Sign in to follow this  
spaceman_spiff

Connecting Twin YS-250s to a Sea&Sea MDX-D300 housing in manual mode?

Hi Everyone,

I just got my two YS-250 Sea&Sea strobes delivered today. I was wondering if anyone has them connected manually to the Sea&Sea MDX-D300 housing and can help me figure this out.

I have a non TTL setup, so I have 2 strobes, 2 sync cables and connected to a bulkhead on the housing each. The online dealer where I bought the setup assured me this was going to work.

What I'm experiencing is that the strobe on the non-TTL port on the Sea&Sea housing fires, the one on the red TTL port doesn't. I have already swapped them over and both strobes are definitely working independently on the black non-TTL port. I had previously asked the dealer if I need a Y cable to connect to the non TTL port and the answer was no. I was assured I should be able to connect both strobes on a port each and make them work together. What happens now is the following:

1) One strobe on black non-TTL bulkhead is working (doesn't matter which one).

2) No strobe will fire as soon as both are connected and turned on. The camera's flash symbol is blinking indicating it doesn't like the flash setup.

3) If I only connect one strobe to the red TTL bulkhead it doesn't fire when set to manual or TTL mode (unsurprisingly for TTL, I don't have the converter).

Anyone got any ideas or have the same setup?

Both strobes are set to manual, I just need them to fire and happy to manually adjust.

Thanks,

Simon

Edited by spaceman_spiff

Hi Simon,

die difference between the two flash ports is, that the non-ttl port connect only three pins and the ttl port all of the five.

You can try to tape the two pins on the hot-shoe of the camera. So only three pins will be connected to the camera.

rachid

Hi Simon,

die difference between the two flash ports is, that the non-ttl port connect only three pins and the ttl port all of the five.

You can try to tape the two pins on the hot-shoe of the camera. So only three pins will be connected to the camera.

rachid

Hi Rachid,

I just checked the hot shoe, which has 4 pins, (and two clamps which are prob. #5). Any idea which ones I need to tape? The pins look like this:

o

O

o o

Thanks

S.

Hi Rachid,

I just checked the hot shoe, which has 4 pins, (and two clamps which are prob. #5). Any idea which ones I need to tape? The pins look like this:

o

O

o o

Thanks

S.

i have to check it today on my housing.

i have to check it today on my housing.

Mate,

no worries this worked like a charm! I just tried it and taped off the bottom 2x, which allows for "M" to be dialed on both strobes. I now have dual flash. Awesome!

If you are ever in Sydney - I owe you a beer!

Cheers,

Simon

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements