Sign in to follow this  
matt215

Canon 5D set up

first the bad news. my canon 5d setup flooded on my last trip. chit.

the good news is that i had it insured w/ allstate, and i deposited my claim check today. so go allstate!!! woo hoo. it was a relatively painless process.

ok, what do i get next. i'll get another 5D, but what about the housing? the last housing was an ikelite, and i hesitate to get another. what's the advantages/disadvantages of sea and sea, subal, etc. any recommendations?

Edited by matt215

first the bad news. my canon 5d setup flooded on my last trip. chit.

the good news is that i had it insured w/ allstate, and i deposited my claim check today. so go allstate!!! woo hoo. it was a relatively painless process.

ok, what do i get next. i'll get another 5D, but what about the housing? the last housing was an ikelite, and i hesitate to get another. what's the advantages/disadvantages of sea and sea, subal, etc. any recommendations?

I have the same set up, a 5D with an Ikelite housing. I would be very interested in knowing what caused the flood? I have flooded mine once, but that was my own fault.

Best regards

Bent

Sorry to hear of your flood.

I think the next housing up in price may be the Aquatica or Sea and Sea. You'd need to get the housing, and a set of ports at the very least to get started.

Best regards,

James Wiseman

the good news is that i had it insured w/ allstate,
Is that a special policy or simply your homeowners insurance?

I have the same set up, a 5D with an Ikelite housing. I would be very interested in knowing what caused the flood? I have flooded mine once, but that was my own fault.

Best regards

Bent

I also have the same setup and fortunately have never had a flood. Are more expensive housings less likely to flood? I have not seen a head to head comparison of housings flood potential. Maybe the insurance companies have enough aggregate data from flood victims to help us find the housing least likely to flood.

Dennis

I also have the same setup and fortunately have never had a flood. Are more expensive housings less likely to flood? I have not seen a head to head comparison of housings flood potential. Maybe the insurance companies have enough aggregate data from flood victims to help us find the housing least likely to flood.

Dennis

No housing irrespective of manufacturer could have prevented my flood, it was the standard "Oh-my-God, I-have-to-be-ready-in-about-20-seconds-to-jump-in" , bang on with the housing back and a horribly twisted o-ring that let half of the Red Sea into my housing in seconds. Furthermore I handed my housing to my buddy, who already was in the water, and he never checked for bubbles, so the camera was unbelievably soaked when I got in. But, as I said, no housing manufacturer could have prevented that, and I probably never will do the same kind of megastupid stressed entry with a camera again. What worries me more is that one of the push pins on the back of my housing felt very weird on one of the dives on my last trip. When I came up, the pin was loose and could be pulled right through the back. It turned out that the circlips securing the pin broke, and the pin was kept in place by the water pressure. One of my friends with the same housing had exactly the same failure, but he was lucky to and did not experience a flood. That is a likely flood reason that no kind of personal care can prevent, which makes me really nervous at times. However, then again, I have no idea of the rate of circlips failures for more expensive housings.

Possibly having all the circlips replaced during any housing maintenance would help prevent circlip failure? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I asked that all mine were replaced during last housing maintenance.

Possibly having all the circlips replaced during any housing maintenance would help prevent circlip failure? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I asked that all mine were replaced during last housing maintenance.

That would probably help. However, my housing wasn´t really due for a maintenace overhaul at the time, so it would not have helped me. I would really like to have the option for titanium grade superunbreakable circlips instead of the standard ones :chatterbox: . Now I bring some extra circlips with me so that I do not have to stop shooting if it should happen again. I guess that a broken circlips probably will not lead to a flood when the water pressure still is on the housing, but it sure is scary to be down there with a loose push pin.

Bent C

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements