ATJ

A Novel Idea for Underwater Photographs

For some time I have been synchronising my dive watch with my camera so I can determine the depth at which the photographs were taken. This has worked well, but I have only partially automated the process and I still need to do a look up for each photograph. I have wanted to make it more automated but couldn't find a suitable place to stick the depth data. While looking at geotagging of photographs and GPS equipment, I realised that most GPS devices store altitude and that Exif supports altitude data. Of course, depth is essentially negative altitude so I am now tagging my photographs with the approximate latitude and longitude of the dive site along with the depth at which each photograph is taken.

Here's a write-up in my blog: Geotagging My Dive Photographs.

Interesting idea. I rarely need to know the depth of a photo, but if you do, this is pretty cool.

Sounds like a cool idea. Is it just a watch you synchronize with or is it maybe a dive computer?

Your ideas sound interesting.

I have been trying to syncro my checkbook with my internal dive desire and my vacation schedule. That way, when I want to go diving, I have the cash ready to go and have the time off work.

Not doing well enough so far to post good results.

Since I want to go diving essentially every day, success is fleeting.

If it gets better or I find a breakthrough, I will post it!

dave

Is it just a watch you synchronize with or is it maybe a dive computer?

I usually synchronise it with both my dive watch and my dive computer (as described in this link: http://andrewtrevor-jones.com/divedepth.html). I most often use the data from my dive watch which I attach to the camera rig.

I usually synchronise it with both my dive watch and my dive computer (as described in this link: http://andrewtrevor-jones.com/divedepth.html). I most often use the data from my dive watch which I attach to the camera rig.

Can a mod change my post above to move the ")" outside the URL tags? It is causing 404s.

By the way, why can't I edit old posts?

Edited by ATJ

Can a mod change my post above to move the ")" outside the URL tags? It is causing 404s.

By the way, why can't I edit old posts?

OK. Fixed. You're only allowed edits for a short time after the post. Can't change history :P

Thanks. :P

Sponsors

Advertisements