paul.hunter

Indonesian Visa

Greetings All

Anyone here been to Indonesia and only done the visa's at the airport once landed. We are allowed to do it but was wondering what I need and what could go wrong?

Thanks

Paul

Almost everyone does VISA On Arrival. Although the rules vary depending on which country you are from. Last time I entered Indonesia I was with a load of people from RSA and they did Visa On Arrival (but do check). It costs USD 25 for 30 days, I think.

The system is now computerised, which can cause problems when there is a power failure, which has been known to happen in Indonesian Airports! One of my Indonesian Visa is hand written - as a result (after much queuing!).

Alex

Depending on your port of entry, the visa on arrival process ranges from "pleasantly easy" to "mildly annoying"

Jakarta is now computerized, which means you turn in your visa application (w/your passport) in one window, and then get it back (5-10 min. later depending on where you are in the line) at another window (w/a computer generated visa sticker now occupying a page of your passport).

Note: you need to have at least 1 clean (empty) page, and I believe they require three pages to be blank (upon entry). A friend of mine was detained (while I waited for him) because he only had 2 pages left in his. Eventually they gave him the visa and said "get more pages..."

I believe Bali is computerized now as well, not sure about Manado (last time I was there [3 yrs ago] it was definitely hand written). Some of the border crossing areas in Borneo are still hand written (as expected) as well.

Your passport must be valid for at least Six months from date of entry aswell

also remember to keep 100,000 Rupiah to pay airport tax when leaving

a few people forget this one , me incuded

if you have an 'agent' awaiting you at the airport, they can speed things up at a cost, might be worth while if there a few of you and a lot of disembarking passengers.

In addition to what everyone else has listed, be prepared to show your return plane ticket or ticket to an onward destination. Having said that, when I had arrived they didn't request it of me (which is good since I didn't have one!). But it is a visa requirement. When I was last in Jakarta it took less than 5 mins to get the visa. I had just flown in from Singapore on a late night flight. Hope this helps.

Greetings All

Anyone here been to Indonesia and only done the visa's at the airport once landed. We are allowed to do it but was wondering what I need and what could go wrong?

Thanks

Paul

Paul;

Yo need passport with at least 6 months breathing space as mentioned below

and enough clean pages, also mentioned

However

Those traveling from Los Angeles can apply for a VISA in LA at the Indonesian Consulate

The Indonesian Consulate is on Wilshire Blvd near down town

Just a mile or so from the Singapore Airlines office, also on Wilshire

If you have a passport with a VISA, you do not have to stand in that long line in Manado

You go to the short line to the right, and bingo you are in, no problem.

If you plan to stay more than 30 days you need the VISA up front

Hope this helps Indo travelers, esp from LA

Bill Macdonald

www.youtube.com/007bmac

www.macdonaldproductions.com

It's all pretty simple as others have noted, just remember to smile and not get too uptight and it will be fine. I'd be more worried about customs agents but that is a whole other story.

I'll be back in Bali at the weekend, give me a shout if you fancy a beer or need any help.

Paul;

If you have a passport with a VISA, you do not have to stand in that long line in Manado

You go to the short line to the right, and bingo you are in, no problem.

If you plan to stay more than 30 days you need the VISA up front

Hope this helps Indo travelers, esp from LA

Bill Macdonald

www.youtube.com/007bmac

www.macdonaldproductions.com

Hi Bill,

Just to confirm what you are saying above. It is possible to stay longer than 30 days with a pre-arranged Indo Visa? If so, what is the ultimate limit for an American?

Thanks a lot!

S.

I've traveled several times to Indonesia on a 60 day Visa obtained thru the Consulate General in LA as Bill stated. Easy to get. Usually takes 7-10 days (passport, 2 applications with 2 photos ea, $45). Longer stays available but I'm not sure what is really involved for a multiple entry or extended stay Visa for example. Some people leave the country after 30 days then re-enter on a new 30 day Visa.

Thanks JC. Now that I know it's possible, I'll contact the Chicago office.

I also found out frin the IN gov't site that a special permit is required for Irian Jayra, among others:

[ There are regions in Indonesia that the foreign national is not allowed to visit without special written permission and approval. The four regions are: Maluku, Poso, and Irian Jaya/West Papua. The Applicant who wishes to enter the restricted regions must obtain special authorization from Indonesian authorities. Important: Please advise to the Embassy/ Consulate Generals about the intention to visit restricted regions. link]

Do I need a passport or visa to visit Indonesia?

Your passport will need to be valid for at least 6 months after your entry into Indonesia and must have at least one totally clear page for the visa sticker.

The current regulations in full are thus:

11 countries and territories are eligible for a "Visa Free" facility. Those holding valid passports from the following countries will be granted a non-extendable 30-day Visa-Free Short Visit Permit upon arrival at an Indonesian international gateway without charge: Brunei Darussalam

Chile

Hong Kong SAR

Macau SAR

Malaysia

Morocco

Peru

Philippines

Thailand

Vietnam

Singapore

Nationals of the following 63 countries are now eligible to purchase a non-extendable visa on arrival for either USD 10 (for a maximum of 7 days) or USD 25 (for a maximum of 30 days). All Wakatobi and Pelagian guests require a 30 day visa. Algeria

Argentina

Australia

Austria

Bahrain

Belgium

Brazil

Bulgaria

Cambodia

Canada

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Egypt

Estonia

Fiji

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Iceland

India

Iran

Ireland

Italy

Japan

Kuwait

Laos

Latvia

Libya

Liechtenstein

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Maldives

Malta

Mexico

Monaco

New Zealand

Norway

Oman

Panama

People's Rep. of China

Poland

Portugal

Qatar

Romania

Russia

Saudi Arabia

Slovakia

Slovenia

South Africa

South Korea

Spain

Switzerland

Sweden

Suriname

Taiwan

The Netherlands

Tunisia

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom

United States of America

If you are staying in Indonesia for longer than 30 days, you will need to apply for a 60 days tourist visa in advance of your arrival in Indonesia.

All other nationals should apply for visas in their home country before departure for Indonesia. There will be no leniency for nationals of countries not listed above should they arrive without a valid visa - they will be sent home immediately.

US citizens are entitled to buy a visa upon your arrival for 30 days for $25 USD.

Since visa regulations change quite frequently, we strongly suggest that you check the above requirements with your travel agent, or with the airline you intend flying with.

Although many taxes and security fees will be included in the cost of your air ticket, Indonesia levies an international departure tax of Indonesian Rupiah 150,000 (about US$15.00) at Denpasar airport. Please ensure that you have enough Indonesian currency available to pay this fee on the day of departure from Indonesia.

Hope that helps................

Dave Morgan slaving away at work in the UK.

I'll be heading to Indo 3 times in the next year and contacted the L.A. consulate about obtaining a visa for a year or "multiple entries". They said it can be done, but only once you are in Indonesia. The 30 day visa on arrivals are easy, so I guess I'm stuck with that...

Phil

I'll be heading to Indo 3 times in the next year and contacted the L.A. consulate about obtaining a visa for a year or "multiple entries". They said it can be done, but only once you are in Indonesia. The 30 day visa on arrivals are easy, so I guess I'm stuck with that...

Phil

Phil,

Couldn't you get the 60 day visa at least to start?

Thanks,

Scott

I guess I could try that, but the trips are 90 and 75 days apart, so I'm not sure if that would help.

Sponsors

Advertisements