RBernardo

Lense for "all terrain"

Hello

i have a Nikon D80, and i am looking for a lense for "almost everything"

what is the best lens?

16-85mm or the new one 18-105mm

thank you

Hi,

I have (and love) a Sigma 17-70 Macro, it's not that wide or that Close Up.

I use this as a "scouting" lens with my wide angle and macro in a case on the boat for second / third dives depending on what I find in the first dive.

You'll also need to check which of the lenes you've highlighted can be ported for your system (not sure for a 18-105 ?).

Cheers,

Richard B.

Love Sigma 17-70. Perfect lense for that :lol:

Love Sigma 17-70. Perfect lense for that :uwphotog:

Hi guys what sort of macro do you get out of the Sigma underwater? 1:2, 1:3 or 1:1?

I think you can get down pretty close to the rated maximum magnification of 1:2.3. It will certainly focus down onto the dome port. Here's a shot of my thumb pressed up against the dome port of my rig:

Thumb2.jpg

That's about 47mm of thumb showing and the corner to corner dimension of my sensor is about 27mm. Scaling off my screen and doing some rough arithmetic shows the magnification is around 1:2.3

Don't bother with any "I need a manicure" jokes, I've posted this picture before and heard them all. :uwphotog:

Edited by Gudge

Hey Gudge, I'm just glad it was only your thumb. :uwphotog:

Steve

Hey Gudge, I'm just glad it was only your thumb. :uwphotog:
I don't know how to respond to that. I'm swinging between "there isn't a macro lens with enough magfication" and "my 10-17 at 10mm isn't wide enough". :)

Thanks Gudge - It seems to capture detail well but I really need one to one as I have a macro/muck dive weakness.

Never close enough dont give a toss about wide enough.

regards

Ardy

Do you find you need a diopter with the sigma 17-70 when in a dome port?

The Ike tables say it's not required but some like it - was wondering how it works out in "real" life.

I'm using the 17-70 in a Subal housing and they recommend using a dioptre so I use one. One of my dive buddies has exactly the same rig as mine and does not use a dioptre. The 17-70 will focus right down to the surface of the port with and without a dioptre. I think that the corner sharpness at the 17mm end is a little better when a dioptre is used.

Hey Gudge,

Which dioptre are you using?

I use a +2 with my 8" dome as recommended by Subal.

Do you find you need a diopter with the sigma 17-70 when in a dome port?

The Ike tables say it's not required but some like it - was wondering how it works out in "real" life.

Don't use any Diopter and never noticed any significant issues, however, I use the 8" Dome and the long extension piece.

Hi,

Just to echo the others-I have a Sigma 17-70 and find it the most versatile lens I have (except my Tokina 10-17-but that's an addiction problem!)

I use it in a Subal housing with 8" dome and the 33mm extension ring. I don't use a diopter, but after this thread I'm going to re-examine my corners!

All the best

Adam

I use it in a Subal housing with 8" dome and the 33mm extension ring. I don't use a diopter, but after this thread I'm going to re-examine my corners!
Just be careful when using this combination (same as mine but with a Canon 40D) as it may hit the port when you zoom in to 70mm. I can't quite zoom to 70mm before the dioptre (a Marumi approx 6mm thick) touches the dome with my rig. I'd recommend getting a slimline dioptre if possible to avoid this problem if it occurs with your Nikon. Edited by Gudge

I have been dry docked for a while, so I can not add any "in vita" information. I am considering the Sigma 18 - 50 mm f/2.8 macro lens for a general snooping. Compared to the 17 - 70 it is 1:3 vs. 1:2.3, f/2.8 vs. f/2.8-4.5, + ~ 3 mm longer, and $90 more expensive.

I like the constant 2.8, the 1:3 may be enough, and can live with the extra $$. At first blush, it seems that it would have less vignetting and corner sharpness problems.

Comments? Is anyone using this lens?

Mea cupa! not 10 - 50, 18 - 50

Edited by Deep6

I'm a big fan of the Tokina 10-180mm fisheye macro zoom. It's a very versatile lens ;-)

Wait, I meant the Tamron 70-200 :-)

If only a good 18x zoom existed eh?

Cheers

James

I'm a big fan of the Tokina 10-180mm fisheye macro zoom. It's a very versatile lens ;-)

Wait, I meant the Tamron 70-200 :-)

If only a good 18x zoom existed eh?

Cheers

James

Hi James,

You wouldn't happen to have a review, from an underwater perspective, of that lens laying around somewhere would you? :P

I think that Bruce Yates died of old age waiting for that review??

Wait, I meant he had no option but to go and buy a P&S Canon instead... :good:

Domo arigato,

Bruce...

Sponsors

Advertisements