Hello everbody,

My rig is a ike housing for a Sony a-350 DSLR, Two DS 160 strobes and ULCS bouyancy 8" arms. I need your advice regarding a good handle solution between the 2 handles placed on the tray. I imagine some alu tube crossing top of the housing.

I'll be so happy for what ever your suggestions are.

:chatterbox: Hoyerland

Edited by hoyerland

Hello everbody,

My rig is a ike housing for a Sony a-350 DSLR, Two DS 160 strobes and ULCS bouyancy 8" arms. I need your advice regarding a good handle solution.

I'll be so happy for what ever your suggestions are.

:chatterbox: Hoyerland

I'm not sure exactly what problem you are trying to solve...but I'm going to guess attaching the arms to the Ike handles. Ultra light sells a ball mount that attaches to Ikelite handles using the quicjk release - BA-IK. Or you can remove the handle and mount a single ball directly to the tray. Or you can mount a ball head directly onto a regular Ike handle. Or you can mount ULCS handles onto the tray.

See http://www.ulcs.com/ for the solutions.

I use the quick release mount and a ball directly on the tray myself.

HTH

rinjani

Edited by rinjani

<br />I'm not sure exactly what problem you are trying to solve...but I'm going to guess attaching the arms to the Ike handles. Ultra light sells a ball mount that attaches to Ikelite handles using the quicjk release - BA-IK. Or you can remove the handle and mount a single ball directly to the tray. Or you can mount a ball head directly onto a regular Ike handle. Or you can mount ULCS handles onto the tray. <br /><br />See <a href="http://www.ulcs.com/" target="_blank">http://www.ulcs.com/</a> for the solutions.<br /><br />I use the quick release mount and a ball directly on the tray myself.<br /><br />HTH<br /><br />rinjani<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hello rinjani,

What I meant was a kind of handle on top of the housing for easier transport in and out of the water. I imagine a kind of alu handle placed on top of the housing or mounted on both trayhandles.

Thanks for helping.

Edited by hoyerland

<br /><br /><br />

Hello rinjani,

What I meant was a kind of handle on top of the housing for easier transport in and out of the water. I imagine a kind of alu handle placed on top of the housing or mounted on both trayhandles.

Thanks for helping.

Hi

I have seen a simple solution with a piece of thin rope put through a piece of garden hose and attached to the arms. Seems to work fine and is very simple.

Regards

Bent

Edited by Bent C

<br /><br /><br />

Hello rinjani,

Thanks for helping.

You can make a decent handle with a couple of clips, some nylon rope as used for boat/ship rigging, a length of clear plastic tubing and some rings attached to the hadles of your rig. The plastic protects your hand. The clips allow you easily remove the handle when you need to. Head down to your nearest chandlery (boat equipment supplier, not candles :bananashark: ) and hunt around for some corrosion resistant hardware.

Edited by rinjani

I use 2 ULCS triple clamps and a 12" ULCS strobe arm between the clamps. This works fine for me

Hi Hoyerland

If you search on wetpixel for 'handle' you will come up with a thread of handles that some have made for thier rigs, including pictures.

Mike

I braided marine cord, ran it through a piece of rubber hose and attached big brass clips to each end. On land, it is a handle .... underwater, I un-clip one end and clip it to a d-ring on my bcd.

At present, it is the only piece of underwater photographic equipment I own ... I sold my whole kit, but liked the handle so much I kept it ...

Edited by jeremypayne

Here's my decidedly low-tech version. I keep meaning to add some heat-shrink tubing to the middle of the rope for better (and more comfortable grip), or cut a piece of garden hose, but haven't bothered yet.

3887849633_3240c35800.jpg

Clips fit over the 'necks' of the balls, so in 'carry' mode' I put them up at the elbow joint between arms. In 'dive' mode I move one to the ball neck at the handle top (as shown) and the other end to my BC jacket D-ring.

Hi Hoyerland

If you search on wetpixel for 'handle' you will come up with a thread of handles that some have made for thier rigs, including pictures.

Mike

Can you please post some of these links?

wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24952

There are others, but this is the first I came across.

Mike

I made a handle from pressure PVC tubing. I have a T piece at each end and the strobe arms slide through the T's. I have an extra T along the "handle" to which I can attach a torch using Loc-Line.

HousingHandle.jpg

HousingHandle-2.jpg

Note that the orange pieces are short lengths of electrical conduit which I needed as spacers to make the fit tight.

I made a handle from pressure PVC tubing.

Nice idea, been trying to think of something simple to fix a CENTER focus light and think you've just hit the nail on the head. Well done.

Cheers,

Richard B.

Why, thank you.

I went with that for the following reasons:

* cheap and easy to make

* fits over existing gear so no need to modify what I already had

* takes seconds to mount it on the rig

* much easier to carry the housing to and from the dive site (I do mostly shore dives)

* keeps the housing level - important if any water has made it into the housing (a recent problem I've been having)

I use 2 ULCS triple clamps and a 12" ULCS strobe arm between the clamps. This works fine for me

Here are some pictures

post-2195-1252987508.jpg

post-2195-1252987771.jpg

post-2195-1252987782.jpg

Bill

Here are some pictures

ooh ooh ooh, nice rig ! and a 45 deg view finder.

Sorry I know :)

Cheers,

Richard B.

whats that acrylic guy you have on the bottom? is that just to make it sit level with an 8" dome or does it have some other fancy purpose?

Mike

FWIW this is my solution. 1" d-rings fitted to the ULCS clamps with a male fastex (right) and a female fastex (left). I fit a female fastex (right) and a male fastex (left) to d-rings on my BCD which allows me to hang the camera rig if required. Hope this helps, Tim

post-13968-1253207786.jpg

post-13968-1253207796.jpg

post-13968-1253207807.jpg

post-13968-1253207815.jpg

whats that acrylic guy you have on the bottom? is that just to make it sit level with an 8" dome or does it have some other fancy purpose?

Mike

Hi mike

Yes that is the only purpose. It makes the unit set level without the knobs. I thought it was a good idea but it is really a bit of a hassle as a extra piece that you have to keep track of.

Bill

FWIW this is my solution. 1" d-rings fitted to the ULCS clamps with a male fastex (right) and a female fastex (left). I fit a female fastex (right) and a male fastex (left) to d-rings on my BCD which allows me to hang the camera rig if required. Hope this helps, Tim

Nice double duty solution for that size of housing. For a bigger heavier your handle would put a inward pull (stress) on the top of the handles and could stress the connection at the bottom.

Bill

Nice double duty solution for that size of housing. For a bigger heavier your handle would put a inward pull (stress) on the top of the handles and could stress the connection at the bottom.

Bill

An interesting observation Bill which I must consider if I should ever upgrade to a larger Ikelite housing. Thanks. Tim

An interesting observation Bill which I must consider if I should ever upgrade to a larger Ikelite housing. Thanks. Tim

The only mentioned this because I just repaired a handle set like that. Not a fun job, the handle is pined in place and the pin couldn't be removed, it broke the tray so the only option was to drill a new pin hole lower and install a extra Stainless pin. I then had to epoxy the broken tray area for extra support. Bigger rigs or rigs that get harsh handeling need a solid cross brace / handle.

Bill

My rig is a ike housing for a Sony a-350 DSLR, Two DS 160 strobes and ULCS bouyancy 8" arms. I need your advice regarding a good handle solution between the 2 handles placed on the tray. I imagine some alu tube crossing top of the housing.

A friend of mine made an extra handle of an alu tube attached to the first part of the arms just above the housing handles on my Ike housing. The tube is hollow, with the ends welded shut, so it also adds a little bit of lift. A bolt is welded to the mid part of the tube to allow attachment of my focus light on a ball ended arm, so the light can be easily directed in the direction I want. The tube adds stability to the rig, but the best part is that with the tube attached, it is so easy to handle the rig even during quite rough shore entries. I´ll post a picture of the set up the next time I assemble it.

Regards Bent C

Edited by Bent C

Sponsors

Advertisements