Sign in to follow this  
Scuba_SI

So, if i was to move to canon...

What should i get?

5D? 1Ds Mk something or other?

I dislike my nikon focussing speed for above water, but also dislike the canon 'hold a button and press another' navigation.

I know there are many threads about this in the past... but i wonder if the D700/D300 D3's from Nikon make the playing field more level.

Also, if i do switch what lenses do i need?

100mm? 15mm?

i currently use 10.5, 12-24, 24-70, 70-180, 60, 105.

Anyone who has travelled with me knows that the grief i give Canon shooters is substantial, so feel free to laugh at me :uwphotog:

What should i get?

5D? 1Ds Mk something or other?

I dislike my nikon focussing speed for above water, but also dislike the canon 'hold a button and press another' navigation.

I know there are many threads about this in the past... but i wonder if the D700/D300 D3's from Nikon make the playing field more level.

Also, if i do switch what lenses do i need?

100mm? 15mm?

i currently use 10.5, 12-24, 24-70, 70-180, 60, 105.

Anyone who has travelled with me knows that the grief i give Canon shooters is substantial, so feel free to laugh at me :uwphotog:

How much do you want to spend? If you like your lenses etc, simplest and most economical thing is to get a D300. It's a great camera. I think the focusing speed is significantly faster than my D200 topside. Then the next question is do you want to change to full frame, and as you know that's a whole new ball game.

want me to smash Eric and steal his system?

anyhoo... stop the 2005 talk.

shut your hole and buy a video camera system

You should not want to switch to Canon because your autofocus speed is too slow. That's very much camera and lens dependent and you can get fast autofocus with Nikon. You certainly shouldn't be considering the current 5D if autofocus is your top priority.

With Nikon, choose only AF-S or similar macro lenses and a housing that supports the back focus option. There is a lens at every focal length that will do that, so Nikon doesn't have to be any worse (or different) than Canon in that regard. For wide it doesn't matter so much. A D300, D700, or D3 with the right housing and right lenses will address your AF concerns.

If switching to Canon is what you want, this moment is probably not the right time. The new 50D looks good on paper but isn't available yet. The 5D replacement is expected soon. The 1Ds3 is a very pricey choice if you feel the need to be impatient.

People argue Canon and Nikon and I think it's mostly pointless, but it's entirely pointless underwater. You don't shoot a brand underwater, you shoot and entire rig. The greatest body ergonomics in the world don't matter when it's a housing that you are handling. Fortunately, both brands are supported well, but you need to choose an entire system, not one component in a vacuum.

Thanks fellas.

Is there a housing that supports back focus without giving hand cramps? I normally pride myself in my dexterous grip but my nexus is terrible for everything but shutter speed.

Although i could make a lever and drill a hole in the plexiglass i guess.

Hi Simon,

you should definitely make the move to Canon. When you do, can I have first dibs on your housing?

Tim

The 40D is a good camera, with a strong following. I assume the newly announced 50D continues the tradition. Lenses Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 50mm macro, Canon 100mm macro.

Alex

Only the 1D series Mark I and II did that.

If you want back focus control, don't use Nexus. That's why I stopped considering them.

shut your hole and buy a video camera system

LOL, yeah... wonder if he has a new sugar momma. New video system then new SLR system.

Seriously though, Simon. Stay with Nikon. I mean AF speed differences is negligible once you compare the different equivalent models. And there's even cause to believe that the 1D series AF is still flawed (read the RobG report). If I were you, I'd upgrade to a housing that can handle a D700 and D300, then you can have the best of both worlds. But I think you've sworn off Nexus? :uwphotog:

Like Mike says, shut your hole and go buy a Red.

Simon... 5DMk2 LOL

Yeah but he wants a video rig too... ;) Can't have everything.

I'd suggest that the playing field is now pretty level - both major manufacturers are now vying with each other and cameras have technical specs which show minor advantages and disadvantages - or so they'd have us all believe - most are in fact nuances and are more arguable in theory than actuality (arguments rage in photo web fora!). My own suspicion is that most of the current cameras are capable of results beyond those required for a substantial amount of the images taken on them (possibly not a popular view!).

Craig nailed the situation for underwater shooters pretty well - "You don't shoot a brand underwater, you shoot and entire rig" and I fully agree with his additional comments that "The greatest body ergonomics in the world don't matter when it's a housing that you are handling. Fortunately, both brands are supported well, but you need to choose an entire system, not one component in a vacuum".

I'd go further and say that once you are used to one camera system, then changing systems is a substantial learning curve. I used Nikon for 25 years before making the switch to Canon (I wanted the full-frame format which Nikon didn't couldn't offer) and still find that I slip back into Nikon habits at times - and there are still camera controls and functions on my 1DS cameras which I neither know what they do nor use!

If there are problems with your existing system I'd suggest looking at other housings before shifting camera manufacturers. The grass though is always greener.......

Actually, when i say faster autofocus, i guess i mean more accurate and consistant. My 105mm AF-S is much like Drew on the dancefloor - it jumps around all over the place but often misses out on the final delivery... in the end having to switch to manual to achieve satisfaction. ;)

It has taken a while for me to realise how crap Nexus is, right now i like their handle grips and the fact you get a nice little tool box when you buy one. Other than that it is all negative but i wont list that here.

I'm going to get a 5DmkII when it comes out... I think.

If you're unsatisfied with Drew's dancing, perhaps you to put your freakum dress on. ;)

I wouldn't say Nexus is all negative, I'd say there are negatives just like every manufacturer. Nexus excels in manual focus macro.

The 5D2 is likely to be a great underwater camera but you will need to replan your lens choices for full frame. The 100/105 macro lens works differently.

If you're unsatisfied with Drew's dancing, perhaps you to put your freakum dress on. :)

;)

The 5D2 is likely to be a great underwater camera but you will need to replan your lens choices for full frame.

It is very tempting, the body is at a good price point SLRP and should street at less. All my lenses are for non-full frame and then of course there is the housing cost. (Well at least my ports will work :) ) Looking forward to seeing reviews of this one. And I swore to myself that I would not go crazy for more toys after I got my first dSLR set-up sorted out. :)

drew in a dress... looks good from behind with that girly hair i suppose, but not my cup of tea.

Simon, you will lose money selling your current lenses to purchase the Canon equivalents if you switch. Wait 4 months to go for the Nikon equivalent, will take that long for housing anyway. everyone knows nik will come out with the same in no time.. why lose the money? that will be in the thousands

drew in a dress... looks good from behind with that girly hair i suppose, but not my cup of tea.

How come I knew you would show up when something like that is mentioned? ;)

This is sort of like chumming for Mike V. appearences :)

I'm going to get a 5DmkII when it comes out... I think.

Shut your hole and go buy something! Your indecision is annoyingly like the way you dance, uncoordinated! ;)

If you're unsatisfied with Drew's dancing, perhaps you to put your freakum dress on. ;)

Ok I'm lost for words on that one? You want him to put on a dress because he's not happy with my dancing? :) :)

Well, at least I still have hair on my head and not everywhere else but like you. :D

Anyhow, Simon's got a new sugar momma. Either that or all that pole dancing for the jakarta pumas and cougars have paid off. He can afford to switch. :)

Seriously, Simon, sell them DX lenses and keep the FX lenses. You will probably go back to Nikon again. I still have a few Nikon lenses because their iTTL and flash system is still better than Canon. I'm just waiting for the 2nd market to flood with D700s for those who are switching to the 5D2. :)

Apparently he wasn't hot enough for you the last time you danced together. ;)

What happens in Bali stays in Bali ;):) :)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements