Steve Williams

Lightroom 2.0 has some issues, Please help!

Sorry Andrew, I wasn't trying to tell you how to set up your puter. Hell...I'd be the last person in the world to do that as puter challenged as I am :) . I have the same issue basically, everything was being saved to C drive, which only has like 8gb available. One of the features that caught my eye with 2.0 was the supposed ability to work directly from my External drive. I changed a setting today regarding that. Now when I download from my Camera card, I download straight to my catalogue on my external drive. I don't see anything being cached or saved on my C drive. Is that what you mean?

Cheers,

Greg

Andrew, there are a few possibilities besides bug. It creates 1:1 previews if you either tell it to through the menu (create previews), or if you happen to have viewed lots of files in the develop module. It should delete them after 1 day, but if thats not happening, that would be a bug , another one, add it to the list of many.

Cor

Andrew, there are a few possibilities besides bug. It creates 1:1 previews if you either tell it to through the menu (create previews), or if you happen to have viewed lots of files in the develop module. It should delete them after 1 day, but if thats not happening, that would be a bug , another one, add it to the list of many.

D'oh!

Cor, you are correct. LR2 was only recreating the normal previews. I was seeing my disk space disappear and didn't wait long enough to see how much I actually lost. I left LR2 running for the day and the preview directory only grew to 500MB which is about what I would expect for no 1:1 previews.

The fact still remains that LR2 did initially create 1:1 previews without me telling it. I had not selected any menu options. I normally request 1:1 previews on import, but I have not imported anything into LR2, merely migrated the library from 1.4.1. I also had not viewed any images at 1:1.

The second issue is that I told it to discard the images which it appeared to do, but did not free up any disk space, even after I quit from LR2.

The third issue in all this (and this also applies to LR1) is that if you choose Library->Previews->Discard 1:1 Previews... it brings up a dialog box basically telling you that you have 1:1 previews on (just about) all your images, even if you don't, and if you say discard them, it goes through a process of discarding them, complete with progress indicator, even if they weren't there in the first place.

Sorry Andrew, I wasn't trying to tell you how to set up your puter. Hell...I'd be the last person in the world to do that as puter challenged as I am :) . I have the same issue basically, everything was being saved to C drive, which only has like 8gb available. One of the features that caught my eye with 2.0 was the supposed ability to work directly from my External drive. I changed a setting today regarding that. Now when I download from my Camera card, I download straight to my catalogue on my external drive. I don't see anything being cached or saved on my C drive. Is that what you mean?

Greg, on Windows the previews are stored on C: drive and there is no way to control that. The photographs in my library are actually on D: drive, but the library itself and the previews end up in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom

Greg, on Windows the previews are stored on C: drive and there is no way to control that. The photographs in my library are actually on D: drive, but the library itself and the previews end up in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom

Right Andrew, thats what I was seeing too. After reading this post I'm starting to think I screwed something up. Yesterday after reading your post, I deleted all files in the "My Pictures" portion of C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\, including the LR file. I just now took a few shots and loaded them in, they went straight to my External drive as set, and nothing went into that "Pictures" file. So... I guess my question would be, by deleting those files, have I lost that preview feature? They download to my library externally, and it SEEMS that nothing has changed with my viewing and ability to process. Please forgive my "Noobness" :)

Cheers,

Greg

Edited by sideways

Greg,

It sounds like you may have deleted your library as well as the preview file. Ignoring the LR2 files, my C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom directory has:

Lightroom Catalog.lrcat - which is the actual library/catalog

Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata - where the preview data goes.

For LR 2, they are:

Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat

Lightroom 2 Catalog Previews.lrdata

When you say you "loaded" your files? How are you transferring them from the card to the hard disk? Do you use LR for that or some other utility? Personally, I use Nikon Transfer and only import the photos into LR after they have been transferred.

Can you see your previous photographs in LR or only the most recent ones?

Greg,

It sounds like you may have deleted your library as well as the preview file. Ignoring the LR2 files, my C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom directory has:

Lightroom Catalog.lrcat - which is the actual library/catalog

Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata - where the preview data goes.

For LR 2, they are:

Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat

Lightroom 2 Catalog Previews.lrdata

When you say you "loaded" your files? How are you transferring them from the card to the hard disk? Do you use LR for that or some other utility? Personally, I use Nikon Transfer and only import the photos into LR after they have been transferred.

Can you see your previous photographs in LR or only the most recent ones?

As soon as I figured out the moving my catalogue to the external drive function, I did just that (3 days ago), Everything is still there, seemingly intact. I just went back in and looked, and everything is complete in my library/catalogue. I can pull up all images from my first to the ones I just downloaded 20 mins ago. Initially I was using my DX-1G software to capture files from my cards. Recently though I've been using LR.

I can't remember if there were 1 or 2 LR files there.... I deleted everything there except the default windows "Sample" pics file.

Edited by sideways

So how did you move the catalog to the external drive?

So how did you move the catalog to the external drive?

I'll have to look exactly...I don't want to lead you astray for sure. But I think it was just a case of exporting catalog to my external. Once everything was there, I deleted the C: drive images. Then I changed the setting for Importing, when the first Import box comes up. I changed the destination from the C:My pictures to my external catalog folder.

In LR..... edit...preferences...general then set default catalog to your external drive. Then like I said...just double check when importing new pics, making sure the destination is correct in the drilldown destination.

Edited by sideways

Catlog Settings only displays the location of the catalog. It doesn't let me change it.

Catlog Settings only displays the location of the catalog. It doesn't let me change it.

you did this (listed below)??? I didn't go into catalog settings

"In LR..... edit...preferences...general... then set default catalog to your external drive"

Did you get all your library/catalog sent to your external drive?

Edited by sideways

Ah... I never realised that field let you change the actual location - but that was because I never clicked on it.

Excellent! Thanks for that. Now I can get the libraries off my C: drive and save a couple more GB.

Ah... I never realised that field let you change the actual location - but that was because I never clicked on it.

Excellent! Thanks for that. Now I can get the libraries off my C: drive and save a couple more GB.

Great!!! whew....I thought maybe I screwed something up...LOL. Like I said...as of now...nothing is on my C drive :drink:

Like I said...as of now...nothing is on my C drive :drink:

Nothing? What about LR presets and templates?

Mine are all under: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom

Or does "Store presets with catalog" move them?

ATJ..just COPY your catalog to your external drive outside of LR, then open LR, then in the File menu say 'Open Catalog' and navigate to your external drive. For me, under XP and Vista, previews are being built inside the same directory as the catalog lives.

ATJ..just COPY your catalog to your external drive outside of LR, then open LR, then in the File menu say 'Open Catalog' and navigate to your external drive. For me, under XP and Vista, previews are being built inside the same directory as the catalog lives.

Already done and dusted. See above.

Nothing? What about LR presets and templates?

Mine are all under: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom

Or does "Store presets with catalog" move them?

I looked under my C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.... I dont see an application data file. So I'm not sure if it's with my LR prog files or where. I'm pretty sure I didn't delete them. I only deleted the files you listed before, that were in the "My Pictures" folder. What I meant to say was I don't see any of My images on C: drive now :drink:

Hey all,

Just a note for a possible improvement. Some folks on the Flickr and Adobe sites are finding better performance in LR 2.0 if they delete LR 1.4 from their machines. Some are seeing much better (faster) brush and gradient tool speed. I tried it and it looks like it loaded much faster. Don't ask me how or why that should work. :) The biggest speed improvement I've found so far is to turn off the Auto mask if your using the brush. That makes a huge difference on my machine. Too bad though, it's a cool tool.

Still :drink: until the upgrade.

Steve

Ok,

Well, I finally couldn't resist with so many photos awaiting me from Sulawesi. I was fearing lost keywording as others had reported. I just bought a new system (64bit Vista (I know, I know, but I'm a teacher and the stock business sucks at the moment), and so far, so good. I downloaded the new camera profiles, and the ones for the D200 can be scary (the reds are too blue, and vivid, well, is VIVID). I haven't figured out the adjustment brushes (I'm feeling VERY blond after trying to use them; I must actually read or watch something about it), but I haven't noticed ANY issues re: speed or crashing or slowness. Yeah!

So far, I like it. I like the changes for keywording, immensely. I sharpen in Photoshop, but the magnified view will be popular, for sure. All updated catologues have kept all metadata, contrary to other's experiences.

I hated Lightroom at first; I am now a convert.

I do wish it had better noise removal.

Cheers,

Marli

Marli,

If you are still looking for some tips, here is a video tutorial that describes the basics of how the adjustment brush work. In the right panel click on the "Scott K.-Adjustment Brush" link. Some other helpful links as well.

Hope this helps.

http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom2/

FWIW, the brush tool was so slow when I first downloaded 2.0 that it was almost unusable. As Steve pointed out above, when I deleted 1.4 the brush suddenly became a lot faster.

Edited by dmoss

Thanks for the link. The more I am using the program, the more I like it.

Cheers,

Marli

Adobe CS4 To Be Announced/Photoshop World

Adobe plans to officially announce their new CS4 on September 23, 2008.

So now we know why they pushed Lightroom 2.0 out the door before it was quite finished cooking. :)

Steve

Sponsors

Advertisements