Sign in to follow this  
Damo

Red Sea Images

Hi folks

Some of my red sea images etc.

see

http://www.flickr.com/photos/damoyyz/

any constructive comments welcome- especially you jaw daddy

hope all well in everyone's little water world- especially you jaw daddy.

damo

Very nice images, Damo.

Hi Damo,

Looks like you had a great time and were able to get a real nice cross section of images. Your fish shots show a lot of potential, I love some of the compositions. I also like the wide angle softcoral shot. Did you shoot these in RAW? If you did you might think about trying to open up the exposure a little, some of the shots look a little dark on my screen. I love the shot with the midas blenny on the red sponge. You can see on this shot how using your one strobe up close gives a nice exposure. The other global comment I would make is the one you said yourself on the pipefish shot. I keep telling myself the same thing after every dive. ;)

As an aside, I'm a little embarassed by your request for me specifically to respond. While I am honored that you respect my opinion, there are at least 5,000 folks cruising Wetpixel with a better eye than mine and much more experience with digital. You should think about posting some of your favorites in some of the Flickr groups. There are a bunch of underwater groups where other folks get a chance to look and comment. Wetpixel has a group for instance. It is a real kick to "meet" people from all over the world who like your stuff. Highly recommend you give it a try.

I'm glad you had a successful trip and thanks for sharing your images with everyone.

Steve (Jaw's Dad on Flickr)

I agree with Steve: i have my monitor profiled, and a lot of shots look a bit dark. I added some comments here and there, but this comment was more generic. I didnt like the 2 puffer shots, I explained why in one comment.

I would be keen to pick up some info about diving in Ireland too :-) I've been to Schotland a few times but Ireland is still on the wish list.....

Hi Guys,

A heartfelt thank you so much for all your critiques- you are most kind and this is the reason I love these forums so much- and wetpixel.com

Any comments I receive from u are nothing but constructive-

So Thank you all so much ;)

To specifics re: shots

1.They are in jpeg- my olympus wont shoot RAW- big disadvantage I know.

2.Interesting note about the darkness of the shots- I made small size jpeg copies of the original images for Flickr using IrFanview. Could this be the reason?. Otherwise, maybe I need to get a manual monitor calibrator?

3. Re: the puffer shot-your assumption is correct and you are totally right to point that out-the animal was harassed.

What actually happened was the puffer had actually been previously attacked by a grouper and spat out- so it was inflated and stressed by the time we got up close to it.

The guide got a fleeting pic. of this strike too- he was on point so he had full view of the strike as it happened.

Ceranthius, your comments are totally justified and I admire you for pointing them out. The animal was not harassed by the guide or anyone else at the time of shooting.

Be rest assured I would never deliberatly harm/provoke a marine animal for the sake of a shot- I find that behaviour disgusting and against the spirit of what underwaterphotography is all about.

In this case- well- I guess I couldn't resist taking the shots- I took about three and left it at that. Nature did the harassing for me but in hindsight maybe we should've left him alone period- after all, he had suffered a trauma.

Hope this helps.

If the originals seem brighter, that might be the case.

Damo, I didnt want to drag you into a discussion or point any fingers. In this PC (or no PC) world, it is easy to forget that things like this can happen spontaneously.

Gerard

Damo,

One of the "swarm" here. You've captured a nice set of pictures - it makes me wish I'd taken my camera too! I really like the midas blenny shot - great colurs. Good to see that you captured the big eyes in the black coral and the elusive citron goby.

Save diving,

Richard

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements