Sign in to follow this  
Reefkeep

Ikelite Nikon CP5000 -> How wide is wide

Ok, whats the better option for WA shots.

(a) Use the Nikon 19mm conversion lens and but the extra port.

(B) Use the UWL-100 wide angle lens from Inon or #58070 Sea & Sea conversion wide lens that attach directly to the standard port.

The nikon lens is 99 degrees and some of those add ons are 100. The nikon add on is designed for the CP 5000 and is very sharp. I have been experimenting with it and I am impressed with how close it focuses. Basicly you can focus on the front of the lens. Both the other lenses and the Nikon are add on lenses but the nikon is designed for the camera while the others are not. I'll bet that the nikon lens is sharper. This is very important in very wide lenses like which we are talking. With it's close focusing macro ability I'm not sure the advantage over the nikon of being able to removing these other lenses UW is significant. I thought I read in another post that some of these lenses can be used above water. If true this would mean the optics are not optimized for UW shooting

I own the Nikon 19mm conversion lens and it is a superb piece of equipment. Since it is called the WC-E68 that means that it reduces the focal length by a factor of .68

The native lens on the coolpix is 28-85 mm if memory serves, so this WA converter brings you down to 19-58 mm. (35mm equivalent). The lens has excellent depth of field (pretty much infinite) and focuses very close.

The lens and UR-E5 adapter is about $175 and the Ikelite domeport is a comparable price for a total of around $350. I have chosen this over the Inon lens even though I had an excellent chance to buy Ken Knezick's used Inon WA lens at last month's photo club meeting.

That's my 2 cents.

Cheers

James

James, your shots at the flower garden , did you use the 19mm or the native 24mm?

[Edited on 5-7-2002 by Reefkeep]

Native. It's 28mm.

Cheers

James

OK any hints you can offer, Camera specific would be great. White balance, exposure settings, auto exposure or not?

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements