Sign in to follow this  
divadiver

Opinions Pleeez: Is investing in a Z1U + Housing Now going backwards in terms of technology?

Aloha-

I am SO ready to upgrade from the Sony HC1, no laughing!

I have a decent budget to work with and am partial to L&M. Want a new camera and housing.

The EX1 is pricey and don't like the Sony SXS Cards option. Is it too late or would it be going backwards to invest in the Z1U?

-will use lights

-travel alot

-starting to make docu's

-would like to reach broadcast one day but cannot say I do it today

Should I wait for new camera line-up in the Spring?

Thanks.

Get the best camera you can now - if you wait for the next best thing to come out you will be always waiting.

I think you will find that the Z1 camera and in turn the vision acquired with it will be used at all levels for years to come.

Many of the folk on this board do very well from the vision that they get with this unit.

Here is a copy of the typical communication that comes from "broadcast" types that are only to happy to use HDV footage.

FYI they opted to purchase some of my stock footage and just shoot the topside themselves.

Hello Peter,

I am the cameraman of the German TV crew that is going to be

filming in Queensland this coming september.

...................................... agency in Munich asked

me to get in touch with you. Since we do not have any own

underwater equipment, we might have to rent one. However, our

camera being DigitalBetacam and thus probably way too big, might

force us to use a smaller format for those shots, most likely HDV.

That camera would need to be rented as well.

Another option would be to purchase footage already filmed -

probably 1-2 minutes.

and then about 10 days later.

Sorry for my late reply. HDV is fine with us (will be down converted to

DigitalBetacam). Since we will be filming with ..........................., we will

most likely need footage of the kind what "normal tourists" would normally

see as well.

Raw footage (no edits) of some 2 minutes maybe.

We will be filming on board most of the time, not under water. That is why taking along

under-water equipment from Europe will not be worth the costs.

I agree with the above.....the old FX1-Z1 for underwater is fine. Just falls behind for up top shooting.

We shot lots of good footage of Whale Sharks this year with the little HC1 and even sold footage to the federal government from it for their projects.

I know this guy is selling his setup.

http://www.abyssimages.com/ he just sent me an email asking if I wanted it but I'm sure you will find some good second hand setups around the place.

Hey Peter are you back home.

You could consider a V1 over a Z1 because it can shoot progressive whereas the Z1 only shoots interlaced. It's also more compact and so better for travelling. But there is no L&M housing for it so you would have to go with Gates or Amphibico etc.. However the Z1 is still a standard as a "2nd unit" camera and very well recognised in the industry.

Diva

You say you will travel a lot so I'll assume it's international travel. The Z1 + housing is a pretty big rig. Even the smallest of housings, camera and basic lens would be around 15+kg/35+lbs. Add big lenses and lights and you're looking at 25+kg/55+lbs of luggage and that's without the case.

As Nick says, the significantly higher resolution p-scan from the V1 vs the 3/4 stop advantage of the Z1. The image is close but different between the 2. Z1 has the slightly wider lens but the V1 is a smaller camera. In the smallest housing with big lens, it's under 10kg even.

Many broadcasters choose the Z1 still due to the rolling shutter effect that afflicts the V1. However, unless you shoot many divers with strobes underwater or special rapid camera movements, that's not a real concern. Both are used in broadcast TV regularly.

Also, there's always something new sometime. If you need something now, buy what is available. 2nd Z1 housings are probably available now too with everyone shifting to the EX1 etc

Or there is the Canon XH series, smaller than the Z1, no rolling shutter... great image!

If you are looking for a great deal on a Z1 check out Mark Thorpe's (aka Cam Diver)kit for sale. It was still for sale a month or so ago.

I'd give the thumbs up on the V1 as well. Gates housing, monitor and any port apart from the fathom in a peli case comes in at under 23kg which is very helpful when traveling. I've had footage from it broadcast and have a broadcast project in planning and there appear to be no problems with shooting in HDV for that particular project. I'm currently shooting with it as the main camera in very challenging conditions and it is performing really well. Side by side it is comparable to the Z1, better at some things worse at others. Main disadvantage is this rolling shutter effect that doesn't only show up with strobes but also with fast action and camera movement when a 'jelly' effect can sometimes be seen in the images on screen. Bottom line is that it is a huge upgrade from the HC1 that you are currently using. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Simon

Thanks Everyone!

I'd give the thumbs up on the V1 as well. Gates housing, monitor and any port apart from the fathom in a peli case comes in at under 23kg which is very helpful when traveling. I've had footage from it broadcast and have a broadcast project in planning and there appear to be no problems with shooting in HDV for that particular project. I'm currently shooting with it as the main camera in very challenging conditions and it is performing really well. Side by side it is comparable to the Z1, better at some things worse at others. Main disadvantage is this rolling shutter effect that doesn't only show up with strobes but also with fast action and camera movement when a 'jelly' effect can sometimes be seen in the images on screen. Bottom line is that it is a huge upgrade from the HC1 that you are currently using. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Simon

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements