Sign in to follow this  
Alex_Mustard

Sharks, dolphins and reflections

I posted this in the trip report from the Wetpixel July Expedition, but since nobody noticed it there, I thought I should post it in the right place too.

It was an amazing trip and everyone got tonnes of images that they were pleased with. You can see a gallery on mine here.

We had such calm weather that I really got into shooting reflections.

Bah08_25.jpg

Also, my pole-cam/bicycle brake worked really well, too.

Anyway, it was sharks and dolphins all day, every day. Great fun:

I really like this one of a dolphin hunting a flying fish at night. At full size you can really see the dolphin's eye trained on the fish.

Bah08_04.jpg

And I like this one, cause its kinda different, of a tiger:

Bah08_17.jpg

The Gallery is here, and for once, compared to most of what I have done this year, it is not password protected.

Alex

Very nice shots! I particularly like the shot with the dorsal view of the flying fish. Quick question... Does floating around in the gulf stream at night leave you feeling a little like a big piece of (big) fish bait?

Great series Alex; reflections are always pretty magical for me.

Those are all great shots. Thanks for posting here (I had missed them in the other forum.)

Alex,

one word: stunning.

R

wow!! excellece!!

thanks for sharing! :chatterbox:

Edited by JennyHuang

Sometimes you just have to sit quietly and wonder . . . .

Truly a Master at peace with his easel . . . .

Alex,

Those Lemon Sharks look awfully like 'our' Grey Nurse Sharks,

do you know if they are related?

I know that the Grey Nurse and Ragged Tooth and Sand Tigers are basically one in the same,

but those Lemons certainly run a close resemblence...

Bruce...

Edited by bruceterrill

There are certainly plenty of similarities in terms of appearance and behaviour.

Here is a grey nurse in Australia:

03.jpg

And here is a Lemon in the Bahamas:

25.jpg

The lemons have more rounded noses. Both tend to live in groups.

Alex

Alex

Lovely shots as always. I am curious as to how the first shot was taken. I assume that the black background is a mix of small aperature and fast shutter and that the fish is lit on a relatively high power. The question would then seems to be how is the reflection so bright as to be exposed with the aperature / shutter settings?

Excuse my ignorance.

Many thanks

Daniel

Lovely shots as always. I am curious as to how the first shot was taken. I assume that the black background is a mix of small aperature and fast shutter and that the fish is lit on a relatively high power. The question would then seems to be how is the reflection so bright as to be exposed with the aperature / shutter settings?

Actually, it was more to do with being taken at night under a glassy smooth surface. Here is a screen grab of the RAW file in Lightroom - so you can see how it looked before Photoshop:

F18 @ 1/200th. 60mm lens. Light from a single Subtronic Alpha.

post-713-1218796239.jpg

Alex

Just got a chance to see your recent shots. You have such a great eye. my favorite is the first dolphin/clouds shot, its got great eye contact

More beautiful shots Alex. Thanks for showing the before and after photo as well. I think the second shark image is excellent as well.

rinjani

Wow Alex, those are beautiful. I liked Daniel's question and appreciate your answer along with the settings. I'm new to all of this and the settings really help. Scott

Alex,

These are amazing. The first set have a very Howard Schatz-like feel to them, just trade in woman for marine life....beautiful (hope that is okay to say). I have to say too, that your lemon shark image with the sun rays is down right stunning. It has such beautiful lighting, I am especially fond of the rim lighting on his fins....:chatterbox:

Amanda

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements