Sign in to follow this  
Jim Breakell

D80 in a Sea & Sea D70 housing - will it fit?

As the title says, will it fit? Or do I need yet ANOTHER housing? a030.gif

Ta in advance...

The D80 will fit in the Nexus D70 housing from what I have seen. Don't know about the Sea and Sea.

Cheers

James

I thought there was a conversion kit needed to put the D80 into the D70 housing?

But, if a D80 fits into the D70 housing, will the D90? Hmmmm.....

Well, I emailed Sea & Sea and they tell me that the D80 won't fit in the D70 housing, which is a bit of a bu66er a050.gif

Looks like I am stuck with the D70 until I win the lottery and can change housings

Edited by Jim Breakell

Well, I emailed Sea & Sea and they tell me that the D80 won't fit in the D70 housing, which is a bit of a bu66er a050.gif

Looks like I am stuck with the D70 until I win the lottery and can change housings

you can always compare the picture from dpreview in Gimp

There you see, that it will be hard to get a d80 in a d70 housing, because d70 is bigger than d80

Alternatively, you could sell your supercar, Jimbo. ;)

The D80 will fit in the Nexus D70 housing from what I have seen. Don't know about the Sea and Sea.

Cheers

James

As James says,

The D80 will certainly fit into the Nexus housing, the only difference is slight buttoning difference on the back-plate.

Nexus advertises the change-over back-plate in its listings. I am sure however, that you can just bend a couple of the arms and eveything lines up...

If you do a search, you will find one of the Wetpixel boys, Sam (schae I think) takes great pleasure out of fitting new cameras into older housings...

HTH,

Bruce...

Alternatively, you could sell your supercar, Jimbo. ;)

e035.gif

As James says,

The D80 will certainly fit into the Nexus housing, the only difference is slight buttoning difference on the back-plate.

Nexus advertises the change-over back-plate in its listings. I am sure however, that you can just bend a couple of the arms and eveything lines up...

If you do a search, you will find one of the Wetpixel boys, Sam (schae I think) takes great pleasure out of fitting new cameras into older housings...

HTH,

Bruce...

Yes, but I don't have a Nexus housing....

As James says,

HTH,

Bruce...

Yo Bruce,

I have searched several US Nexus sites for the D90 back without any success. Please supply a link to this back.

Regards,

Bob

As the title says, will it fit? Or do I need yet ANOTHER housing? a030.gif

Ta in advance...

Theres fit and fit isnt there

I have been using a d80 in a sea and sea d100 housing

The d80 is smaller than the D100 but I think (and this may be bad news) bigger than the D70

I had to make a new base thicker plate and lost most of the controls and do a bit of vandalism to the controls that were fouling

dont give up without trying

S

Theres fit and fit isnt there

I have been using a d80 in a sea and sea d100 housing

The d80 is smaller than the D100 but I think (and this may be bad news) bigger than the D70

I had to make a new base thicker plate and lost most of the controls and do a bit of vandalism to the controls that were fouling

dont give up without trying

S

The D80 is a lot smaller than the D70. I use the D80 in a Ike D70 housing, which works fine.

I made a fillingplate to compensate the smaller hight of the D80 and I modified (or vandalismed) the controls a bit.

You cannot use the controls on the left side of the screen, but the following controls are in line:

- shutter

- power

- aperture

- flashcontrol

- focusselector

The following controls I miss a bit underwater:

- ISO

- playback

In a Ike housing it should be easy to ad extra pushbuttons for these controls, but still haven't found a place or shop where I can get these.

Unfortunately the lens is not 100% centered in the dome, but for so far I didn't encounter any problems or distortions with the 8"dome and a flat port. It might be a problem with zoomgears, but I only use primes underwater.

Just have fun vandalismize your housing too!!

I thought there was a conversion kit needed to put the D80 into the D70 housing?

But, if a D80 fits into the D70 housing, will the D90? Hmmmm.....

Yes the D90 and the D80 are the same camera bodies. Most controls are in the same place.

I'm looking into fitting a D80/90 into my Sea&Sea housing for my D70.

There may be a loss of some of the back plane controls but I only use them occasionally.

D70 - 140 x 111 x 78 mm (5.5 x 4.4 x 3.1 in)

D80 - 132 x 103 x 77 mm (5.2 x 4.1 x 3 in)

D90 - 132 x 103 x 77 mm (5.2 x 4.1 x 3 in)

These are extreme measurements eg the width includes the strap lugs!

Edited by jknights

The D80 is a lot smaller than the D70. I use the D80 in a Ike D70 housing, which works fine.

I made a fillingplate to compensate the smaller hight of the D80 and I modified (or vandalismed) the controls a bit.

You cannot use the controls on the left side of the screen, but the following controls are in line:

- shutter

- power

- aperture

- flashcontrol

- focusselector

The following controls I miss a bit underwater:

- ISO

- playback

In a Ike housing it should be easy to ad extra pushbuttons for these controls, but still haven't found a place or shop where I can get these.

Unfortunately the lens is not 100% centered in the dome, but for so far I didn't encounter any problems or distortions with the 8"dome and a flat port. It might be a problem with zoomgears, but I only use primes underwater.

Just have fun vandalismize your housing too!!

Please could you post a picture of your filling plate.

Thanks.

BTW CameraUnderwater in UK will be able to get you Ike push control parts for the housing.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements