Alex_Mustard

Nikon D3 and Subal ND3

Nice introduction Alex, looking forward to the rest of the report.

Phil Rudin

Sorry. Parts 2 and 3 are 2000 words each - plus there are lots of images too. It was just too much to post in one go.

Alex

Whoops. Part 2 was up on the front page momentarily - while I messed up uploading all the images and text!

Alex

Nice start Alex. That huge review screen really had me drooling. But I've decided to invest in (dry) Fixlights and lenses. LOL!

Looking forward to the next installment.

Rand

Edited by randapex

Oh come on Alex... 6000 words and a few pics is too much? Tell us the real reason... is WPSystem driving you nuts as well? I know I lost a couple of versions reviews in there.

well he does say it in his piece, use the d2x on the first dive, d3 on the second and never switched back. kinda says it all.

Edited by lou f

No conspiracy. I am just too busy to get it all up now - today is my first weekday in the UK for a month. All the images are still as RAWs so I am having to convert them and format them for Wetpixel!

Alex

Ok but does it do video? :uwphotog:

Part two is not up officially

OK, but un-officially then it is bloody interesting!

It came as a surprise to me how the 51 point autofocus transferred across to the FF.

This could be a bit of a handicap to the FF bodies

Naively I had ass-umed that the focus points on the Multi-Cam 3500 would be spread across the frame as they are on the DX bodies. Shows how little I know then.

Given your enthusiasm for the focus modes I guess I am going to have to try them!

Again Alex thanks for sharing this with us, putting this stuff together is a hell of a lot of work for little or minimal reward other than the gratitude of others.

Paul C

Thanks Alex; great review. Should help making the transition to FX much smoother.

really very informative and great pointers in there too, are you doing any talks at the NEC in november? there's always snipts to pick up on...

Speaking at NEC on both days - but it is general UW photo session and most attendees are divers rather than serious photographers. So it is a lot of getting a bit more from your compact and some photoshop tips. But if you come and ask interesting questions I will endeavour to give interesting answers...

Alex

well i'm probably heading over to give a few friends a hand picking out decent suits, but i'll also be getting my grubby hands on any decent dome ports for closer inspection. tolkina 12-24 behind my ikelite dome isn't cutting the mustard ;o)

Alex,

Thanks for posting such a great article, was looking forward to the latest edition each day.

Now can you also do one for the D700, D90, D......

All the best

Nigel

Thanks guys. I would happily do more reviews, but they underwater photography world is just not set up for them. People just don't have housings and cameras available for this purpose, which I feel is a pity.

In this case the review was possible because of the generosity of Ryan and Craig. I was supposed to get the D3 from Nikon UK, but this fell through as my trip coincided with some small sporting event in Beijing! Nikon are particularly keen to lend their D3 to Canon shooters at the moment!

Anyway, I agree it would be great to have more reviews available, particularly ones where photographers have not just bought the system.

Alex

I think reviews like this are invaluable and this one is especially well done. Since I believe you, Alex, are far more qualified than I am at this job, I'd be happy to lend you equipment any time I'm in a position to help. If you are interested in testing a modified D300, let me know. ;)

Alex makes a really good point about reviews: the best most un-biased review is usually done by someone who did not just buy the housing. I've done a few reviews like that (owned the Aquatica S2 housing but reviewed the Seacam), etc. I own the Seacam housing for the Canon MkIII but I'll soon be testing the Aquatica housing.

Cheers

James

Alex makes a really good point about reviews: the best most un-biased review is usually done by someone who did not just buy the housing. I've done a few reviews like that (owned the Aquatica S2 housing but reviewed the Seacam), etc. I own the Seacam housing for the Canon MkIII but I'll soon be testing the Aquatica housing.

Cheers

James

The inherent problem with this is that there aren't a lot of people that have access to housings they don't own, so the majority of comments about housing systems are going to be from owners. But you should also expect a fair degree of bias since if you're like me and do your research before you buy something, you'd likely choose the one you like the most to begin with. That shouldn't be a surprise.

I own the Aquatica housing for the D3. Perhaps you and I could swap housings and write reviews. ;)

Edited by Warren_L

Sponsors

Advertisements