ornate_wrasse

Nikon 5T and 6T with 105 Lens

I have an opportunity to purchase both the Nikon 5T and 6T close up lenses. I don't currently own any diopters and haven't used them before.

I'm thinking about buying them to use for my Indonesia trip (Lembeh, Bali and Wakatobi) for the small stuff. I checked and found out my 105mm has a filter size of 52, whereas both the Nikon 5T and 6T have a filter size of 62. I would have to buy a step up ring to use these diopters with my 105.

My questions are twofold.

1. Would I encounter any difficulties using the 5T and 6T with a step up ring on my 105? I'm thinking primarily of vignetting, but there could be other problems of which I'm not aware.

2. Would purchasing these be a good idea to use on my Indonesia trip?

In a very old thread, I saw that James recommended these diopters in the "high end underwater photographer's bag". I'm wondering if that's still the case.

Thanks for your input!

Ellen

1. Would I encounter any difficulties using the 5T and 6T with a step up ring on my 105? I'm thinking primarily of vignetting, but there could be other problems of which I'm not aware.

I'm using the 6T with the 105: no problem.

2. Would purchasing these be a good idea to use on my Indonesia trip?

If you have an opportunity to buy this lens: take it > I agree with James: it's good to have it in the bag!

Claude

Grab them while you can.

I had a 3T on most of the time while in Lembeh. Sometimes I used the 4T for pygmies. The 3T=5T 4T=6T, just different size. I used the 60mm for night dives or bigger subjects. If you don't have the 60mm, then use the 105 without diopters for bigger critters.

The 5T and 6T are precious items. I found an unboxed used 6T at a camera store. They sold it to me for $10.

The 5T and 6T are precious items. I found an unboxed used 6T at a camera store. They sold it to me for $10.

That was certainly your lucky day :uwphotog:

The price of the 6T that I just purchased was considerably more than that. :)

Thanks for the feedback. It was greatly appreciated and helped me to make my decision.

Ellen

Sponsors

Advertisements