Sign in to follow this  
echeng

My photos are on display at 50 Fremont St, San Francisco

echeng-50fremont.jpg

Some of my prints are on display (huge!) in the lobby of 50 Fremont, San Francisco.

The show is called Wetpixel: Marine Visions (no relation to the underwater photo gear store), and will be up from August 9 - October 14, 2008.

I don't have any proper images of the exhibit yet, but I hope to get in there to take some when I return from my next trip.

http://echeng.com/journal/2008/08/11/my-ph...-50-fremont-sf/

Perfect timing! I'm heading down there at the end of the month to visit some friends and do a little diving. I look forward to seeing these in person. What is 50 Fremont Center? A hotel?

Cheers,

Mike

50 Fremont Center is a big-ass office building. It's open 24 hours, so you can go hang out there anytime.

I went there on Sat night at around midnight with Michael Topolovac, Susan and Brad Brown, and Brad's sister. It's more fun at night -- pull up, park right in front of the building, walk in and chat with the security guards.

Hope it gets you lots of attention and folks buy some 'big-ass' prints.

Are these pics from those we've seen in WP quarterly etc or are they new?

It's a print! The lighting in that hallway makes it look like it's lit up from the back. Really bizarre.

You've seen some of them in WPQ. One of them is the cover of issue #2.

Actually, WPQ is getting a lot of interest in being a source for gallery prints. We will probably start offering to represent contributors for exhibitions (but not standard stock).

When I'm back in town in two weeks, I'll go there with a proper camera and take some photos.

Congrats Eric. I know that this has been asked before, but how did you sharpen or otherwise prep them for such large prints?

Congrats Eric. I know that this has been asked before, but how did you sharpen or otherwise prep them for such large prints?

Pictopia uses proprietary upres software in house that does a really good job. So I sharpen at native resolution, target at around 200ppi -- not as aggressive as I would sharpen for 300ppi, and let Pictopia do the rest.

I once tried doing stair interpolation and sharpening up to a large print size and compared it with a print at native resolution (sharpened) at Pictopia. I couldn't tell the difference, so I stopped interpolating myself.

Note that if I were using a company that didn't employ proprietary upres algorithms, I would absolutely do it myself.

I went over and checked it out...really beautiful images.

Mike

Very cool, Eric!

My girlfriend and I will be visiting San Francisco at the end of September, and will be staying close to there. We'll be sure to stop by and admire your work in person.

Cheers,

Mark

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements