prince ahmed

Advice needed for Ikelite HV30

hi all

i got new hv30 and ikelite housing ,,,, i just need an advice for the best settings for underwater.... any one did any shooting with hv30???

the problem there is no times for me to try it underwater before my next trip after two 2 days..... thanx for every thing

Late maybe not...

This is what I used so far working great

-Shooter Priority 1/30 in low light....major consideration you have to move the camera very slow. Good light 1/60

-No Image Stabilization

-Always Manual balance

-Fine picture

-For now using the progressive 30p

-Auto shutdown

-High contrast screen

-No digital zoom

-can not thibk of any other

Ed

hi all

i got new hv30 and ikelite housing ,,,, i just need an advice for the best settings for underwater.... any one did any shooting with hv30???

the problem there is no times for me to try it underwater before my next trip after two 2 days..... thanx for every thing

Actually, I always shoot in CINE MODE for exposure ... I find that it is too easy to blow out highlights with the other automated exposure modes. I started out shooting in 60i, and am now shooting in 30p.

Rick Colman

Actually, I always shoot in CINE MODE for exposure ... I find that it is too easy to blow out highlights with the other automated exposure modes. I started out shooting in 60i, and am now shooting in 30p.

Rick Colman

Same here, I use the red filter, gives me more crisp colors, sometimes manual white balance sometimes tungstene does a better job, since it's next to impossible to get the manual whites to set, the icone just keeps flashing. Sometimes it's good, most of the time not...

I also got the Ikelite W20 wet lens ...BIG mistake, got ghost semicircular ring in the pic plus soft edges and little vignetting... Covered most of the housing with black cardboard inside, got a matte black ring on the camera to hide those shiny lines and still got the ghosts, the only thing that works a little was to wrap a black sheet made of plastic around the wide angle lens but as soon as tilt the camera up or down a few degrees, that damn semicircular ghost reappears, plus the image quality with the w20 is under par in HD, almost unuseable...

Anybody tried the 900$ HD WP-80 wide angle dome port yet on this baby...

I figured I'd talk to somebody who did instead of relying on Ikelite for this, since clearly the guys at R&D are sleeping on the job big time when it comes to testing Canon...

Class action anybody

I wrote them many times regarding this issue, never got a reply, it's the head in the sand syndrome...

Same here, I use the red filter, gives me more crisp colors, sometimes manual white balance sometimes tungstene does a better job, since it's next to impossible to get the manual whites to set, THE ICON JUST KEEPS FLASHING. Sometimes it's good, most of the time not...

I also got the Ikelite W20 wet lens ...BIG mistake, got ghost semicircular ring in the pic plus soft edges and little vignetting... Covered most of the housing with black cardboard inside, got a matte black ring on the camera to hide those shiny lines and still got the ghosts, the only thing that works a little was to wrap a black sheet made of plastic around the wide angle lens but as soon as tilt the camera up or down a few degrees, THAT DAMN SEMICIRCULAR GHOST REAPPEARS, plus the image quality with the w20 is under par in HD, almost unuseable...

Dear Thailand Stef,

Just wanted you to know I "feel your pain". I've modified one of the toggles on the housing in hopes of making WB setting easier. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

As far as the semicircular ghost, I get it with the Inon UWL-100 when the camera tilt is just right - very annoying and darn near impossible to edit out. I'd love to try a new set-up, but right now I'm trying to do what I can with what I've got.

I'll be anxious to hear if there's a wide angle lens that "cures" the problem.

Edited by Galapagos Girl

Dear Thailand Stef,

Just wanted you to know I "feel your pain". I've modified one of the toggles on the housing in hopes of making WB setting easier. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

As far as the semicircular ghost, I get it with the Inon UWL-100 when the camera tilt is just right - very annoying and darn near impossible to edit out. I'd love to try a new set-up, but right now I'm trying to do what I can with what I've got.

I'll be anxious to hear if there's a wide angle lens that "cures" the problem.

I got a hold of Ikelite and they told me that the 900$ HD WP-80 wide angle dome port will cure my problem, now my problem is trusting Ikelite with another 900$ since they can't seem to do their job right, so if any of you tried this configuration, please share the love...

I got a hold of Ikelite and they told me that the 900$ HD WP-80 wide angle dome port will cure my problem, now my problem is trusting Ikelite with another 900$ since they can't seem to do their job right, so if any of you tried this configuration, please share the love...

I am using the Ikelite as backup these days to a Gates/Sony combo. I am not convinced that any more expenditures on the Ike system will be fruitful. In short, 900.00 will go a long way towards a newer housing and better HDV cameras.

BTW - here is some footage shot on the Gates/ Sony combo. The Ikelite footage ended up being cut due to vignetting and loss of color using the add-on Ikelite Dome Port combos. & Raynox 50/50. In short, Gates wins hands down here. That being said I do like the Ike because it is lighter & kinda fun-lookin' vs. my aluminum housings. However, it's also not getting wet...nice acrylic paperweight. :offtopic:

p.s. the surface footage is a combo. of Canon and Sony HDV footage.

Edited by KenTorrent

Hey all

I have been using my Ike housing with the w20 for a few months with my sony.

I believe the ring is caused by the camera not being positioned close enough to the port lens. Which is damn near imposible to change yourself. I guess it all comes down to manufaturing of the housing with different cams and not enough research on their part... not the w20.

opps forgot to say I have never had this problem with my Ike/Sony hdrsr8 and w20 combo. Seems to be just other branded cams.

thanx sooooooooooooo much for reply...... its never late,,,, i used the camera in CINEMODE and and manual balance,,,,,, i got nice results ,,but i will follow also your advices

Sponsors

Advertisements