bruceterrill

Nikkor 60mm Micro

Hi guys,

I have read conflicting reports regarding the new 'G' series 60mm Micro from Nikkor.

I have two specific questions if anyone, who has one, can answer for me???

1. Is the new lens an IF (internal focus) lens?

If this lens is not IF, what is its extended length?

2. Can the new lens be used successfully with generic teleconvertors?, ie... Kenko, Tamron, etc...

Thanks for taking the time guys,

Bruce...

1) It is indeed IF. I have it

2) Don't know about teleconvertors. Don't have or use one.... I believe they will work though.

Hi Bruce,

I am a canon user but usually the the reviews from Kenrockwell are very detailed and answer most questions :-)

have a look at Kenrockwell

best regards,

Matthias

Edited by MaLe

Thanks guys.

I checked the Australian Nikon web-site and it said nothing about IF in its description of the lens.

This is one of the conflicting concerns. . . .

Matthias, I regularly read Rockwell's reviews and I even checked for the 60mm micro. . . .

I must be getting old, or stupid... maybe both. hehehe.

Bruce... :bananashark:

Back again Folks. . . . :bananashark:

The "Paperwork" for close-up filters/diopters recommends using the Nikon 5T for lenses that are 70mm and beyond.

The same "Paperwork" suggests using the 6T for lenses 'below' the 70mm mark. . . .

Question 1. When the Nikkor 60mm 'Micro' is used on a digital camera with an APS-C sensor, it is widely accepted that

the 60mm has an equivalence of 70mm.

Therefore, do we use the 6T close-up for the 60mm lens, or do we use the 5T for the 70mm 'equivalence' lens?.?.?.?

The close-up filter is to be used for extra magnification purposes only. I realise that the 60mm 'micro' already has a very

short close focusing distance. . . . .

Thanks guys for taking the time once again. . . . .

Bruce...

I have both the old and new 60´s and the new one does not work with 1.4 or 2.0 sigma or kenko converters. It is IF.

David:

I have thr old style Nikor 60mm which I use almost exclusively behind a dome port for underwater macro. Are there three good reasons why I should upgrade to the new 60mm?

Regards;

Vettediver

David:

I have thr old style Nikor 60mm which I use almost exclusively behind a dome port for underwater macro. Are there three good reasons why I should upgrade to the new 60mm?

Regards;

Vettediver

I do not think there are three good reasons :bananashark: . I always find difficult (and never do it) to shoot such a short lens behind a dome port for macro (having to get very close and scratching the dome are the main reasons). The focusing on the new one is faster and it does not grow when focusing but the image quality is more or less the same (very good on both) and you cannot use teleconverters on the new one :lol: . I would look for other areas to upgrading first (other lenses, ports, strobes etc...)

I just tried the new 60 and it does not work with the Kenko 1.4x converter. It mates fine but AF doesn't work properly.

I just tried the new 60 and it does not work with the Kenko 1.4x converter. It mates fine but AF doesn't work properly.

Hi Craig,

I was hoping that you would 'drop by'. . . .

How do you rate the new lens, compared to your older 'faithful' unit?

Would you consider using a close-up filter on the newer lens trying to increase magnification,

seeing that the T/C's are not compatible?

Respect/regards,

Bruce...

I'm not the one to ask on the 60. I don't generally use it (or the 105) because I use the 70-180. I have one for land and for testing. The new 60 offers full time manual focus override but I expect most will use it primarily with AF. It's an internal focus design unlike it's predecessor.

Working distance is already short so a diopter won't help as much as you might like. Personally, I think you're better off switching to the 105 than adding a 1.4x to the 60. I hate the idea of softening your images with a teleconverter except for times when you really need it. A teleconverter is good to have but I don't think it should be "plan A".

Bruce;

I have the old 60mm and use a Woody with it as a diopter. It does soften the shots, but I find shooting at around f/14-18 ok. More than that it gets too soft, less than that there's no DOF.

It's a cheap man's sort-of 105, but I find it gives me a very adaptable setup from fish portrait to macro to super macro.

Jack

I confirm having set up the AF-S 60mm with the Tamron/Kenko 2x converter and it is impossible to have a working auto focus. while on the subject the 105mm VR and the Nikon TC-20E work perfectly and no you cannot mount the TC20E on the AF-S 60mm.

Anyone tried a Nikon AF-S TC (TC14,17,or 20 II)? The beef for a while has been no current Nikon AF (only AF-S) TC's (that, and lack of achromatic diopters).

Hi Dave, I tried the 60 AF-S with the TC 20E and it cannot mount due to the TC20E design (rear of receiving lens must be recessed) I presume the same for the other Nikon converter, the 105 VR is OK since it has that recessed in the back

Hi Guys,

My origional thoughts behind the 60mm micro, the teleconverter and the close-up(internal diopter)lens combination was to try and get this combination to operate like the 105mm micro, but in a nicer, more user friendly, manner.

My biggest 'gripes' with the 105mm micro are its propensity to 'hunt' when it can't lock auto focus, and its darkness through the viewfinder.

With the 60mm micro, its auto focus is fast and accurate, and the viewfinder is nice and bright.

I was also hoping that the 60mm micro combination might offer a little extra DOF, although this is only a pipedream and not based on any calculations...

The 105mm micro is a magnificent piece of glass, I just wish that it wasn't so tempremental...I need to give it a name?

Does anyone have a good name for this "miss-behaving piece of sh#t" ???

Bruce...

Can anyone tell me how to use the color wording options at the top of the page? I used it but the colored links came up as well, and when I deleted the links, I lost the color? ;)

Edited by bruceterrill

Bruce,

Wouldn't adding a teleconverter to the 60mm make it even darker than the 105mm? Both lenses are f/2.8 and even a 1.4TC will make the 60mm into an f/4.

Anyone has try 60mm + Kenko´s TC after upgrading the firmware on a D300?

I did: no problem!

Hola compadre, I tried the brand new out of the box just arrived yesterday kind of D300 from my local dealer and with the Kenko & AF-S 60mm its was "una chinga" no way jose!. I dunno if it was the latest firmware, but I presume it to be, Claude you say it work????, OK now i'm confused, (what else is new), was it the new AF-S version (no aperture ring) or the older AF (with the aperture ring).

BTW Felix you have to stop trying to roll your SUV on its roof, you'll end up scratching the paint one day ;) as I recall, the manufacture recommend keeping all four of wheels on the ground.

Edited by Viz'art

Claude you say it work????

ooopss... sorry... confused: I'm speaking about the AFD!

Hola compadre, I tried the brand new out of the box just arrived yesterday kind of D300 from my local dealer and with the Kenko & AF-S 60mm its was "una chinga" no way jose!. I dunno if it was the latest firmware, but I presume it to be, Claude you say it work????, OK now i'm confused, (what else is new), was it the new AF-S version (no aperture ring) or the older AF (with the aperture ring).

Hey my dear friend, I ask this because when I tried mine on the D300 I got a blinking battery as if were dead. The new firmware supposed to fix this "battery blinking" issue, but I had been to lazy to upgrade the firmware, and if this won`t fix the 60mm + Kenko issue, i see no point on upgrading the firmware. I guess is the lens not the camera.

BTW Felix you have to stop trying to roll your SUV on its roof, you'll end up scratching the paint one day ;) as I recall, the manufacture recommend keeping all four of wheels on the ground.

He, he, he... it doesn`t came with a "this side up" arrow, so...

Now talking seriously, this road trip was amazing, it was to some river caves (no diving) a few hours down from where we dive in "Morrocoy", I`ll tell you all about it later to stay on topic here...

Hugs to Beatriz.

Sponsors

Advertisements