Subal told me they were planning one for release later this year - probably October / November time. They also told me it wouldnt be possible to use a D300 in the housing for the D700 as the viewfinder height is different as well as some of the controls on the back of the camera.

Colin

Subal told me they were planning one for release later this year - probably October / November time. They also told me it wouldnt be possible to use a D300 in the housing for the D700 as the viewfinder height is different as well as some of the controls on the back of the camera.

Colin

It would seem that if they wanted to they could make a second back and footplate for a D700 housing; but they probably won't, because that would be going to excessive lengths to take care of their customers. :D

It would seem that if they wanted to they could make a second back and footplate for a D700 housing; but they probably won't, because that would be going to excessive lengths to take care of their customers. mad.gif

I don't think that is a fair statement.

If this can be done seamlessly, and with Subal precision, they are inclined to offer it. This makes very good business sense, but can be difficult to engineer without making control alignment compromises, and that is not in their business model.

Something similar was actually done for the 30d. The Canon 30d didn't fit in the 20d housings, but subal did make the 30d front compatible with both the 20d and 30d. This allowed them to carry less inventory, and allowed customers to purchase both backs to use a 20d as a backup. Those two cameras were so close in utility that this wasn't a popular configuration, but it was available.

Well Ryan, you know I'm a Subal fan, but Aquatica could do it for the D200/300 so I'm sure Subal could do it if they really wanted to; particularly as they now have the opportunity to design the housing ahead of time for a D300 and D700

Edited by loftus

Well Jeff they are also sorta in the business to make money. If making a housing that fits both cameras hits a price point that loses sales, then it's counter productive. I do think this does make things interesting for the manufacturers. Do they throw out the mold and possibly have stock issue (pre-ordered alu molds can't be just dumped)? It makes economic sense to have a housing that fits both cameras as essentially it'd be a single product. The D700's slight difference in size may mean it isn't technically feasible on (millimeters can be a big issue in housings).

Wait for the manufacturers to get their hands on the cameras and make announcements. Seems Subal has decided against it (for now). 1 down, more to go.

Well Jeff they are also sorta in the business to make money. If making a housing that fits both cameras hits a price point that loses sales, then it's counter productive. I do think this does make things interesting for the manufacturers. Do they throw out the mold and possibly have stock issue (pre-ordered alu molds can't be just dumped)? It makes economic sense to have a housing that fits both cameras as essentially it'd be a single product. The D700's slight difference in size may mean it isn't technically feasible on (millimeters can be a big issue in housings).

Wait for the manufacturers to get their hands on the cameras and make announcements. Seems Subal has decided against it (for now). 1 down, more to go.

Just hoping some of them read these posts and take note; now with a new D700 in my hands I really think I could be pretty happy for a few years with a D700, a D300 and one little Subal housing. :blink:

Well, we are coming out with a housing for the D700, it will have an all new look, machined from solid aluminum, the same as our flagship housings for the D2x, D3 and soon to ship 1DS Mk III, but of course in a smaller package. All future housings from Aquatica will also use this concept. Whenever I get a chance, I peek over the designers shoulder to keep up with what’s happening and let me tell you, this new design looks real slick, I think our customers are really going to like this one and of course they will like the Aquatica pricing :blink: . Will try to post some pictures soon.

Cheers

Just hoping some of them read these posts and take note; now with a new D700 in my hands I really think I could be pretty happy for a few years with a D700, a D300 and one little Subal housing. :blink:

We are and always take the time to weight all the options, whenever it can be done (easy and affordable) it will be done, in the case of the D200 / D300 it was a no brainer, sorry guy's but it was kindergarden easy, why we are the only one that offered it is beyond me... just tought I toot my own horn here.

Sponsors

Advertisements