Sign in to follow this  
shawnh

Shrimpers See More Sharks

"His hope now is that more people will apply for permits to catch sharks to thin out the herds."

This is the kind of thinking that has continued the demise of shark populations. We see a small area where sharks may be recovering slightly and our wonderful shrimpers seek to wipe them out again. This is the face of extensive reports about the collapse in Atlantic Shark Populations.

Three shark bites have been reported in the past three weeks in Lowcountry waters and shrimpers say they've seen an increase in the number of sharks in the water.

But do you need to be worried? News two's Tara Lynn spent the day with a shrimper to find out.

Most Lowcountry shrimpers start the day patching their nets, Closing holes that sharks ripped open trying to eat fish caught in the nets.

McClellanville shrimpers Willy Thomas and Darrell Cumbee say they're sewing up more than ever before.

http://www.wcbd.com/midatlantic/cbd/news.a...07-16-0024.html

"His hope now is that more people will apply for permits to catch sharks to thin out the herds."

This is the kind of thinking that has continued the demise of shark populations. We see a small area where sharks may be recovering slightly and our wonderful shrimpers seek to wipe them out again. This is the face of extensive reports about the collapse in Atlantic Shark Populations.

Three shark bites have been reported in the past three weeks in Lowcountry waters and shrimpers say they've seen an increase in the number of sharks in the water.

But do you need to be worried? News two's Tara Lynn spent the day with a shrimper to find out.

Most Lowcountry shrimpers start the day patching their nets, Closing holes that sharks ripped open trying to eat fish caught in the nets.

McClellanville shrimpers Willy Thomas and Darrell Cumbee say they're sewing up more than ever before.

http://www.wcbd.com/midatlantic/cbd/news.a...07-16-0024.html

Gee imagine that!!!! Some of the most destructive fishermen on the planet (shrimpers) wanting some of the most endangered animals on the planet (sharks) culled for shrimp cocktail...Are the sharks following the shrimp boats because of the obscene volume of bycatch that the shrimpers are dumping in the water!!!? Or are the sharks going after the bycatch in the nets? I cant think of too many shark spieces, on the east coast, that target shrimp as thier primary food source. If the sharks are targeting the shrimp in the nets then why would they do so? Have the shrimpers scrubbed the seas so clean that the sharks have had to change thier feeding behavior?

A while back I was talking to Eric about the fact that the only seafood I enjoyed was shrimp and told him (quite proudly) that I only ate "farmed" shrimp because wild shrimp was caught in such a destructive manner. Well, Eric was kind enough to enlighten this knuckle-dragger (me) of the destructive nature of shrimp farming as well. I haven't had a shrimp since.... Thank you Eric for enlightening a neanderthal...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements