nekton

Aquatica zoom ring for Tokina 11-16mm

With tadpoling on animal closeups getting quite frustrating with my Tokina 10-17 fisheye, I would really like to use my Tokina 11-16 lens when accuracy is more important.

Unfortunately, the Aquatica zoom for the Tokina 10-17 is too small. Jean did not say when Aquatica would have one available. I am thinking of just taking a Dremel to my 10-17 zoom ring to enlarge the inside.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm probably just displaying my ignorance, but would you be able to adapt the Ikelite ring? Just this morning I put my Ikelite housing together with the zoom ring/gear on the 11-16, and it works very well. The normal zoom kit worked fine with the smaller set of foam strips.

On a different note, I *just* got the 11-16, and am thinking I got a bad example. At 11mm the corners are not sharp except at the smallest apertures, even with a flat subject, and I don't think the linearity or CA look nearly as good as what Ken Rockwell displays in the review on his site... I read that sometimes the lenses don't have the calibration they should, and may send this back. It's a shame as it seems such a promising lens! And a nice complement to the 18-200 for land use.

Hi Nekton, We have no access to Tokina lens here, but I had a customer that had a custom gear made for the 12-24 Tokina, that gear ended up being the same size for the New Nikon 14-24 as well as the Nikon AF-S 60, from what I hear the 12-24 and 11-16 have similar body, so I guess the # 18722 gear would fit the Tokina 11-16mm. if someone outhere has access to both the Tokina 12-24 and the 11-16 It would be most kind to confirm this.

Viz art, has anyone tried a nikon d700 in one of your nikon d300 housings?

I can confirm that the aquatica gear for the nikon 12-24mm lens does indeed fit the tokina 11-16mm just barely. I had to add more of the orings back inside the gear to make it fit. The gear is quite long as the nikon's zoom ring is at the front of the lens but at the rear for the tokina.

This means you have to push the excess of the ring forward onto the edge of the Tokina's focus ring which will also be turned by the gear. However, because of the clutch mechanism on the Tokina, when in autofocus, the focus ring completely disengages meaning zooming will not alter focus.

I just had the lens in the water with my aquatica megadome + canon 500D diopter this weekend and was quite impressed, even though the corners were not perfect. I am reveiwing the pictures now and will post my results hopefully today. Cheers,

Chris

Sponsors

Advertisements