Sign in to follow this  
emaltorio

Losing bulk, trimming down

Hi there

I am trimming down my dive gear , trying to be more streamlined , more compact and more comfortable underwater. I have dumped my drysuit and I am only using a Picasso 3mm for wam -temperate waters and a 5mm for Cold water 4- 9 degrees Celcius.

I have changed my cylindersders to a3l 5l 300bar, 7liter 300 bar .The 3l I mainly use to refill my airgun ,pressurize my Landy's tires and the 5litre for shallow dives as a easy jump off the boat solution.

I would like to minimize my BC , DV configuration. I feel the BC is a bit of a cumbersome piece of kit as I really don't use it for anything else than to hold the cylinder.

I have seen some real compact BC with integrated DV's in the press sometime ago- cannot recall the make ?

A spearo backpack like the effesub one that could accommodate a cylinder would be a real plus.

Any suggestions?

Why not go with a backplate and wing. Or if you do not need the boyancy, just a backplate. A Draeger or Interspiro firefighting harness is what many people around here use as a non-boyant alternative with a drysuit.

I changed my travel BCD to a DSS plastic plate and single tank wing some 18 months ago and I love it. Weighs about 2kg and packs really small. I dive the setup with a single piece harness which is just about as streamlined as it gets. Mind you, at home I dive 2*12/200, a steel plate and drysuit...

timo

timo

thank you for the good info, contacted the supplier , seems they produce composite cylinders that operate @300Bar with stainless head. Even more lightweight and no corrosion !!

Their Harness is exactly what Im looking for.

Edited by emaltorio

If you're looking to get more streamlined, go for a harness/backplate/wing combo. I dive the Halcyon Eclipse wing and its very compact. The harness means no bulky BCD material in front of you, just webbing to which you can add accesories.

Also consider a long hose/short hose combo. No more dangling hoses. And dump the console, they're the bulkiest most awkward piece of gear ever conceived that often dangle so far off divers they're like reef wrecking balls. Put your compass and computer on your wrist and just use a pressure guage on a shorter HP hose, clipped close to your body.

No I'm not preaching DIR, but they do have an extremely efficient & streamlined setup that I keep gravitating towards. Cheers,

Chris

Here is the secret : To lose bulk you need to eat less and excercise more. :uwphotog:

Practice your freediving skills :)

See you soon, I'll give you a call when I am back. Perhaps we can empty a few "cylinders" :nea:

When I went to a wireless computer that includes tank pressure readings and an AIR2 equivalent, I dropped 2 hoses and loved it. Perhaps you have already done that but if not, you might consider it. I only have 2 hoses now, one to the BC and one to my second stage. It was pricey compared to some options but I have been delighted with the results. I had no idea it would make so much difference.

seems they produce composite cylinders that operate @300Bar with stainless head. Even more lightweight and no corrosion !!

But,

You will end up compensating the weight advantage in lead...

timo

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements