bmyates

Hooking bare end of fiber optic cord to a housing

This may be a dumb question, but does anybody make a generic "attachment kit" for attaching the end of a fiber optic strobe cable (so it can be triggered by the camera's built-in flash) to a housing for which there is no attachment mechanism handy? In this case, the specific cable is this one (for Inon strobes):

pr_00368_lg.jpg

You can see lots of photos of the housing in this thread:

Since Inon doesn't support the G9 housing specifically, and I already have Inon strobes, I was just wondering how I might be able to hook up the fiber optic cable to fire a Z-240. Anyone have any ideas?

Bruce, I think the Optical D Cable is a generic all purpose cable that is supposed to connect to all types of cameras. Of course, the larger, screw end connects to the strobe, but the bare end goes into the Cap W to be held out in front of the camera's flash. So, you know you need to set the camera to "force flash".

If none of the parts from Inon can be McGyvered or Jerry Rigged, I think the easiest thing to do is to use a wire stripper. Remove about a 1/16" of the black plastic covering from the end of the fiber optic cable. Use black electrical tape to tape it to the housing in front of the flash. It would be important to completely cover the bare end of the fiber with the tape so no stray light from another photographer or the sun could accidentally set off the strobe. Not pretty, but it would work!

Good Luck!

Try this thread.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...;hl=cheap+cable

It shows various Do-It-Yourself selections for your problem.

I have the sea and sea parts mentioned above and it works great BUT That kit does NOT include the end fitting you need on the bare end cable. The thread I listed does have that part as well.

Hope that helps out.

For attaching two INON cables to an Ike housing, this is my solution. Note the two holes below the Cap set for also connecting Sea and Sea cables. The mask saddles the port and any rotational movement is prevented by pads of velcro. Illumination from the camera's flash is also prevented. This may give you some ideas for a similar arrangement to fit the OEM housing.

post-13968-1217574098.jpg

post-13968-1217574107.jpg

Edited by Timmoranuk

Thanks for the ideas, guys! I just found a ready-made solution over at Reef Photo (those guys are GREAT!).

This part

Does this:

So I'll be trying that solution for now!

Edited by bmyates

Thanks for the ideas, guys! I just found a ready-made solution over at Reef Photo (those guys are GREAT!).

This part:

http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=p...roducts_id=1705

does this:

http://reefphoto.com/tt/index.php?action=kb&article=20

So I'll be trying that solution for now!

The first link did not take me to a particular part, just the website.

What part are you using?

Always intereted in learning.

Dave

The first link did not take me to a particular part, just the website.

What part are you using?

Always intereted in learning.

Sorry - I had a bad link in my earlier post. I've fixed it now. It doesn't show a photo of the part(s) in the first link, but the second link shows it all being installed, so you can get a good idea from that. I'll try to let you all know how it works when I get it!

Sponsors

Advertisements