Sign in to follow this  
kevphol

Looe Key Reef - Newbie pics snorkeling

Just got back from the Florida Keys and a great snorkeling trip on Looe Key Reef. Below are a few of the better pics. For the record, if you think underwater photography is tough while diving, try it while snorkeling! (who knew that fish will not pose?) Had to snorkel for the wife and kids but I definitely see dive certs in the near future for the kiddos. I've played with cropping and color some in PS but comments and criticism are welcome. (just remember - I was just snorkeling in 15-35 feet of water :huh: )

Kevin

BlueSurgeons.jpg

Cuda.jpg

FrenchAngels.jpg

Nurseshark.jpg

Parrotpair.jpg

Turtle.jpg

Turtle2.jpg

Kevin,

Nice shot of the barracuda!

What setup were you using?

Richard.

Thanks Richard. These shots were more about capturing some memories from the trip than anything else. Can't get too picky when you have to free dive a good 15 ft, try to look through a housing at a 1.5 inch LCD and compose a shot while waiting on the fish to cooperate, then shoot back to the surface before you pass out! :)

I used a Canon S1 IS with a WP-DC20 housing that I just got before the trip. Obviously no strobe or any other toys. I did have a magic filter but decided not to use it because it was kind of a cloudy day and I figured I could use the extra stop of light more the the blue correction. I adjusted the color (or attempted to at least) in PS.

That 'cuda was quite large and I got quite close to it before having to trek back to the surface. Another funny, but disheartening story is that we following a large spotted eagle ray for a good while that was just beautiful. The whole time I was shooting video with the S1, or so I thought, and never took any stills of it. As it turns out, I was depressing the wrong button on the housing the whole time so no recording occured! Lesson learned. Get to know your equipment before going in the water! ^_^

Kevin

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements