Sign in to follow this  
spoobs

Neckstrap for Olympus underwater housing?

I have the Olympus PT-030 housing for the SP-350. I would like to take the camera in the housing on an above water trip and would prefer to carry it around the neck. Is there a neck strap with padding that would work to attach to where the wrist strap is secured? Thank you.

Sell that 350 on E-Bay as fast as you can and get a real camera like the Canon G9. I had a 350, battery life was 20 min max on a dive! Sent it back 3x and they could not fix it. Last time I sent it back to Oly, they stole my 1 Gig memory card and refused to return it. I sold the 350 on E-Bay, took a big loss, would NEVER buy a Oly product again. The G9 is an awsome camera and there is no comparison to the 350!

Get a real camera with some real battery life

Fl Irishman

I have the Olympus PT-030 housing for the SP-350. I would like to take the camera in the housing on an above water trip and would prefer to carry it around the neck. Is there a neck strap with padding that would work to attach to where the wrist strap is secured? Thank you.

I would think almost any neck strap could be made to work. Have you looked around at all? I wouldn't imagine it would be terribly hard to find a commerical solution.

Sell that 350 on E-Bay as fast as you can and get a real camera like the Canon G9. I had a 350, battery life was 20 min max on a dive! Sent it back 3x and they could not fix it. Last time I sent it back to Oly, they stole my 1 Gig memory card and refused to return it. I sold the 350 on E-Bay, took a big loss, would NEVER buy a Oly product again. The G9 is an awsome camera and there is no comparison to the 350!

Get a real camera with some real battery life

Fl Irishman

Sincerely sorry to hear you had a bad experience with a 350, but read around the interwebs a bit (here and the photography forum at Scubaboard) and it's clear that the 350 is still considered one of the better PnS cameras out there, especially for underwater work. Many many others have not had the same experience.

I'm not saying you didn't have the problems you describe, and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but is this really the place, and does your post really address the question? (p.s. also sorry you "took a loss" on the 350...if you'd found this site sooner I'm sure you could've gotten top dollar for it. There are many who've posted they've flooded theirs and looked for replacements, which are getting hard to come by.)

TO the OP: any old neck strap should work for above-water use. Didn't the 350 come with one originally? I'd bet it could be worked thru the loop on the housing just fine. If it's more padding you're after, do you have an excess shoulder strap from some luggage somewhere, or from a laptop bag, which has padding?? You might be able to use it even if it has shackles/clips, by working a split ring into the loop on the housing itself. Or another cheap idea: cut a sleeve from an old dead wetsuit as an extra pad and tie it on with cable ties? Try some of that split-foam used for insulating pipes? I know, now I'm really out in the deep end. :blink:

Underwater...if the wrist strap isn't enough, you can use a plastic coil lanyard, some of which even come with a clip to hold them 'bunched up' for entry or swimming hands-free, but which can be unclipped to allow the coil to extend, sort of like this one:

http://www.divers-supply.com/ProductDetail...amp;click=10713

Not sure how comfortable that would be around the neck (clip the opposite shackle to the ring at the end on the camera) for above water though. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. The housing has a single hole for a wrist strap, so a traditional strap would not work. I think I found a solution for Optech.

Get the Optech quick release which uses a quicker drying string attachment rather than woven straps.

"they stole my 1 Gig memory card and refused to return it."

Did you read the repair policy? You aren't supposed to send in your memory, and it says you won't get it back if you do :-)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements