want to know how your pictures become so extraordinary sharp also in the details. Is it because of the macrolenses or because of your setting? I read above that you also use the autofocus. Is that correct? So what´s the secret?

Because of the external strobe I have no problem with the exposure. But many of my pictures are blurred. I know in many cases it is the failure of me as the user. But sometimes I don´t know what I did wrong when I was almost not moving and took time for the focus. And later when I watch the photo it is ok on the first glance but not very sharp in the detail. The distance between me an the object is in average about half a metre, sometimes less sometimes more. Is it to much?

Because my post is not really adequate to this topic I will stop here. I hope you can give me some advises. We can continue this conversation on email if you want. My adress is rene(dot)loeffler(at)gmx(dot)de

And again: Highest respect for you photos without using a professional gear. I cannot stop watching them.

Greetings

René

René, do you have any pictures to show us?

As I can see, you are too far of the subject for macro shots. Try to be as close as you can of the subject, and set a narrow aperture, like F8.

Edited by lrossel

:dancing: Just a note to say Thanks as I was just about to invest in an Ikelite Housing for my G9, the step up ring was the better option at £3.00!. Excellent description shame Canon doesn't come up with something similar for the housing. I look forward to trying out the Inon close up lens on my next dive. Alan

After watching the wonderful photos done by Brian, I decided to invest in the same solution.

Only difference is I bought an adapter: 'Mangrove AR-CN-M67' to avoid a risky manipulation.

Here some results:

Philippines

Cheers,

Renaud

Hi sorry. Does anyone know is there any underwater flash suitable to be used for Canon G9, with its OEM casing WP-DC21? Any third party flash that is compatible for use with the casing is welcome too :)

Sponsors

Advertisements