Sign in to follow this  
Scuba_SI

Logging Tapes

Before i embark on my tried and tested excel spreadsheet method, i am wondering if there is a simple way to produce a spreadsheet of the scene description on a tape.

i've already captured to FCP, is there a way i can add a description to each clip then export a file with the breakdown for the whole tape? Or a windows solution?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

RTFM!

Export a batch list with all the data... it is editable in excel.

Bali copies dont come with a manual :huh:

Plus i like to make you feel important and give you your daily power trip... :P

All we need now is a post from wags about Edius and the thread is complete. :)

When are you next out here?

Sigh... even Bali copies have the manual in the program under help.

How I wish people would RTFM and do research before asking questions. Not in this age of instantaneous gimme.

so they do...

But you could say that almost every question on here has an answer available in the manual on the net or somewhere - where do you draw the line. I did google it first and got confused so i posted here. I still haven't worked out how to do what you said. But i shall not post here to save myself hours of frustration, i shall waste lots of time and not ask for advice :S That's the sensible thing to do isn't it.

Awww :)

I don't mind helping people as you well know. Sometimes the same questions keep coming and coming like a broken record. And while I'd love to help everyone, I do have a life.. like right now... I'm going out!

Manuals are for pussy's ....

Just do it the real mans way with 'pen and paper' bro then its all there in beautiful unreadable hand writing (well mine was) or when you move house all your 40 tapes worth of paper gets lost so it takes 3 weeks to sort it back out !!!! FAN bloody TASTIC :):huh:

Manuals Sheesh !!!... Your be wearing a dress next.... :P

Dive safe

Dean(mans, man...Althought not in a 'fun in the showers' sort of way)B

Well that's why you have the up to date xl file backed up on an online server for retrieval whenever.

I'm not smacking Simon (well too much anyhow, since I expect 'better' from not so simple simon). The pressures of being my club buddy is enormous. :)

It's the mac terminology that still confuses me at times, plus the fact i've had f-all sleep in 3 weeks!

Off to Singapore to spend some money on a non tape camera now anyway :huh:

Club buddy? Ok mr driver :)

Manuals are not the be all and end all and often can be quite confusing to the newly initiated, especially when different terminologies are used for the same item or technique. Apple manuals tend to be especially screwed up which is why many of the supplemental books from Peachpit Press and training DVDs from Rippletraining and others are in such high demand. If this forum is designed to explore, assist and debate then saying RTFM creates an atmosphere of put downs and intimidation. That's just not right.

Scuba SC, when you log and capture in FCP, you can write in any descriptions you choose during the logging period. You can use labels for color coding as well. If you wish to add a description after all has been captured, just drag out the Browser window and you will see a comments column. Click there and write what you wish.

Your entire browser can, as Drew said, be exported for archive or printing or you can even just take a screen grab of it and print it out or store it.

As for manuals, I highly recommend the Lisa Brenneis book from Peachpit press,"Visual Quickpro Guide to FCP6" This is the finest FCP reference book out there. For a tutorial type of book, I recommend from the Apple Pro Training Series for FCP6 by Weynand. This later book is also what Apple bases their Pro certification exams on as well.

If I can also suggest you take a look at the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org websites which are FCP based editing sites with tons of tutorials, articles and reviews. The kenstone site, in particular has a healthy discussion forum. I try to help often on it, but when there something I am stuck on, I post and usually get an answer within an hour or two.

Good luck,

Steve

I find the FCP browser to be really annoying, especially when I want to batch rename media objects. I know that you can sync clip and file names in both directions, but I haven't found a way to do it on more than one clip at a time.

Or maybe I haven't had time to RTFM. :)

Eric, didn't you bitch about this months ago? I thought someone answered it? Anyhow, I don't want to intimidate and put you down... but even you should RTFM! :huh:

Edit: ok I answered your 'issue' in the other thread. But I reserve the right to put you down. :)

It's the mac terminology that still confuses me at times, plus the fact i've had f-all sleep in 3 weeks!

Off to Singapore to spend some money on a non tape camera now anyway :D

Club buddy? Ok mr driver :)

so a non-tape camera is betta?

I sucked all my logged HDV tapes onto single Terra Drives and just numbered or named them.

Underwater is in the underwater folder and land is in a land folder.

Then with my NLE opened I will just import the whole folder and can view them by clicking on their thumbnail and scrubbing the little icon window that appears.

Another way is I open the import window to see all the files, click on one and then can scrub through any in the little preview window that appears.

Does not take long to find what you are after.

post-4240-1222476197.jpg

i like your file naming system! :P

Ok Simon I'll be nice and tell you what I use. It's amazing how much nicer a person you become once you work in an orphanage. :P

I've used iDive for since 2004. It's compatible with FCS and works smoothly in XML format as well.

I switched to FootTrack because they went UB first but iDive is UB now too. Both are very decent cataloging programs. Neither of them are perfect.

I dont understand why you didnt just say that in the first place... I dont think ive seen a post about this before either - i think a lot of videographers would find it useful.

But thanks for posting it now!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements