echeng

Six Gill Sharks in Seattle

Great stuff there Eric.

Bored during the day? I guess its time to play tourist at Pikes market then... :chatterbox:

We're on a liveaboard, so there is no opportunity to go to Pike Place. :chatterbox:

drew -- Kyte sometimes is down. I think they're still having some growing pains as company...

New videos are up! Spiny dogfish and spotted ratfish (check the Kyte feed).

I'll embed the spiny dogfish one here.

By popular request, I've some ratfish (chimaeras) video online:

Another dogfish video -- this time, battling crabs!

Just uploaded a bunch of videos to the Kyte feed.

Just uploaded a bunch of videos to the Kyte feed.

Should they be available on the same Vimeo page as the others? All I see there are the ones from yesterday.

BTW, in the little slide show in the first post of this thread, it looks like you're using a cage of some sort. You aren't scared of a little six gill shark, are you?! :chatterbox::o

BTW, in the little slide show in the first post of this thread, it looks like you're using a cage of some sort. You aren't scared of a little six gill shark, are you?! :chatterbox::o

When a 12-footer tried to get into the cage? Yes.

post-6326-1218914637.jpg

The bulk of the videos are on the Kyte feed, which is on the front page and on the first message in this thread.

Bruce: obviously, we have to follow the rules of whatever operator we go with. Using a cage has nothing to do with "courage." It's a nice place to hang out down there -- we're on a slope, there can be current, and the visibility sucks. Given the right conditions (and reputation, really), we were allowed to leave the cage when we wanted to.

I can't get the kyte feed on OSX... only when I switch to Windoze!

Drew -- it may not work with Safari. I use a Mac, and it works with Firefox.

Drew -- it may not work with Safari. I use a Mac, and it works with Firefox.

It's worked fine every time you've posted - and I'm only on Safari.

Then Drew is just computer-inept. :chatterbox:

I suspect it's my firewall or snitch blocking something. But if VM Windoze works then it's gotta be local. But your ugly mug is not worth me spending hours trying to troubleshoot. :chatterbox:

Eric,

Thanks for posting those, very entertaining especially those crabs having a go at the dogfish!!

Any skates or rays turning up?

Regards

Nigel

But your ugly mug is not worth me spending hours trying to troubleshoot. :chatterbox:

I strive to provide interesting content to the community. Check.

Bryce gets Kyte to work on Safari / Mac OS X. Check.

Eric gets Kyte to work on Firefox / Mac OS X. Check.

Drew's technological ineptitude prevents him from seeing the Kyte feed. Check.

:o

this may sound like a dumb question, but are six gills dangerous? i've dove with lots of sharks, but don't know much about this species. my understanding is that they are deep water sharks that usually don't come to scuba depths except in a few locations. not much is know ... maybe they are a bad assed shark ready to kick some ass. they look like big lazy sharks to me ... but i really don't know.

this may sound like a dumb question, but are six gills dangerous? i've dove with lots of sharks, but don't know much about this species. my understanding is that they are deep water sharks that usually don't come to scuba depths except in a few locations. not much is know ... maybe they are a bad assed shark ready to kick some ass. they look like big lazy sharks to me ... but i really don't know.

I think any animal as large as a Six gill is potentially dangerous, but I wouldn't consider them particularly aggressive. I've dove with them a number of times off Hornby Island and have never felt threatened, but I wouldn't want to grab one by the tail to see how long I could hold on. I understand that there cousin, the seven gill, is reported to be considerably more cantankerous.

People bump into them frequently here in Seattle, and I have never heard of an incident.

Of course only about a dozen people world-wide are killed by any type of shark each year, so I think it is pretty safe to say that sharks are not much of threat.

As with most sharks, the sixgills present more of a thrill than a threat. The species is not known to attack humans, but their size (up to 15ft) and varied diet suggest that they should be treated with caution. Obviously, when you introduce bait into the equation – as was the case with our dives – the shark's behaviour shifts up a gear. In this case, the sharks became extremely bold and inquisitive; the larger individuals were completely unafraid of divers and tried to enter the cage. The Hydrus team has gone to extraordinary lengths to make this a safe encounter, but warns divers that in a few cases the cage has taken some punishment.

From my own experience, one of the most surprising physical aspects of this shark is its flexibility: its movement through the water is serpentine, and they have an ability to turn round 180 degrees in a speedy, fluid lunge. Tweaking their tails would be a really bad idea.

Interestingly, the related broadnose sevengill shark Notorhynchus cepedianus has been known to behave aggressively toward humans in unprovoked scenarios, and human remains have been found inside one specimen. As for the sixgills, they are iconic ambassadors for the deep water environment, and I consider it a rare privilege to have observed them in relatively shallow water.

SimonR

The commotion created by the divers and sharks did not go unnoticed - dungeness crab, shiner perch, ratfish, dogfish, and various flatfish all wanted a taste (literally!) of the action.

20080814_88W6003w.jpg

The crabs seemed greediest, tearing away at the bait to no end. And when not eating, they took the time to attack their reflection in the dome port :bananashark:.

20080815_88W6076w.jpg

Very nice report, Eric! ;)

Sponsors

Advertisements