DavidScubadiver

60mm AF-S Micro Nicor f/2.8g ED Lens Photos

I thought it would be useful to show what this lens shoots so that people can get an idea of the range of photo opportunities available with this lens. Please contribute your own photos.

These pictures were taken during a recent dive trip to the Bahamas and are my first underwater photos taken with the lens.

2669221185_a6d77d7815.jpg

Spotfin Butterfly (from a few feet away)

2669195303_12f2718242.jpg

Curious Fish (close)

2669972854_4ee3c924a7.jpg

Hawksbill Turtle at night. (shot right up close)

2669197077_0f9a1d4284.jpg

Large Crab (relatively far away)

2669226811_9843d7cef3.jpg

Lionfish (shot up pretty close)

2670045328_b36ff61147_b.jpg

Lionfish shot from a bit further away.

Hey Guys,

Thanks a million for the fantastic pictures and information with lense types.

I am such a newbie to DSLR underwater photography that i still havent bought a housing or lense....presently doing research.

This thread has been such an invaluable source of sound information not only for myself but im sure for many more who have not posted a reply.

I suppoese that the financial commitment going DSLR underwater, certainly in my case anyway, you want to get your first port and lense selection correct to suit your needs and diving conditions. Already i have spent my hours searching high and low for photos with lense type, port and distance but nothing as usefull as what i have read in the last twenty minutes. Thank you all.

I agree with all above it would be fantastic, time premitting to post more pictures with other lenses.

Knowledge is king, thanks to all for not being so pompious and openly sharing information. I will adopt this attitude as i learn.

Big love too all.

Log.

Can you expand on that a little bit? I'm in the process of putting together a system, and I searched the POTW archives, and a surprising number of the macro shots were using the 105.

If I wanted a single macro lens (sorry, I mean "micro" 'cause it's a Nikkor) for both insect shots topside and critter/fish photography UW, would you still recommend the 60? Or do you think no single lense could do both?

My Nikkor 105 VR is my fav macro lens topside......UW though, the 60 is WAY easier to use and so much more versatile

I think that the 60mm is recommended as a "first lens" as it is more versatile than the 105mm with a cropped sensor. As a former film shooter, I bought the 60mm first and hated it, as I was used to shooting 1:1 macro with a Nikonos. It sat in the bag, while I used the 105mm all the time. Now, with digital, I love the 60mm, although it is still not my fav lens. That's because I prefer to shoot really small things. So, you have to evaluate what you like to shoot. I miss a lot of shots with the 105mm, as it just isn't suited to subjects larger than a football. Then again, I get a lot of shots of little things...the 60mm can get 1:1 underwater though...which it could not with film. The size of your system will also increase with the longer lens: another reason the 60mm is popular. If to this time, you have been shooting a digicam or not at all, then go with the 60mm. Whatever you decide, have fun shooting "with small eyes". Macro rocks...it allows us to see what everyone else swims by.

Cheers,

Marli

Edited by scubamarli

I love my 60mm (older D type) for both above and below water macro. I don't have the 105mm to compare with, but even if I did, I still think I would use the 60mm.

I find the 60mm great for insects and spiders, and I have few problems from being "too close" (a frequent criticism of the lens). I use soft boxes for lighting above water macro work and the closer working distance with the 60mm means you can go with smaller apertures if required. In many cases the 105mm would put you too far away for the light from the soft box forcing larger apertures.

Underwater, the lens is fantastic as you can be much closer to the subject and so reduce the amount of water between the port and the subject. Diving around Sydney the viz is not always great and reducing the amount of water makes a huge difference. Both the 60mm and the 105mm do 1:1 so you don't lose any magnification going with the 60mm. Probably the only area where the 105mm may be of value is with small skitty fish.

Edited by ATJ

This thread would have been SO useful for me when I first bought my system. I learned the hard way that much of what the pros here said were accurate....... too many of us newbies (like myself) find it hard to break away from what we know is a good lens topside.....things are simply VERY different underwater. My Nikkor 105 VR is my fav macro lens topside......UW though, the 60 is WAY easier to use and so much more versatile .....here are my three armature examples...I look forward to see what the pros like Alex can show us.... In fact, this would be a great thread for various lenses (especially with insight on the photog's distance from subject too if WA) ;

I think it really depends where/what you shoot, I actually really like the 105mm for macros place like Lembeh and Anilao for example.

The first lens I took was the Sigma 105 (and I bought the sigma vs the nikon for $ reasons) and I supplement it with a nexus wet diopter sometimes. The 105 is great to have that extra reach for shy and relatively small fish or portrait of fish of moderate size or because what 60mm brings you too close and (warning I'm talking macro here :angry: ).

Typically I have found that the 60mm sometimes bring chaos around anemonefish in some areas and they get way too agitated or too scared.

The only grip I have with the 105 is that it is a bit noisy and slow to focus and you need to have a good focus light with wide beam when in low light otherwise it can hunt badly (if you are trying to shoot a black nudi or a black frogfish in low light, be prepared for some frustration), in comparison the 60mm is pin point accurate, quiet and fast (though, it is sometimes challenged by those black on dark species too but much less). It could be that the D80 is responsible for part of that as well.

With the Sigma 105 EX DG:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86328154@N00/...57617545943509/

3519078051_fd74ab1a3a_d.jpg

3536099515_fd81110bf3_d.jpg

With the Nikon 60mm AF-S:

3499159389_844250e7e4_d.jpg

3531455969_e3c925e371_d.jpg

You can browse in the whole set to see 60 vs 105

I love my 60mm (older D type) for both above and below water macro. I don't have the 105mm to compare with, but even if I did, I still think I would use the 60mm.

I find the 60mm great for insects and spiders, and I have few problems from being "too close" (a frequent criticism of the lens). I use soft boxes for lighting above water macro work and the closer working distance with the 60mm means you can go with smaller apertures if required. In many cases the 105mm would put you too far away for the light from the soft box forcing larger apertures.

Underwater, the lens is fantastic as you can be much closer to the subject and so reduce the amount of water between the port and the subject. Diving around Sydney the viz is not always great and reducing the amount of water makes a huge difference. Both the 60mm and the 105mm do 1:1 so you don't lose any magnification going with the 60mm. Probably the only area where the 105mm may be of value is with small skitty fish.

Hey Guys,

If anyone had a photograph of their Housing set up for marco it would be very much appricated.

Too show strobe position and arm lengths etc. Is it nessary for a focus light.

If so anyone got any favourites..........

I will be the proud owner of a Subal ND30 in the next two weeks with 60mm macro lense.

Big love to all. Thanks.

Regards,

Log

I just want to say: BUMP

Great thread. Very helpful for me. I came with just the questions addressed here. Wonderful forum!

It would be fun if a couple of folks posted what their setup looks like, strobe positions, etc. as was suggested above. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

I think it really depends where/what you shoot, I actually really like the 105mm for macros place like Lembeh and Anilao for example.

The first lens I took was the Sigma 105 (and I bought the sigma vs the nikon for $ reasons) and I supplement it with a nexus wet diopter sometimes. The 105 is great to have that extra reach for shy and relatively small fish or portrait of fish of moderate size or because what 60mm brings you too close and (warning I'm talking macro here :nea: ).

Typically I have found that the 60mm sometimes bring chaos around anemonefish in some areas and they get way too agitated or too scared.

The only grip I have with the 105 is that it is a bit noisy and slow to focus and you need to have a good focus light with wide beam when in low light otherwise it can hunt badly (if you are trying to shoot a black nudi or a black frogfish in low light, be prepared for some frustration), in comparison the 60mm is pin point accurate, quiet and fast (though, it is sometimes challenged by those black on dark species too but much less). It could be that the D80 is responsible for part of that as well.

You can browse in the whole set to see 60 vs 105

I just checked out the Philippines 2009 (Set) . Wow!!!

Great shots

Kirk

Sponsors

Advertisements