Sign in to follow this  
Drew

Subal ND30 won't fit D700

A little birdy told me that Arnold Stephanek has confirmed the D700 will not fit their D300 housing. Apparently the controls and viewfinder don't line up. Those wanting F/D X flexibility will have to look elsewhere.

I asked him if the planned new housing for the D700 would be able to be used with the D300 to allow the versatility of switching between FX and DX in the same housing. He said not because as well as the viewfinder / overall height being greater on the D700 some of the controls on the back are in different positions.

Seems to me that 1 housing with 2 different back plates would still allow the switch.

Colin

I hope that prospective customers start to demand that the housing manufacturers begin to think in terms of multi-camera housings where possible. The fact that individuals can modify housings in their garage, and some companies like Aquatica can accommodate D200-D300 conversions, means it can be done if the company wants to, and plans appropriately. For example I think it would certainly be possible to build a housing designed to accommodate a D700 size camera and then the smaller D200 and D300. This will definitely be a consideration for me when planning my next housing purchase in the next 6-9 months. Unfortunately some of the housing companies are more arrogant and intransigent in their response to customers need than others in this respect. Ultimately they will lose sales if they continue to do this and don't respond to their customer's needs.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements