Sign in to follow this  
Cal

Cal's Semi kelp forest shots

Hey Wetpixelators

I managed to dive some very interesting sites this week.

Victoria (where I'm from) has the Mornington peninsula. This peninsula has two sheltered bays on each side and a surf coast on the very small ocean facing side. This means you can dive no matter where the winds coming from.

This surf coast is very rarely dived as its simply too rough and dangerous with crazy surge, rips and surf pounding away.

This constant hammering has created some incredible dive sites.

Every once in a blue moon the surf dies down and you can get out and onto some amazing dives.

I love these dives because only a small number of people have ever done them and there sometimes quite epic.

The particular dive site I did is called Spray Point caverns. It requires rope and hard work to get to the shore. You have to walk a few hundred meters up a fairly steep path, jump a fence in scuba gear and then tie up a rope to use as a guide line and clamber down a very steep sand dune (used to be a path but has eroded.)

Okie Dokey so heres a pic of the coast line ( I hate posting topside pics) Just to the right of the two rock formations is the entry point. you have to time your entry with the receding waves or you get pushed onto the rocks :)

2680229840_497d75f788.jpg

And heres a pic of the incredible viz we had! I'm only posting this one so Victorians can stop and stare at the viz...... Around here, anything more then 5m is good :blush:

2676620913_f7b591cac3.jpg

Heres an interesting one from below the surf, I'm not sure if I like it but it was a new subject for me. Also whilst taking this I was holding onto a kelp blade with one hand. The surge was that strong.

2679392327_ee47ac2670.jpg

These were taken at a different dive site.

I dived Diamond Bay 5 weeks ago and there was a flourishing kelp forest. Now its all been torn out by a recent storm.

2677399716_86e7363403.jpg

I really like the natural light on these schooling trevally

2676596563_101d3dd4f4.jpg

2676569819_976b2e1f6c.jpg

2676605111_307b28f5d6.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them because it sure was an adventure to get them!

Cheers,

Cal

Very nice.

nice job Cal, esp. the schooling fish photos

glad to see you are getting exercise, my wife and I once did a dive also where we had to use a rope to get up and down to the dive site..lots of fun! that was before I got my dSLR :)

looks like your hard work paid off

Scott

Wow, that's what you call "want to" to make a dive! Congrats on the dive and nice pics.

Kevin

Hey Cal, Love the sky in your topside image! I'm also really liking the kelp/sun shots. I'm a little worried about you though, climbing down mountains in your scuba gear. :) Back in the good old days we would let the gear down on lines and then climb down. Shortly after one of these trips we discovered boats. :blush: Looks like in your case it might be worth a try.

Thanks for sharing the results of all your hard work.

Dive safe,

Steve

Thanks guys!

Steve: I'm too poor for charter boats, uni student here :) that means doing it the hard way :blush:

Cal

heres a few more

2685537310_b5b36dd7c8.jpg

2685520668_32683f7d42.jpg

2684694193_9562328e2c.jpg

Cheers!

Cal

Edited by Cal

Thanks!

I was hesitant to post the last few as I just wasn't quite sure if they were quality. I'm very hard on my own work so hearing other people affirm it is always a great way to start the day!

Cheers,

Cal

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements