Alex_Mustard

What do you get if you cross a bicycle and a broom?

I am off on the Wetpixel Shearwater adventure on Friday and decided I needed a better pole camera.

There are some excellent solutions on the market. And mine is no-way near as cool as the Seacam system - which is awesome. But it is less likely to brake the bank.

This whole setup cost me $25 USD and consists of a metal broom, and a bicycle brake. And took less than an hour to assemble.

The broom ($7) acts as the pole - and by cutting off the bristles I can bolt it to a section of Ultralight arm - which fits between my normal two strobe mounting balls on the housing.

Then I attached a plastic bike brake leaver ($5) to the pole and attached a length of break cable ($3) and the lined outer sheath ($8).

pole2.jpg

At the camera end I mounted a small plastic block that is bolted to the housing and this secures the end of the cable sheath. The wire runs out of that and on to shutter.

pole1.jpg

The final conundrum is whether to drill the shutter release. At present the cable is just duck taped to the shutter. Seems secure, but drilling would be more so. To drill or not to drill, that is the question, that remains. Actually the system seems really reliable and there is great "shutter feel" through the bike brake.

I'd imagine the cable will crud up pretty quickly, but replacements are only $3 so I can count this as a consumable.

I have not costed in my camera buoyancy base (which I made a couple of months ago for a commissioned split level shot) which are actually 2 kneeling pads for gardeners ($0.50 each) which bolt to the bottom of the housing and the safety rope!

OK, so if anyone has the Seacam system on Shearwater I am going to suffer pole envy! But I look forward to testing it in the ocean. Works well in the bath.

It has gotta be an improvement on my last pole cam:

KN0X4797.jpg

Alex

Hell, I am envious already - but as you have pointed out Alex I also have plastic ports :D

You taking your own pole or purchasing a local one ? Going to look cool at check-in....

Works well in the bath.

Please post NO test shots..

Paul C

Edited by PRC

Thought about it. And I decided not to bring the broom as I know that they have poles on the Shearwater. Plus it really does not fit in my luggage! Plus I have some ideas for pole shots in the UK I would like to try.

I have taken the brake handle off the pole - so it packs really easily. Plus decided to drill my shutter lever - looks cool - like I'm a hardcore pole-camming diver.

This remote release will also work underwater... as there is nothing that needs to stay dry.

Alex

Nice one ALEX.

You should patent it :D

decided not to bring the broom

If you brought the broom you could fly over. :D

Very innovative Alex, avoiding the electronic option. You Brits have that inventor thing in your blood.

You Brits have that inventor thing in your blood.

I think that it has more to do with being tight/poor, Jeff. :D

Excellent results - do you think it would work with a Sea and Sea housing.. wondering if you would be up to hiring it out for when I go next year :-)

Yeah, those are fantabulous Alex. On my trip I tried SO hard to get that first shot - but there always seemed to be a foreign object in the picture.

Cheers

James

Yeah, those are fantabulous Alex. On my trip I tried SO hard to get that first shot - but there always seemed to be a foreign object in the picture.

That one benefitted from a bit of Photoshop! It is very hard to avoid the bubbles etc.

Hey Jane, if I am not using it, you are welcome to take it on your trip.

Alex

Alex, I love the first one. Shark and sunset, excellent. :-)

Great pics Alex

I think I may have a use for the bicycle/broom cam with some trout at Capernwray!

It is probably a stupid question, but when you drilled the shutter releaae-did you do it while it was attached to the housing?

If so how?!

Many thanks

Adam

Beautiful images, Alex! I love the sense of motion/activity in the second one!

Excellent idea, Alex! I have been contemplating a pole cam for some of the times I am out whale watching in the Monterey Bay. Earlier this spring, we had a gray whale right up against the boat seeking shelter from a pod of orcas. One question on your setup, and anyone can answer if they know the answer:

How is the bolted piece of plastic bolted to the housing? I must be missing something here. Is it a semi-permanent thing? Please describe. Thanks!

Jim

EDIT: Ok, I went to Subal's website, and I see now that there is a metal tab off the right side of the base where arms attach. I will have to think about adapting something to my Aquatica housing handle to replicate the plastic block. I'm excited! AND, my friend owns a bike shop in town and owes me some favors!

Edited by arthropoda

I wrote a more detailed article on this in UWP Magazine Issue 45. All prices in Euros as a tribute to the Mighty Boosh!

As a fan of cheap pole-caming, do I just need just a copy of this to turn my computer into remote monitor for my camera.

http://www.breezesys.com/NKRemote/press090114/index.htm

I need Matt's USB mod now:

http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/adding-usb-...ur-u-w-housing/

Or will I just end up dropping my laptop in the ocean!

I like the idea of sitting inside on the Shearwater clicking buttons on my laptop, while some intern pans after the sharks with my broom!

Alex

Yes Alex, that's all you need, and a USB bulkhead connection to your Nikon as Matt shows. You can do the same with Nikon Capture of course, and Aperture. (Not sure if Lightroom facilitates tethering). I've played around topside with this and plan to try my first pool shoot next weekend. Now someone just needs to hook this up to an iPod or iPhone. Hell why even, get out of your Shearwater bunk in the morning, make sure the intern serves you coffee and breakfast first. Actually the concept of immediate downloading without removing the camera from the housing is the most appealing part of this to me.

Edited by loftus

I like the idea of sitting inside on the Shearwater clicking buttons on my laptop, while some intern pans after the sharks with my broom!

How do you plan to remote the intern?

Yelling at them through the door lacks finesse - suppose a cattle prod and a couple of relay's might suffice....

Paul C

Looks pretty slick.

Heck, I'll apply as intern just to see the rig in action.

Mark

Yes Alex, that's all you need, and a USB bulkhead connection to your Nikon as Matt shows. You can do the same with Nikon Capture of course, and Aperture. (Not sure if Lightroom facilitates tethering). I've played around topside with this and plan to try my first pool shoot next weekend. Now someone just needs to hook this up to an iPod or iPhone. Hell why even, get out of your Shearwater bunk in the morning, make sure the intern serves you coffee and breakfast first. Actually the concept of immediate downloading without removing the camera from the housing is the most appealing part of this to me.

So Jeff, have you had your housing modified? Did Reef Photo do it?

Alex

So Jeff, have you had your housing modified? Did Reef Photo do it?

Alex

Ryan has made me a USB to Nikonos bulkhead for the third bulkhead on the Subal; hope to have it in the next few days. I have a 25 foot Nikonos cord that will go out of the pool and of course then a short Nikonos to USB connector for the laptop.

Ryan has made me a USB to Nikonos bulkhead for the third bulkhead on the Subal; hope to have it in the next few days. I have a 25 foot Nikonos cord that will go out of the pool and of course then a short Nikonos to USB connector for the laptop.

Cool. What third bulkhead?

Alex

Cool. What third bulkhead?

Alex

On the left; next to the strobe.

Test2009-01-147503.jpg

The 5m maximum USB transmission distance specifications may well overcome these efforts, but I'm curious to hear if it does in fact work :D.

The 5m maximum USB transmission distance specifications may well overcome these efforts, but I'm curious to hear if it does in fact work :D.

Good point; if necessary I'll get a shorter cable, probably only need about 5m. (I'll just make sure the laptop's secured to the table when I'm swimming around in the pool)

Sponsors

Advertisements