os65

Some Finnish lake pictures

Hi,

After following Wetpixel for a long time and based on the excellent information there I finally changed from a Nikonos V to a DSLR.

Following are my first pictures taken with a Nikon D300 / S&S MDX300 / 1xInon z240 combination. The first three ones have been taken with a Sigma 17-70 HSM and the rest with a Tokina 10-17 lens.

2797138990_00655f49e0.jpg

2796291445_030a1a31b7.jpg

2796293001_2611fab18b.jpg

2796295145_a4d4bafaaf.jpg

2796295757_6999dcbd2b.jpg

2804822391_a1ba17dcc2.jpg

Second one is nice - slightly 'warmer' tone - warmer than the water was I imagine.

Favourite is the fifth - very atmospheric with the green water.

So, as a late convert to DSLR how was the experience compared to film?

Have to admit myself I have never shot film in the water only digital, and given the number of junk / out-take shots I seem to produce I can't imagine being limited to a roll of 36!

Paul C

Edited by PRC

Second one is nice - slightly 'warmer' tone - warmer than the water was I imagine.

Favourite is the fifth - very atmospheric with the green water.

So, as a late convert to DSLR how was the experience compared to film?

Have to admit myself I have never shot film in the water only digital, and given the number of junk / out-take shots I seem to produce I can't imagine being limited to a roll of 36!

Paul C

No return to film. It was so nice to see the results immediately. However, what suprised me most was the difficulty to compose through the viewfinder of the housing - somehow I had expected it to be larger and brighter, at least similar to that of NikV. The aiming/dive light in the Inon strobe was very useful but the tiny knobs were a pain to operate with drysuit gloves. Anyway, as I get more accustomed on handling the set I'm sure I'll be very happy with it (and hopefully be able to compose better when the subject appears suddenly like in the case of the last pike picture).

Nice,

Whereabouts in our beautiful land do you operate? Maybe we could set up some joint diving one of these days...

timo

Hey Timo - er - you can eat the subject of those first two cant you ?;)

The Pike I think I will leave alone (sorry Dean - just don't fancy it mate).

Paul C

Hey Timo - er - you can eat the subject of those first two cant you ?;)

The Pike I think I will leave alone (sorry Dean - just don't fancy it mate).

Paul C

Yes indeed Paul,

The crayfish are a real delicacy apparently although personally I don't touch them. Pike, on the other hand, is very good.

timo

Love those two pike shots, I'm surprised you got so close to them!

Richard.

Thanks, the pics were taken after sunset when they are more sleepy. Next day in broad daylight I was not able to get half as close as during the night without them turning the tail to me. They seem to be quite territorial fish that can often be found in the same area.

Timo, I live close to Turku although above pics were taken in Lakes Nummijärvi and Melkutin. A joint diving would be fine time permitting if we dive in the same areas.

/Oskari

Tervetuloa Oskari! Maybe we can establish a "Wetpixel Finland" chapter!

you can eat the subject of those first two cant you ?;)

You can - but only at a certain time in the fall and only if you wear a red hat an bib, inake copious amounts of vodka snaps and sing silly songs. I kid you not!

a red hat and bib, inake copious amounts of vodka snaps and sing silly songs.

Speaking of which,

If Mr. Carre would finally drag himself and his new glass ports to Finland next fall, we could try some of that...

timo

Edited by timoma

Sponsors

Advertisements