Sign in to follow this  
reefman

oceanic whitetip!!!

thought everyone might enjoy this photo of me snorkeling with oceanic whitetips(3) @ elphinstone reef in the red sea. the trip aboard the mv hurricane was terrific(simply the best itinerary). to say the whitetips we encountered were bold and curious is an understatement! the shark in the picture was kicked with my cressi's 3 times before he wandered off! 3 days later, while snorkeling with a pod of dolphins @ daedelus island, i again had to push another whitetip away with my fins!! this behavior was not encountered by any of our group while on scuba(yes, i was the only one foolish enough to return to the water and snorkel after my dive!!). we were told that many of the southern red sea liveaboards are now banning snorkeling due to the aggressive behavior of the oceanic whitetips(a female snorkeler was bitten a few weeks prior to our trip)!! many thanxs to stephen frink, our trip leader, and dennis liberson for the fantastic photo!!

http://stephenfrink.blogspot.com/2008/07/yum-yum-yellow.html

phil

key largo

Edited by reefman

nice pic...

I wonder if the color of your fins had anything to do with it? :)

nice pic...

I wonder if the color of your fins had anything to do with it? :huh:

Yes, they like yellow cuz it "taste like chicken" :)

Tastes like chicken...

Perfect line!

All you need is the BBQ sauce.

Nice pic.

I read somewhere that yellow tends to attract/instigate agressive behavior in sharks and black appears to have no stimulatory effect on them

super cool picture!

I'll be heading to the Red Sea and Elphinestone in 2009. Hopefully I will see similar pelagic action...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements