Don Silcock

Tokina 11-16 & Subal

I succumbed to temptation today here in Shanghai, where I am currently working, and bought the Tokina 11-16 after managing to bargain it down to the same price from B&H plus postage to Australia....

I bought it principally for use above water, but was wondering if anybody has used one underwater yet with a Subal housing.

If so, which port EXR is needed and does the lens need a dioptre?

Thanks, Don

Hi Don,

Would love to hear how this lens goes UW, as I'm looking at getting one myself for the same reasons as you - for use above water, but with the thought of taking it under at some point.

How're you finding the lens above water?

Cheers,

Ryan.

I've already got this lens on order, so I'd love to hear how it handles too.

Check Ken Rockwell's review, especially the sharpness tests vs the nikkor 12-24mm, with which i've consistently been less than impressed.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

The main points of his review: sharper, simpler distortion, not AF-S meaning it won't AF with a nikon D40. The limited zoom range allows (hopefully!) for an optically superior lens and its a 2.8!!! Of course i'll have to make these comparisons myself once it arrives, but i'm stoked enough about a wider, sharper, 2.8 lens w/ a 77mm filter ring.

Anyone want to buy a 12-24mm nikkor.....

Jean: any word on Aquatica extension/zoom rings for this lens w/ the 9.25" dome??

Cheers,

Chris

EDIT: Just received word my lens is in and should have it by the end of the week! Hopefully Ill get it in the water this weekend and post some pics.

Edited by Undertow

I succumbed to temptation today here in Shanghai, where I am currently working, and bought the Tokina 11-16 after managing to bargain it down to the same price from B&H plus postage to Australia....

I bought it principally for use above water, but was wondering if anybody has used one underwater yet with a Subal housing.

If so, which port EXR is needed and does the lens need a dioptre?

Thanks, Don

Hi Don, I'm coming to Shanghai in a couple of week and I'm looking for the same lens that you have bought. Wich are the best stores to buy lenses? Are they safe? Have them web-sites? Can you tell me what is the price of the Tokina 11.16?

Thank you!

P.

Sponsors

Advertisements