Sign in to follow this  
Scuba_SI

Has anyone used a JVC HD7?

Hi all, i'm looking at a small backup video camera - the JVC GZ-HD7 (Drew -i've tried searching already. it looks very cool in the shops but i cant find much info on it on the net - is it because it's crap?

It's 3CCD and i'm trying to work out if MWB can be controlled in a housing.

If anyone has any input it would be appreciated, doesn't have to be a lot, buy it / don't will do :drink:

Hi all, i'm looking at a small backup video camera - the JVC GZ-HD7 (Drew -i've tried searching already. it looks very cool in the shops but i cant find much info on it on the net - is it because it's crap?

If anyone has any input it would be appreciated, doesn't have to be a lot, buy it / don't will do :drink:

It records in a non-standard mpeg2-TS (Transport Stream) format. It was expected that this would yield a resolution as high as or higher than HDV however a recent camcorderinfo.com review put it at the low end of HDV resolution.

Also as of this spring, there was little or no native capture support for the format from the major editing programs. I have read somewhere recently that Pinnacle Studio now supports it. I also read somewhere that you just change the file extension to work with most editors, not sure if I believe that.

Ikelite's housing does - http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/jvc_hd7.html
White Balance (Accessed by Function & Joystick Controls)
Edited by sjspeck

Yeah, i'd seen the negative reviews but was looking for some first hand experience from names i know and trust - you guys :drink:

There's Ikelite and Seatool for the camera, but it is so small and cute i might get one anyway :) Although i did just find an EX1 for under $6k... hmmm

From memory checking it out in feb:

Pros: 3CCD = No rolling shutter good color except for reds (as usual for 4:2:0), tapeless, cheap

Neutral: Motion artifacting just slightly better than HDV.

Cons: TOD format requires transcoding for NLE, low res CCD = mediocre resolution

Just saw this deal on HD5 - not sure difference between this one and HD7.

Use coupon code AFLJVC644 upon checkout (I saw this on bensbargains.net) - $644 with free shipping.

Link

If anyone has any input it would be appreciated, doesn't have to be a lot, buy it / don't will do :chatterbox:

Equinox is having an over-run sale on a housing for it if you're still thinking about it - $699:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/videograp...os-equinox.html

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements